Korg MS-20

Korg MS-20
« on: December 14, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »
Has anyone used the Pro 3 to control the Korg MS-20? I just became the lucky recipient of one. Is there a way for the Pro 3 to send Hz/Oct? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Korg MS-20
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
Has anyone used the Pro 3 to control the Korg MS-20? I just became the lucky recipient of one. Is there a way for the Pro 3 to send Hz/Oct? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
You'd need a V/Hz standard converter to make it work well with oscillators. I know the newer Disting Eurorack modules handle that. There are also stand along breakout boxes that handle conversions but I'm less familiar with them.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
I believe a voltage converter will allow an MS-20 to control eurorack modules.  But is it possible for an MS-20, by means of its patchbay, to control at least the triggers and pitches of a standard modern synthesizer module?

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »
How about a comparison between the two? I was kinda wanting a MS20. I like the direct, simple knob interface and old school patch cables. But the Pro 3 seems to blow it away in almost every detail and as a plus has patch memory which is a necessity for live use, IMO.

Moho

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:48:47 AM »
How about a comparison between the two? I was kinda wanting a MS20. I like the direct, simple knob interface and old school patch cables. But the Pro 3 seems to blow it away in almost every detail and as a plus has patch memory which is a necessity for live use, IMO.

Difficult to make a comparison, the MS20 is as much a state of mind as it is a synthesizer, many things about it to love, many to hate, usually the same things, its glorious and infuriating in equal measures. Its not complicated but it is complex.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
I may still want to get an MS 20 at some point, but the Pro 3 would be more practical for live use.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 08:14:04 PM »
How about the sound differences? I know the filters in the MS are going to be way different, but the Pro 3 is really cool in that it has the three flavors of filter to mess with, all with their own thing going on.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:39:47 PM »
How about the sound differences? I know the filters in the MS are going to be way different, but the Pro 3 is really cool in that it has the three flavors of filter to mess with, all with their own thing going on.

I've never played a Pro 3, but I'm certain you're correct in saying that the MS filters will be way different! I've had an MS-10 forever, and an MS-20mini for a few years. The MS line is a world unto itself. Weird howl-y, yowling filters. Goats and cats and ghosts and 1978 are yours for the conjuring. These synths can also do simple and clear and lovely and mysterious and murky and etc. Considering the relatively low cost of the MS-20mini, I'd say it's well worth adding it to a synth collection.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
For sure. The MS 20 mini may well be a bargain, but of course the MS 20 FS is out now and looks and sounds really great! But I think it would have to be mostly studio only with no patch memory and all those knobs to tweak.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »
the MS filters will be way different! ... Weird howl-y, yowling filters.

It'd be cool if the Pro 3 had a squelchy MS-20 style filter with the headphone-jack-to-line-in "brute factor" trick to make it really scream.  Maybe I just haven't figured out how yet, but I've had difficulty getting it to make those types of sound.

Kosmikos

• https://kosmikos.bandcamp.com
    • Kosmikos on bandcamp.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 01:45:53 PM »
Eurorack, Steve’s MS 22, and all your fantasies of a Korg MS 20 like filter solved.
I also have an aisynthesis OTA that I built as a DIY kit, but it is not as screaming as the MS 22.
I do love my Pro 3 filters, but I agree a 4th low pass (and 5th high pass) MS20 like filter would have been a killer addition to an already amazing synth.