REV2 tuning shifted globally

REV2 tuning shifted globally
« on: November 30, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »

Hi everyone. I have what I hope is a very obvious issue (with obvious fix) and I'm just being an idiot.

All my patches/the synth play 5 semitones higher than the key pressed. Given that this is the case on all patches (and the init patch) I'm guessing it isn't some issue with the osc 1/2 freq knobs being saved in the wrong position or something like that.

- Running v1.15.9
- I messed around with the alternate tunings a while back, but changed back to 1. equal temperament
- I've since done a tuning calibration but that didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help!

jok3r

Re: REV2 tuning shifted globally
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Just for completeness: your master coarse setting in the globals is set to 0?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »
Just for completeness: your master coarse setting in the globals is set to 0?

Yep, set to 0....

maxter

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
I’m sorry to hear this. I had the exact same problem when I was using OS 1.9, and I found no solution to it other than when I finally installed 1.1.5.9 it went away. I had tried to reinstall that other OS, and calibrate the Rev2 a couple of times already, but nothing fixed it.

Sorry for not being any help, just thought I should let you know.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »
No worries, thanks for sharing. I guess I'll go to -5 on the global coarse setting and wait for the next firmware update in that case!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »
Perhaps recalibrating the pitch bend wheel?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:58:27 PM »
Hey I'm just chiming in to say that I have just noticed the exact same thing - globally shifted by 5 semitones on all patches. My global shift is set to zero. I've tried power cycling it and recalibrating the mod wheels and the oscillators. Caffeinated, did you find a solution?

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:26:27 PM »
I installed pym's firmware 1.9 and that fixed the issue

maxter

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:09:47 AM »
I installed pym's firmware 1.9 and that fixed the issue

That's interresting, my experience is the reverse... a 5 semitone offset using 1.9, but not with 1.1.5.9

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 09:46:00 PM »
makes me think it's something to do with the alternate tunings. I was just thinking of messing with those earlier this evening but I'm glad I read this thread before doing it. has anyone who has had this problem done a reset of the globals? it may seem like a stupid question but I'm just curious if that would resolve the issue.

maxter

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 05:15:04 AM »
Yes, I reset and recalibrated everything, and reinstalled OS. All of this multiple times, there was just no way to solve it but to change OS.

That 1.9 had some strange bug however, at certain osc detune settings, the saw wave was more like a triangle, but just at one certain octave range, above and below that the saw was normal.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 12:57:42 PM »
have you tried going into the debug menu, clearing all calibration data, then recalibrating?

maxter

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
Yup. Did all there is to do, in various orders. Nothing helped. Only changing the OS.

I've had even more peculiar problems though, so I wasn't too surprised. One particular OS "transposed" all NRPN's up 120 steps. Just that particular OS, so I degraded to the previous OS until an even newer OS was released that worked fine (in this regard). I tried several OS's during my trouble-shooting, re-calibrating etc etc, to try to find an explanation, but nothing. I posted about it here, but it seems noone had experienced the same problem (of those who use NRPN's). Still, noone has a clue as to how or why this could and did happen, afaik.

I don't see a point in trying to find out why things don't work on the Rev2 anymore, ie troubleshooting, as sometimes there seem to be specific bugs to specific units. Or as in this case, reverse bug behaviors between different units and OS's.

It's like the Rev2 is haunted.