Build quality

Build quality
« on: January 02, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a Rev 2 16 voice again. I had a bad experience when they first came out in 2017. I tried 2 different units and took them both back because of bad encoders/voice anomalies and I've seen some reviews reporting issues as well. I have an OB6 desktop with no problems but I realize it's a different machine. Since they are now Sequential have things improved? Thanks.

LPF83

Re: Build quality
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:31:03 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Rev 2 16 voice again. I had a bad experience when they first came out in 2017. I tried 2 different units and took them both back because of bad encoders/voice anomalies and I've seen some reviews reporting issues as well. I have an OB6 desktop with no problems but I realize it's a different machine. Since they are now Sequential have things improved? Thanks.

I haven't had issues with mine (manufactured mid-late 2020) aside from it being shipped with the wooden ends not being tightened enough.  The ends didn't start to physically feel loose until I moved it a couple of times, and it's an easy enough fix but something like that makes one wonder if there is any sort of final inspection process built into the QA process over in manufacturing, whatsoever.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 09:47:06 AM »
Well, tightening  some screws I could deal with, although you're quite right, someone should be responsible for a hands-on final inspection. As long as all the knobs and voices work properly, it's better than before.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:52 AM »
My 2017 Rev2-16 had also encoder/voice anomalies but that was later on cured with software updates.
Some keys where a little loud in the beginning but that disapperared after some playing and tweaking of the front cover.

Unfortunately still even today many people (at least reading forums) believes the Rev2 have severe mechanical quality problem rather than something that can be easily fixed with software upgrades and avoid buying it.
More SW beta testing should have been done but we live in a hectic world where everything must be rushed.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:00:38 AM »
The rev2 suffered from two main issues for a long time and they were both related to software: encoder reading and digital effects somehow crashing. It looks like it took a while to fix them, not sure if that is an indication of the difficulty or resources availability.
Mechanically the rev2 is very simple, two metal sheets, two boards and one power supply.
This is not a bad thing as robustness comes with simplicity but I regret knobs are not bolted on the face plate.
Not sure how the unit will age, especially with knobs and wheels. I haven’t faced issues with mine so far but this will definitely differentiate cheap brands made in China from serious suppliers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:07:50 AM by Tugdual »