Prophet 6 Module: Midi IN from external keyboard, and midi OUT via USB?

Hi there,

I recently got a Prophet 6 Desktop that I absolutely love.

Here is the thing, I'm trying to be conscious of the number of USB ports I use, and was wondering if what I'm trying to do was actually possible.

I want to be able to connect my external keyboard to the Prophet via Midi, and with my Prophet connected to my laptop via USB being able to print the midi from the keyboard and also use it a regular midi keyboard for other VSTs.

[External Keyboard Midi Out] -> [Prophet 6 Midi In]
[Prophet 6 USB] -> [Macbook Pro]

By doing this I'm hoping that anything I do via this external keyboard is transmitted via Midi Channel in Ableton.

There is sound coming from my Prophet, so the Midi connection works, but there is no Midi coming out of the Prophet via USB in Ableton Live. The Prophet is recognized, set as an Input and an Output, and I clicked on "Track" for both.

The settings I'm using are:
Midi Channels: ALL
Midi Clock: OFF
Clock Port: USB
Param Xmit: CC
Param rcv: nr
Midi Control: ON
Midi Sysex: Midi
Midi Out: USB

and Local Control is OFF

Thank you for your help!

Re: Prophet 6 Module: Midi IN from external keyboard, and midi OUT via USB?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
I think what you are expecting is that prophet works as a MIDI trough but from MIDI input to USB output. And I don't think it is able to do it. Search on the manual, but I think I wanted to do the same in the past and couldn't do it.

What you can try is using a USB midi keyboard with both outputs (USB and DIN). So, you can send MIDI to the prophet using the DIN output and the same data will be output from the USB to ableton. In ableton, you select on the channel which input do you want to receive MIDI from. 

Hope it is what you are looking for.

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
You're hoping that the Prophet will act as a MIDI merger, which it will not.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
Thank you both for your input!

What you can try is using a USB midi keyboard with both outputs (USB and DIN). So, you can send MIDI to the prophet using the DIN output and the same data will be output from the USB to ableton. In ableton, you select on the channel which input do you want to receive MIDI from. 

This is exactly what I ended up doing, I was hoping I could avoid using a USB port for the midi controller but it works out.