Accessing full range of Osc shape from a mod source - possible?

rb415

Accessing full range of Osc shape from a mod source - possible?
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »
Here's one that's got me stumped.

I'd like for the mod wheel (in this case) to modulate Osc Shape, and scan its entire range. The values for that parameter go from -127 to +127, so setting up a mod matrix entry with the wheel applying a max modulation amount of +127 for the slot gets me half way - from triangle to sawtooth. That works as expected.

I sort of assumed though that adding another identical slot would double the potency of the wheel, so to speak, and let me get all the way to square, but something unexpected happens. I still don't get to scan that second part of the osc shape range, from sawtooth to square, but I do get to sawtooth in half the movement of the wheel. So the 2 matrix slots seem to be working together, but I'm still stuck in that -127 to 0 range, rather than being able to utilise -127 to +127.

What am I missing?

chysn

Re: Accessing full range of Osc shape from a mod source - possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:45:24 PM »
Does this work the same way for Oscillator 3? That is, is there no way to travel all the way through a wavetable with a single modulation source?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 06:29:06 AM »
Can you add DC modulation to that slot via another slot?

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
Here's one that's got me stumped.

I'd like for the mod wheel (in this case) to modulate Osc Shape, and scan its entire range. The values for that parameter go from -127 to +127, so setting up a mod matrix entry with the wheel applying a max modulation amount of +127 for the slot gets me half way - from triangle to sawtooth. That works as expected.

I sort of assumed though that adding another identical slot would double the potency of the wheel, so to speak, and let me get all the way to square, but something unexpected happens. I still don't get to scan that second part of the osc shape range, from sawtooth to square, but I do get to sawtooth in half the movement of the wheel. So the 2 matrix slots seem to be working together, but I'm still stuck in that -127 to 0 range, rather than being able to utilise -127 to +127.

What am I missing?

This appears to be a bug... just checked and confirmed that both Osc1 and Osc2 Shape seem to be hard limited in the amount of modulation that can be applied...  so, yeah, currently not possible to swing the whole variable shape via mod wheel / slider, even with extra mod slots.  Do you wanna submit a support ticket?  They can probably add to the list for future firmware update.

@chysn - the wavetable modulation is a separate modulation type: "Shape Mod" rather than "Shape".    You can modulate all the way through wavetable shape mod with a single source like Mod Wheel / Slider...  or via an envelope.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

rb415

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 07:29:13 AM »
Thank you all for taking the trouble with this. I got caught up in other jobs for a few days, but have just come back to it. For my own interest (and sanity) I just tried an additional mod slot with DC applying +127, as @Quatschmacher suggested, but it doesn't do the trick. There certainly seems to be a +127 modulation limit on that parameter, and I agree with @creativespiral that it looks a lot like a bug. Support ticket it is...

rb415

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 02:30:31 AM »
To tie up this thread: I submitted a support ticket and Sequential have acknowledged the modulation limit as a probable bug to be addressed in a future firmware release. Nice quick response, and let's hope it can actually be sorted before too long.