Prophet 5/10 Noise LFO question.

Prophet 5/10 Noise LFO question.
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
Got my Prophet 5 2 weeks ago and have been loving every second with it! The one thing that has me perplexed though is the noise source in the mod section. I thought maybe this would act as a random voltage/sample and hold kinda thing at a lower frequency, but the frequency doesn't seem to be adjustable. What are the practical uses of this modulation source? Any sound design tips or tricks with this function y'all have come across? All I've got it to do is make unstable sqwarbly noises haha.

Re: Prophet 5/10 Noise LFO question.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
Got my Prophet 5 2 weeks ago and have been loving every second with it! The one thing that has me perplexed though is the noise source in the mod section. I thought maybe this would act as a random voltage/sample and hold kinda thing at a lower frequency, but the frequency doesn't seem to be adjustable. What are the practical uses of this modulation source? Any sound design tips or tricks with this function y'all have come across? All I've got it to do is make unstable sqwarbly noises haha.

When I think of noise I think of two things , usually percussive sounds and then adding a layer of corn beef in my pads. I could only imagine modulating a noise could lead to some interesting rhythmic ideas ? For example making a percussive sound open and close with a square wave or ramp up and down like a tremelo.

Have you found anything else out in the meantime?
Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »

It’s not something I’ve used much as a mod source, aside from to use a low level of it to modulate filter cutoff to give a bit of grit.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:56 PM »
I use it quite often, especially for two things. Modulating a squarewave to get a ”crunchy” buzzing leadsound.
Hard to explain how it sounds.
Its used for the leadsound in this song, in this case using a Nord Lead. Starts 0:25
https://youtu.be/0JVPcCZUt5E

I also use it for modulating FM patches to get percussive effects.
Like 4:24 in this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln7ylpbkx71ki9v/P5%20Rev4.wav?dl=0