The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Prophet 5/10 USB MIDI

Prophet 5/10 USB MIDI
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:34:56 AM »
Is anyone else having issues with MIDI via USB.  I'm connecting to a Macbook with USB-C and can receive but not send MIDI (MIDI OUT from the synth not working). Over 5PIN it works fine.  Also, when the laptop goes into sleep mode the USB MIDI no longer works at all.

*I've managed to get MIDI OUT working if using another cable - USB B to USB A with an adaptor* so maybe there's a specification on the MIDI cable that I'm missing.

Is anyone able to use a USB-B to USB-C, and if so what cable are you using?

Thanks.

Re: Prophet 5/10 USB MIDI
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:31:06 AM »
Hi Starsky,

I have no direct solution for you, but maybe something to troubleshoot.

1. USB is a serial connection established between two devices (point to point). It does not have directions (e.g. one link to send data and one link to receive data). So if the connection works one way (send for instance) there is no cable thing, that could it make not working in the other direction.

2. You still can try another cable. There are so called "printer" cables available with USB-C to USB-B directly. No Adapter in it.

3. You could also use a USB-B to USB-A cable with an USB-A to USB-C adapter. I am not sure if the USB-B to USB-A Adapter could work or not, but I only have seen it, when you want to create a USB-B to USB-B cable by using USB-B to USB-A Adapter and a USB-A to USB-B standard cable. That is when you want to use for instance a Deluge as a USB-host (which normally has a USB-A port) to use it with an external midi controller keyboard (which has all kinds of USB-slave ports (Micro, Mini, USB-B).

Hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
Having lots of midi issues, with USB and 5-pin. Using Logic, by chance? I find something about Logic is making the Prophet freeze up and not accept midi in. If you try power cycling the Prophet and unplug and replug the Midi out (or USB) that sometimes solves it. Not perfect, but gives some hints about what might be happening.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
Having lots of midi issues, with USB and 5-pin. Using Logic, by chance? I find something about Logic is making the Prophet freeze up and not accept midi in. If you try power cycling the Prophet and unplug and replug the Midi out (or USB) that sometimes solves it. Not perfect, but gives some hints about what might be happening.

Same here. Often starts off OK and then suddenly the buttons in particular become inoperable. Fixed only by unplugging and sometimes restarting. Thatís with logic, single channel, same channel set on P10.

The other thing which is displaying odd behaviour is the portamento. Very inconsistent, nothing until 12 oíclock, doesnít work on every note played either singly or as chords. I havenít quite sussed whether this is also a MIDI problem.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:32:51 PM by Urowho »

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »

Same here. Often starts off OK and then suddenly the buttons in particular become inoperable. Fixed only by unplugging and sometimes restarting. Thatís with logic, single channel, same channel set on P10.

The other thing which is displaying odd behaviour is the portamento. Very inconsistent, nothing until 12 oíclock, doesnít work on every note played either singly or as chords. I havenít quite sussed whether this is also a MIDI problem.

Iím having the same problems using midi controllers.  Need to get fixed.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 02:59:41 PM »
Same issue here, and on OS 1.5.2 on my Prophet 5. It will just stop sending MIDI over USB after a time. And it's not an issue with Logic - it's the P5 itself, because no app sees MIDI from it after a while. I'm using MIDI Monitor which still sees the P5 connected, but no incoming MIDI. Power cycling the P5 brings it back to life in all apps.

Hopefully there can be a fix for this, as it gets annoying after a while to have to keep power cycling a $3500 synth ;-)
Jim Daneker
Composer/Producer, Nashville TN
www.jimdaneker.com

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Not sure if it helps isolate the issue, but with USB B to USB A cable, Windows and Cubase I don't seem to have issues with the P10 and MIDI or my other synths.  All of my Sequential gear using USB at the moment, connected to 2 different hubs then into the PC.

Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Moog SlimPhatty, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 11.