Mopho output pan bug?

Mopho output pan bug?
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:57:16 AM »
Hello. I just bought a used Mopho in nice condition. Noticed right away that most programs are pretty guiet, while some are A LOT louder. I investigated and found that all the loud patches had an LFO modulating the output pan. Regardless of the frequency and shape setting of the LFO, it acts as gain, turn up the amount of modulation and the volume gets louder and louder.. Why is that? As far as I understand this should only modulate the panning, I donīt understand why it makes the program volume louder.. So I have to sacrifice 1 LFO in each patch to modulate output pan to get normal volume, or I have to remove this modulation from each patch that uses it so I donīt have massive differences in patch volume... Is my MOPHO buggy? Should I put the OS on again? It shows version 1.4 which seems like the latest version.

chysn

Re: Mopho output pan bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
I've had two Mophos (yellow brick and keyboard), and neither of them behaved like this. You should not have to modulate the output pan to get a correct level. It could be a bad op-amp or other component on the board, and probably the panner sends the signal through a different, undamaged path.

My understanding is that DSI's repair service is a pretty reasonable fixed-rate sort of thing. You should contact support and see if you can get your little guy fixed up. Once you do, I'm sure you'll love it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Mopho desktop output pan bug?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:22 AM »
I overwrote all the patches and this solved it - output pan no longer modulates volume.
It behaves like expected, only thing is that now some of the factory programs donīt make a sound at all... for example 3,8,12,17,18,21,25,29,33,34,55,62,63,69,73-76,... I didnīt check further.. does someone see a pattern here? Looks quite random to me.
I can overwrite these patches with my own, no big deal since I want to make my own sounds anyway.. I am just afraid that I make a killer program and then it... disappears... quess Iīll just have to see and record a lot just in case.
I live in Estonia, so I would probably have to send it to another country if it needed repairs.. ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:19:54 AM by eksotik »

chysn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:38 AM »
If you're okay with it as it is, then great. But it really seems like something is wrong with it, so if you can take advantage of a return policy to find another one, you may save yourself some headaches later.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:03 AM »
If it wonīt forget my programs Iīm golden.
I am quite excited about this thing so as soon as I get home again I am going to be programming it and playing it... Iīll let you know how it goes.

Whatīs the return policy like when I bought it used ?

chysn

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
Whatīs the return policy like when I bought it used ?

That would depend on the seller, who should have posted a return policy somewhere. The sale may also be subject to applicable laws of Estonia.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:12 AM »
Hey, I think I figured it out - there WAS indeed a pattern in the patches I listed...
They were all waiting for MIDI clock!  ;D lol, when I actually feed them clock or put clock to internal everything works. I know that sounds like a rookie mistake haha, I am actually no noob and study a lot of the technical aspects of music and musictech but syncing hardware is quite new to me. Itīs actually quite funny, sry for wasting your time :D

But still, the thing with output pan modulating volume was strange, although that went away and everything seems OK now.