OS 1.63 Poly Pitchbend Issue MPE

OS 1.63 Poly Pitchbend Issue MPE
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »
Poly pitch bend is not working as expected on my two P6 Desktops.  Works fine on my OB6.

It seems to offset by a factor of 16.

If I set the instrument to 96 steps, it would respond correctly to my Seaboard @6 steps per octave (If I had that as a setting).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:36:47 AM by mmpro1 »
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

Re: OS 1.63 Poly Pitchbend Issue MPE
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
Anyone else seeing this?

Pym

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »
I am aware of this, it will be a week or so before I can look into that OS again but it will happen. I will be doing more full MPE testing then, just haven't had enough time lately due to covid childcare interruptions!

Anyone else seeing this?
Sequential

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
Thank you, Pym!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 04:52:34 AM »

Thanks!  Also, please check out unison patches, sometimes some voices go rogue.

I would be happy to help in debugging if you need any help.  I have a Haken Continuum and a Roli Seaboard, an OB6 and 2 P6s.

Cheers! 

I am aware of this, it will be a week or so before I can look into that OS again but it will happen. I will be doing more full MPE testing then, just haven't had enough time lately due to covid childcare interruptions!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »
I'm having issues as well... with childcare and the MPE on a Prophet 6 desktop. :lol: The scaling is way off and it doesn't seem to be per note. In other words, if I slide my finger up a note on my right hand at the same time I'm holding down a chord with my left, I hear the entire chord also move up in pitch, like it was just regular pitch bend.
You can't make everybody happy, but you can make everyone miserable.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 04:36:36 AM »

I haven't seen this in my system. Make sure nothing in your setup is rechanneling MIDI info to Channel 1. I will play around today and make sure I don't have this issue. Until the scaling bug is fixed, it's not going to work correctly anyway.

I'm having issues as well... with childcare and the MPE on a Prophet 6 desktop. :lol: The scaling is way off and it doesn't seem to be per note. In other words, if I slide my finger up a note on my right hand at the same time I'm holding down a chord with my left, I hear the entire chord also move up in pitch, like it was just regular pitch bend.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 01:28:12 PM »
I have a QuNexus, which does "channel rotation" for poly pitchbend. I'm note sure I fully have my head wrapped around the new MPE implement on the P6 quite yet. Does anyone know if the channel rotation method would work on a D6?

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »
The P6 needs the rotation to be on channels 2-7. Any message going to MIDI channel one will be global.

jmnes

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »

I also seem to be experiencing this both with pitchbend and Aftertouch/Pressure acting as global, instead of per channel/voice.  I'm watching the midi data in MidiPipe, so i'm certain it's transmitting on Channels 2-7 appropriately.  I also have the MIDI Channel set to MPE.

A simple test is to set the aftertouch to amp and make it fully negative.  Aftertouch should then choke out notes, but it should be per note I believe.  On mine with 1.6.3 it chokes all the notes with the last pressure used. 

Similarly, if you change the global pitchbend it affects the amount of pitchbend applied from channels 2-7, but the voice pitchbend does not change anything that i can tell.  You can hear all voice's pitch changing from pitchbend sent on channels 2-7.

CC74 seems to work appropriately, which you can test clearly by using a square oscillator and setting the destination to PW12/PWA.  In that case a max y value will choke out the note (because of a max pulse width, which is silent).  If you hold two separate notes, you'll see that you can choke them independently as intended.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 06:33:41 AM »
looks like they just uploaded a new OS.

jmnes

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 08:51:31 PM »
I also seem to be experiencing this both with pitchbend and Aftertouch/Pressure acting as global, instead of per channel/voice.  I'm watching the midi data in MidiPipe, so i'm certain it's transmitting on Channels 2-7 appropriately.  I also have the MIDI Channel set to MPE.

I'm happy to report that 1.6.6 fixed the pitch issue for me.  I also did some additional thinking and realized that it is necessary to use Polyphonic Aftertouch instead of Channel Aftertouch (since I believe Prophet 6 supported polyphonic aftertouch before this).  Once I made that change on my controller, the entirety of MPE control is working for me as expected.  Absolutely brilliant update!

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 02:36:36 PM »
Anyone else seeing this?

I notice it too on the 1.6.7
You can't make everybody happy, but you can make everyone miserable.