trying to find a good reasonably priced 2 teer stand…

trying to find a good reasonably priced 2 teer stand…
« on: December 21, 2020, 08:37:39 AM »
I just got an Onstage Second teer attachment for my keyboard stand and it ended up being the exact same thing I already have. my Rev 2 is on top and my Yamaha Tyros 5 is on the bottom. The problem I'm having right now is that unless I tilt the Rev 2, Which interferes with the tilting display on the bottom keyboard, the Rev 2 is too high, Which makes it uncomfortable for me to program it. I have a Proline second teer where we practice, but I have recently heard that those have gotten bad reviews and I'm afraid to use it. both of the stands I'm using right now are Onstage brand X stands. I just need a good quality and reasonably priced second teer attachment for both of them. Any ideas?

Re: trying to find a good reasonably priced 2 teer stand…
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 07:56:36 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the 2 tier attachments either. Best I've found is using two separate X stands one behind the other adjusted a little taller than the front stand. 

maxter

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »
I've found this to be quite sturdy for the price:
https://www.thomann.de/se/fun_generation_universal_stand.htm?ref=search_rslt_fun%20generation%20stand_414877_0_11_473274d7-76c6-4adc-a18b-cb8acb1f5f94

Extension arms are available too, but cannot be tilted. Other than that, it's great value for the price.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
I didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a stand because I need that money to get a little mixer for practice, But it looks like my options are running pretty thin. I can't use two stands because of space constraints. I need something that I don't have to tilt, Where the second teer sits far enough back from the first one that it doesn't interfere with the operation of my bottom keyboard. I've only been able to find one stand so far that fits my needs, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money.

maxter

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
The one I linked to costs about $40, the extension arms $20, and CAN be tilted contrary to what I wrote earlier, I just haven't tilted mine. The second tier is far enough back that it doesn't interfere with the bottom synth, in my case a JD-800. If not, you could just flip the extension arms. You won't find anything nearly as good for less than $60.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:51:37 AM by maxter »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »
Another possibility is to use two stands, one behind the other, the back one higher than the front one.  The advantage is that, even though the upper keyboard must be set at the back of the other, you can see all the parameters on each instrument and even simultaneously hold notes on each keyboard with one hand.  It's an effective way to bridge musical sections.

The only problem is that the stands are a bit expensive.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStd--on-stage-stands-ks7150-platform-style-keyboard-stand

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:14:25 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
Yeah, that looks pretty optimal for playing. Especially the height, there's one foot between my top and bottom... Less if tilted of course, but I'm not fond of tilted keyboards, at least not in that direction. If I flip the extension arms the only difference would be the height... Hmm, maybe I should, but then it'll take up more space...

I have no issue with seeing all sliders on the bottom synth at least. But the height may be a bit off-putting, the stand is adjustable but the extension unfortunately isn't, the height is fixed at one foot.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »
This is what I've got:

https://www.proel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=11342

I've got a Yamaha Motif XS6 on the bottom and a Rev 2 on top.  Allows good access to both.  Well built, sturdy stand that doesn't take up any more space than necessary.

maxter

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 08:10:43 AM »
Another possibility is to use two stands, one behind the other, the back one higher than the front one.  The advantage is that, even though the upper keyboard must be set at the back of the other, you can see all the parameters on each instrument and even simultaneously hold notes on each keyboard with one hand.  It's an effective way to bridge musical sections.

The only problem is that the stands are a bit expensive.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStd--on-stage-stands-ks7150-platform-style-keyboard-stand

Looking at the design of that stand, it's practically the same as mine, but likely higher quality considering the price difference. I really would like to get a second stand to setup like yours, it's just an issue of space in my case, so I'll probably stick with the extension.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
Looking at the design of that stand, it's practically the same as mine, but likely higher quality considering the price difference. I really would like to get a second stand to setup like yours, it's just an issue of space in my case, so I'll probably stick with the extension.

Naturally, the stand can be adjusted for both height and width.  Plus, there are adjustable little feet on the legs, in case you're on an uneven floor.  This arrangement is a decent option and one I far prefer to the types of stands that are the norm today.  It's the best I can do to imitate the older method of letting the front feet of one synthesizer rest on the back top panel of the other synthesizer.  Dave is very conservative with space, so that on his instruments there's no room behind the back row of knobs for such a set up.

Consider also this stand, which looks much better, but does have a little wobble to it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStdF--gator-frameworks-gfw-utility-tbl-heavy-duty-keyboard-table

By the way, a merry and blessed Christmas to you, Maxter!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:23:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Naturally, the stand can be adjusted for both height and width.  Plus, there are adjustable little feet on the legs, in case you're on an uneven floor.  This arrangement is a decent option and one I far prefer to the types of stands that are the norm today.  It's the best I can do to imitate the older method of letting the front feet of one synthesizer rest on the back top panel of the other synthesizer.  Dave is very conservative with space, so that on his instruments there's no room behind the back row of knobs for such a set up.

Consider also this stand, which looks much better, but does have a little wobble to it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformStdF--gator-frameworks-gfw-utility-tbl-heavy-duty-keyboard-table

By the way, a merry and blessed Christmas to you, Maxter!

I agree, I really like the design, sturdy and adjustable. If using footpedals, as Josh C apparently does, it's definitely the way to go. No problem to accomodate a 25-key basspedal even.

I'm allergic to wobbly stands, my days of using X-stands are over...

Thanks, although I don't actually celebrate it anymore for certain reasons. But anyhow, merry Christmas and blessed holidays to you too!  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:21:05 AM by maxter »

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
I've been using Quiklok stands for years now. They're 3 tiers (but can be set to be only 2). They're a bit wobbly sometimes if I play intensely on my synths, but sturdy nonetheless. Mine is the previous model QL-623, but the current one QL-723 is almost identical.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anx70wpszz5lw41/Synths.HEIC?dl=0

They're around $150 which is reasonably priced for a 3 tier stand.
But there are probably better ones out there for only 2 tiers.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 11:53:42 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
My stand situation required a lot of thought because of the small size of the spare bedroom I call my studio...  Every inch counts in small spaces, as does the placement of things.

So, its not cheap but my primary stand was special ordered from Jaspers in Germany (because even Thomann's which is their USA retailer didn't carry the particular model I wanted).  It is a 4 tier stand with wheel casters... the wheels were actually a major feature I wanted, so that I can pivot the synths out to get to the closet behind them easily.  I can't describe the value of the closet space that would have otherwise been blocked, so that flexibility was worth WAY more than the difference of a less expensive stand.  The other bonus is that it is an absolute tank...  With very spirited playing, there is no wobble or movement.   I'm pleased with overall construction and the ease of tilting each synth on the fly.  Good analog synths are expensive and after I add a Prophet 10, there will be about $15k sitting on a single stand so the quality of construction is important to me.

Forgot to add, I also have an Ultimate Support Apex (2 tier) and an QuickLok (1 tier) stand that are very good at what they do (fold up easily and hold 1-2 boards).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:08:48 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC