The P5/P10 needs glide options

The P5/P10 needs glide options
« on: December 23, 2020, 09:41:03 AM »
The P5/10 really needs more glide options. This limits it's monophonic abilities in a major way. I tried using the P10 here on some MIDI I did using a mono DX7 in "Fingered Porta" mode (portamento applied only to legato notes) and it sounded silly.

So much of the expression in bass parts is legato glide vs. non-glide/discrete notes.

This seems like a fairly painless additional feature to implement for such a big improvement.

Since it would likely require a button combo (glide + X), then just hitting the glide button would stay true to "vintage P5 glide mode"

Re: The P5/P10 needs glide options
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
The P5/10 really needs more glide options. This limits it's monophonic abilities in a major way. I tried using the P10 here on some MIDI I did using a mono DX7 in "Fingered Porta" mode (portamento applied only to legato notes) and it sounded silly.

So much of the expression in bass parts is legato glide vs. non-glide/discrete notes.

This seems like a fairly painless additional feature to implement for such a big improvement.

Since it would likely require a button combo (glide + X), then just hitting the glide button would stay true to "vintage P5 glide mode"

The P5/10 doesn’t have a glide button to press; just the glide time knob.

I agree though, would be nice to have legato-only glide as an option somehow.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 01:52:21 AM »
Its a Prophet 5 (10) where the beauty is in the simplicity and power. If it was a Shogun DXX1D XLS Turbo Plus Super Deluxe Extra Turbo I would except more than one portamento mode but not at a Prophet 5 (10).

Qwave

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 01:57:50 AM »
As the Prophet-5/10 Rev4 is based on the classic vintage Prophet-5, there is no need to add all technical bells and whistles possible . If you need the Prophet sound and a modern feature set, better get yourself a Prophet-6.
keep on turning these knobs

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 06:09:15 AM »
Oops. You’re right. There’s no button for the glide.

As I understand it, the original prophet didn’t have poly glide, so the new one has already deviated from the original. 

therefore the argument that it is somehow sullying the spirit of the original to add useful options to the glide is frankly silly.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 06:18:26 AM »
Maybe I was dreaming that if it did have a glide activation button, at the very least the legato mode could be automated into existence. Was in fantasy mode or something.  :o

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:21:09 AM by missingtwins »

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »
As the Prophet-5/10 Rev4 is based on the classic vintage Prophet-5, there is no need to add all technical bells and whistles possible . If you need the Prophet sound and a modern feature set, better get yourself a Prophet-6.

That's right. The P6 offers a bit more possibilities and a brighter sawtooth waveform to boot (actually closer to a vintage P5). It only lacks a 5 octaves keybed.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 05:17:28 AM »
This is a strange argument given that the new prophets have multiple features that deviate from the original.  Is aftertouch and USB midi a bell or whistle. Haha.

I mention the DX7 as my reference, the thing is just about as old as the original prophets - I wouldn’t call it a turbo synth lol.

But seriously, given that many players have built up techniques over decades using legato glide mode, it’s just seems like an easy implementation on this thing that in no way deviates from the spirit of the new version.

I have no interest in the P6. Sounds freeze dried compared to this P10 here  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »

That's what the Slop knob is for.  ;)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »

Alas, I've never found the Slop knob to make magic happen. The P5 (and I'm speaking of the OG machines - my rev 4 won't be delivered until next month) has that "beautiful blur" with an easy tweak of Osc B's Fine knob. I adore my P6, but Slop, to my ear, just sets the oscillators apart from each other, in a slightly wobbly way. Hence so many of us frothing over the notion of a Vintage option for the P6.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

Alas, I've never found the Slop knob to make magic happen. The P5 (and I'm speaking of the OG machines - my rev 4 won't be delivered until next month) has that "beautiful blur" with an easy tweak of Osc B's Fine knob. I adore my P6, but Slop, to my ear, just sets the oscillators apart from each other, in a slightly wobbly way. Hence so many of us frothing over the notion of a Vintage option for the P6.

That's one of the reasons why I chose the OB6 over the P6, because the oscillators are naturally slightly detuned (per Tom Oberheim's request) and I never needed the Slop knob.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 12:04:29 AM »
"WE WANT A PROPHET 5 REISSUE!!!"

Dave: "Are you sure? Have you checked the spec sheet for a P5?"

"WE WANT A PROPHET 5 REISSUE"

*Makes Prophet 5 reissue*

"WHY AREN'T THERE MORE FEATURES?????"

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 03:52:51 AM »
This is a strange argument given that the new prophets have multiple features that deviate from the original.  Is aftertouch and USB midi a bell or whistle. Haha.

Aftertouch, USB, MIDI, velocity, Fatar key system instead av J-wire, flash firmware and possibility to program every parameter from a modern DAW (tried out to program multistage envelopes, LFOs etc - awesome) has nothing to do with the classic sound but are modern and great features added.

Any portamento mode, if used as monosynth or multitracked, can be achieved via CV/Gate.

I think Dave Smith and his Sequential team has made an outstanding rev 4 of the classic Prophet 5. The only thing Dave missed is the classic batch at the rear, but I can take that :)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
The vintage knob is not that interesting to me. I keep it at rev4 almost exclusively when playing the P10.

It’s so wonky by rev2 I can’t imagine a use for it. The envelope randomization is very cool. The pitch wonk - not so cool. Guess I’ll be shot for asking for that feature as well ha!

I have tried multi tracking the same parts using dif settings of vintage knob between 4 and 3 - Sounded cool.

I guess I don’t see any issue adding features as I don’t care if it’s a slavishly accurate recreation of the P5 (something it is clearly not already). I just love the sound more than any other synth I have heard in years and naturally I want it to have certain features I’ve come to rely on. 

I stand by my desire that glide options would in no way take away from the New P5/10, not the least of which is that the glide options have already been expanded from the original with poly glide. 😂