Prophet Rev 2 Hum

Prophet Rev 2 Hum
« on: December 12, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
Recently purchased an 8 voice Rev 2 with keys after using a desktop for a few months. Within my studio I go through a scarlett interface and have had no problems. At band practice I go through a powered monitor and both the desktop I had that I recently parted with and the new keys version both have a pretty loud hum noise. Now at practice I have used several synths plugged into the exact same cable and monitor including a Nord, Deepmind 12, Sub Phatty, and Microkorg and no board has given me this loud of noise before. Are Prophets really this annoyingly noisy? Has anyone had this problem before and what has been the fix? Thanks!

Re: Prophet Rev 2 Hum
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:14:10 PM »
it's a ground loop. if you use a DI box it should get rid of it. My Yamaha Tyros keyboards used to hum like that until I started using a DI box. i'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that the Rev 2 has unbalanced outputs just like the Tyros 5 does, but connecting via XLR from the DI box to the mixer should kill the hum. if you want to run your Rev 2 in stereo, you will need a stereo DI box. I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 06:25:28 AM »
Try to remove USB cable, if you use one. Does it help?

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
I would also suspect the USB cable.
Another test is to use a stereo cable providing that the sound card has balanced inputs, it will work to the detriment of a 6dB attenuation since the REV2 has normal outputs. If you still hear the hum, that is no radio parasite, most likely a cable issue.
Basically... what others said :)