Modulation source: a few details

Modulation source: a few details
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »
Hi,

I have a few questions to ask about modulation sources:

1 - What does DC mean? There is a modulation source called DC. I don't understand what this means.

2 - There is a source named "Breath", which source is used when using it?

3 - Source named "Random": What does the random source use to modulate?

4 - Fallow Env: Where are the Fallow Envelope sources?

5 - Peak Hold: This is to hold a peak. Can someone tell me more?

Thank you for your answers

__ FR

Salut,

J'ai quelques question à poser au sujet des sources de modulation:

1 - Que veut dire DC ? Il existe une source de modulation nommée DC. Je ne comprend pas ce que cela évoque.

2 - Il existe une source nommée "Breath", quelle source est utilisée au moment de son utilisation ?

3 - Source nommée "Random": Qu'utilise la source random pour moduler ?
 :)
4 - Env Fallow: Ou sont les sources Enveloppe Fallow ?

5 - Peak Hold: Il s'agit de tenir une crête. Peut-on m'en dire plus ?

Merci pour vos réponses

Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

Re: Modulation source: a few details
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 01:21:25 PM »
Hi,

I have a few questions to ask about modulation sources:

1 - What does DC mean? There is a modulation source called DC. I don't understand what this means.

2 - There is a source named "Breath", which source is used when using it?

3 - Source named "Random": What does the random source use to modulate?

4 - Fallow Env: Where are the Fallow Envelope sources?

5 - Peak Hold: This is to hold a peak. Can someone tell me more?

Thank you for your answers

__ FR

Salut,

J'ai quelques question à poser au sujet des sources de modulation:

1 - Que veut dire DC ? Il existe une source de modulation nommée DC. Je ne comprend pas ce que cela évoque.

2 - Il existe une source nommée "Breath", quelle source est utilisée au moment de son utilisation ?

3 - Source nommée "Random": Qu'utilise la source random pour moduler ?
 :)
4 - Env Fallow: Ou sont les sources Enveloppe Fallow ?

5 - Peak Hold: Il s'agit de tenir une crête. Peut-on m'en dire plus ?

Merci pour vos réponses

DC is direct current - just a constant amount set by the value you enter into the matrix.

Breath is usually CC2.

I don’t understand what you’re asking in your third question. Are you asking what the random source is? I would guess a white noise source. Or are you asking what destination you might modulate with it?

Do you mean “envelope follower”? If so, it tracks the volume envelope of external audio. (I used my bass guitar into the Pro 2 to trigger the envelopes.)

Peak Hold I guess hold the highest value of what controls it. So if an envelope is used, then the destination assigned to peak hold would keep whatever the maximum value of the envelope was until it receives a higher value. I haven’t really thought of a place I’d use this though.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
1. DC allows you to offset the value of a chosen parameter. Let’s say you choose DC as a modulation source and assign it to the filter cutoff frequency with a modulation amount of +50. +50 will be the offset amount you just created that will cause the filter to open accordingly. So basically DC allows you to permanently shift a parameter value.

2. BREATH stands for breath controller.

3. If you use RANDOM as a modulation source, the modulation destination will be modulated by a different amount each time you press a key. If you, for example, assign RANDOM to control the oscillators’ frequency, a different pitch will be created every time you press a key.

4. ENV FOLLOW stands for envelope follower. Envelope followers are used to convert incoming audio signals to control voltages, so you can use the external audio signal of a guitar to trigger the progression of a sequence, for example.

5. The modulation source PEAK HOLD takes the momentary peak of the external audio input and uses it as a modulation signal. PEAK HOLD acts like a gate signal and can be used to control the Pro 3’s VCA or filter levels, for example.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:22:38 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »
Thank you very much for these answers, it helps me a lot. I will think more easily now;)
I will test all of this :)

Really, thank you !

__FR
Merci beaucoup pour ces réponses, ça m'aide beaucoup. Je vais réfléchir plus facilement maintenant  ;)
Je vais faire des essais sur tous ça  :)

Vraiment merci !

Au plaisir
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D