What (if anything) are you using to stereo-ize yer Prophets?

Re: What (if anything) are you using to stereo-ize yer Prophets?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2023, 11:44:27 AM »
I spent the first few weeks with my Prophet 5 running it through nothing at all, and being perfectly satisfied. Its sound really needs nothing. But I've read these replies with interest.

I currently do not own a dedicated effects unit, so I started running my Prophet 5 through my Pro 3's effects, and that's a lot of fun. If you try this, make sure to set the input level down to about 30%, to avoid clipping with five notes. You may need to go lower if you have a Prophet 10, but I wouldn't know.

It was enough to get me thinking about getting a good external processor.

Aside from that, I have recorded a pad part with two passes, each one panned to one side. Both passes used the same Prophet 5 sound, but I switched from the Curtis filter to the Rossum filter on the second pass.

In a fit of "keeping it real," I've been looking at old Effectron delays. Had one in my teenage days and loved it. Might be a nice unit to keep the P5 plugged into, in all mono glory! I've mostly stopped thinking about stereo options for the P5, other than via software. The 5 has such heft to its sound and in mono, it fills plenty of space...

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2023, 08:37:23 AM »
I am using Eventide H9 "Carnegie Hall" program mostly with factory preset 213 with slightly extended release tail.  It sounds SO GOOD.  I play Bach WTC whole book in one sitting hours and hours just to enjoy the beauty of it.  The sound is stereo-ish, or perhaps stereo.

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2023, 07:09:03 PM »
I guess I wasn't kidding - I went ahead and grabbed an Effectron in great shape. The Prophet sounds perfect through it. And so very mono!

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2023, 01:44:17 AM »
2 outputs from 1 preamp into 2 interfaces, panning the main interface in left, and the 2nd middle right.  It's always got a moderate amount of chorus because the 2 interfaces into the DAW, one is carried via ADAT to the other.  So yeah even with no fx at all.  Very cool chorus almost exact sounds, with a minute difference in timing and panning.
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2023, 08:44:04 PM »
P5 mono > UAFX Astra stereo > UAFX Starlight stereo > UAFX Golden stereo > mixer
All pedals in true bypass-mode so that the signal remains untouched if I chose to not engage the effects

In the studio I go directly into a mono-strip and double-track if I want stereo

I use this same trifecta of UAFX pedals with my Prophet 10 and it’s glorious!

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2023, 07:49:54 PM »
I'm developing an expansion board specifically designed for the Rev4 Prophets with 10 panpots on it, which is in the final stage of production. It duplicates the existing mixer and output circuitry (same chips) and produces L and R stereo line output and a stereo headphone output. The existing 1/4" stereo headphone jack on the back of the synth is repurposed to be the stereo line-level output. (Again, there is a new stereo headphone output on a 3.5mm jack to replace it.) The existing mono line-level output is unchanged and can be used in conjunction with the stereo output if desired. No traces are cut and no components are removed on any of the existing circuit boards, so the modification is completely reversible if desired. (The existing stereo headphone jack is rotated 180 degrees, but remains attached to the main board.) Photos of my Rev4 and details to come.
That sounds fantastic of a design. Seems to give a person many options for the Rev 4

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2023, 07:54:19 PM »
Do you have any idea yet to what your price might be?

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »
Made a short video how I get the Prophet 5 to stereo spread the voices:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:21:09 PM by Analog Prophet »

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:18 AM »
This is another way to go, with hardware mod:

https://www.musikding.de/Polysix-Prophet-5-Pan-Mod_1

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2023, 09:08:12 AM »
Made a short video how I get the Prophet 5 to stereo spread the voices:

This was really lovely. I can't see myself ever making the effort - I'm happy to have my P5 singing in glorious mono most of the time - but I really enjoyed watching the video!

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2023, 01:10:52 PM »
I took a tip from the Japanese Synth Guru: Katsunori Ujiie on the MusicTrackJP Channel on Youtube and got a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus. It's an analog pedal for electric guitars but they are absolutely glorious with the P5/10.

Did you get one of the TC Electronics SCF re-issues? and if so, don't you have clipping/headroom issues with it?
I am very interested in the TC Stereo Chorus (the only thing I would buy from the ImBehrium)

g3o2

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2023, 03:39:56 PM »
Clipping issues stem from line level vs instrument level. A quick fix to this is to reduce the volume on your Prophet. If this quick fix leads to a weak signal or too much noise, get yourself a Radial Engineering StageBug 6. It has a -15db pad (so you can increase the volume on your Prophet) and it will adjust automatically for impedance.