What (if anything) are you using to stereo-ize yer Prophets?

S_A_P

What (if anything) are you using to stereo-ize yer Prophets?
« on: November 28, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »
Since I was pretty happy with the sound(if not the accuracy vs a real Dimension D) of the BBD-320 I bought an extra one that I stick directly after the Prophet 10. I like this because even in bypass mode it will output a 'stereo' signal. Ive noticed that while the lfo in the BBD320 is a bit faster than the original unit, it is similarly subtle enough to not immediately become too chorusy, while giving some movement to the sound. I know that the B word isnt the most popular around here for good reason, so are there any other effects/pedals that you run after your rev4s?

Shaw

Re: What (if anything) are you using to stereo-ize yer Prophets?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Since I was pretty happy with the sound(if not the accuracy vs a real Dimension D) of the BBD-320 I bought an extra one that I stick directly after the Prophet 10. I like this because even in bypass mode it will output a 'stereo' signal. Ive noticed that while the lfo in the BBD320 is a bit faster than the original unit, it is similarly subtle enough to not immediately become too chorusy, while giving some movement to the sound. I know that the B word isnt the most popular around here for good reason, so are there any other effects/pedals that you run after your rev4s?

... a prophet 5 module...

... or a second recorded channel...

... or Eventide box of your choice.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:13:13 AM »
Im in the choir of a second recorded channel. As option, if not just going mono and a great sounding reverb (in my case PCM80) I sometimes use the Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble. But there are two drawback and workaround: It color the sound, use it as an aux send at the mixing console instead of insert. It will clip at normal signal strength (common with many older devices), lower the input/turn down the channel fader will fix it. As the pedal as great I consider to mod the input to handle stronger signals.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
In the pedal world, the Boss Was Craft DC-2W is a pretty bang-on recreation of the Dimension D. In the software realm, the UA version is killer, as is the Eventide H910 for more of a 70s Phil Collins sort of thing.

One of my favorites though for a really wide stereo image is Logic's chorus plugin. However, it sucks up a lot of high end detail, so I use it on a bus in an aux send approach, set to 100% wet, and blend with the dry signal. And finally, good ol' double tracking with that vintage knob is a thing of beauty!
Jim Daneker
Composer/Producer, Nashville TN
www.jimdaneker.com

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »
I‘m thinking of get a strymon deco to add a bit of stereo to my Prophet 10. It sounds very interesting 🤔

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »
I‘m thinking of get a strymon deco to add a bit of stereo to my Prophet 10. It sounds very interesting 🤔

I agree with others here that a light use of chorus will give a nice stereo effect.  That's how we did it back in the day with the original P-5's.  Of course, you have two tracks running with slight detuning it will get you to the same spot. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 08:00:00 PM »
Dry P5 panned to the left, Roland RE-501 Chorus/Spring/Tape Delay on the right!  Friggin yuuuuuge!

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
I'm amazed at just how big the thing sounds anyway, can only be described as gurt lush. Piping it through my h9000 with almost any of the delays/choruses/reverbs/microtonal shifters/shimmers etc means getting nothing done due to just marvelling at the beauty of the sound!

ddp

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »
I have an Eventide H9 on a switchbox for a bank of synths, mostly for the Minimoog, the P10 is going there.  If anyone buys a second P10 for their P10, I would enjoy reading the review.  ;-)
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
I am currently using the Strymon DIG. You can create a nice stereo chorus with it and still have access to a delay. Sounds amazing to me.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »
I have the Boss DC-2w and it doesn’t have enough headroom without a sort of workaround, kind of disappointing.

Strymon or Eventide is probably the best bet

OB6, Tempest, Subsequent 37 Nord Stage 2 EX. Mainly guitar....

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
DC-2w on an aux send to the mixer. Makes it HUGE. I haven't had any problems with headroom like pilgrims did. Perhaps because of it being on the aux send. Also, gfi specular reverb on another aux send with stereo return.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 07:21:22 AM »
So didn‘t get a strymon deco but hooked up my Moog M104 analog Echo plus strymon big sky. I‘m done 😍

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »
I have a pretty short chain, but everything down the line stereos the signal up pretty nicely on its own. A Deco, a Serpah, a Timeline and an ASR1.

The Fromel Serpah (a DimD/DC-2 clone) does a nice subtle stereo widening thing. The independent controls let you dial down the modulation too, if you want that widening without so much chorus on top. It’s a nice addition to the standard DC-2 presets. Plus, it’s got plenty of headroom. Great for synths. Love that pedal.

It’s a similar effect to what the Deco does in its chorus range, just the Deco does it in more up front, less affected way. I like them both for the task, but the Deco just sort of gets you there in a direct, no fuss way, which is nice. Plus, if you run it in it’s wide stereo mode, you’re just there. For a real-time, push-a-button now you’re double tracking FX, it’s great.

I’ve been so enamored with turning knobs and just listening to the Prophet 5 so far, that I haven’t even thought to record the damn thing yet, haha. Gotta try legit hard-pan double tracking it though. The idea of adjusting the vintage knob slightly between tracks sounds like it would yield some great results.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »
I’ve only had mine less than a week so still experimenting and honestly just marveling at the sound it can produce dry with zero FX.

I’ll admit I was nervous at first of having a mono out on a poly but the synth sounds so huge with movement that it’s a non issue to me.

I have put mine through a jazz chorus amp for true stereo chorus and although it sounds great, I still find it sounds even better without... unlike the Juno 106 where the chorus makes the sound lol.

P5R4 + RE201 is a different story though and sounds absolutely massive!!

Can’t wait to try some ping-pong delays next, that should be nice for some stereo vibes.

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 04:29:20 AM »
I'm only getting started with my P10, so I've mostly been marveling at the raw tone like others have mentioned, so what I'm doing today will be different than what I'm doing 5 days from now, no doubt.... but still..

..currently mono out from P10 is running into a Strymon Mobius which I have set to a subtle chorus setting that mostly just widens the sound.  The BigSky and the Timeline are on the same output chain and I'm mostly leaving them off, toggling them briefly on very subtle settings, but experimenting with some tape delay and touch of reverb.  That's before the signal hits the audio interface.

Inside the DAW I put Arturia Jun-6 Chorus (free Juno Chorus plugin) and Eventide SP2016 (one of my favorite of the more transparent, retro reverbs) and have also been experimenting with those on and off.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
I know this might sound like heresy, but I use an iPad.  There are a whole world of unique and amazing effects, including some big players, for dirt cheap....you can literally get 15 of the H9 Eventide effects for the price of 1 of the small size Strymon pedals (which are of course, great too...love my El Capistan). 

It's not just about cheap apps though, its that its so flexible and really a different way to work.  You can mix and match effects in seconds, try things out in side channels, route things in interesting ways, record and sample the P10 on a whim, and all from just a screen without the huge mess.

If you're not into the audio processing idea, an iPad is also an amazing and flexible midi device via the P10 usb port.  There are midi arpeggiators and sequencers and interesting processors.  Again, for pennies.

I've been having a great time with this beautiful new synth, and the iPad for me has been a nice and compact one-stop-shop to add all of the features I miss from my P6 and more  ;) If anyone wants any tips on apps or setup integration, feel free to ask!

My essential iPadOS apps:
-AUM or Audiobus 3 (pretty much mandatory for setup)
-*FAC Chorus* (and Phazer)
-Nembrini Delay 3000
-Eventide Blackhole
-Rozeta Suite
-Atom or LK

8)

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »
I'm developing an expansion board specifically designed for the Rev4 Prophets with 10 panpots on it, which is in the final stage of production. It duplicates the existing mixer and output circuitry (same chips) and produces L and R stereo line output and a stereo headphone output. The existing 1/4" stereo headphone jack on the back of the synth is repurposed to be the stereo line-level output. (Again, there is a new stereo headphone output on a 3.5mm jack to replace it.) The existing mono line-level output is unchanged and can be used in conjunction with the stereo output if desired. No traces are cut and no components are removed on any of the existing circuit boards, so the modification is completely reversible if desired. (The existing stereo headphone jack is rotated 180 degrees, but remains attached to the main board.) Photos of my Rev4 and details to come.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
awesome technoroom!  can't wait to hear more.  very interested!