Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?

Re: Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 12:52:18 AM »
I have both P10 and OB6, and its tough and really comes down to personal taste.
Main Differences that people dont talk about enough:
  • The Filters are very different, and you have the possibility to try two different filter topologies with the Prophet. The OB6 (based on a SEM) doesnt cut the bass as you add resonance
  • The OB6 has a sub oscillator, which I use on almost every patch I make for a deeper sound
  • The P5/P10 is larger and has 5 octaves, and is heavier. The knobs are also twice as large
  • The OB6 has effects, a sequencer/arpeggiator
  • The OB6 has a slightly dirtier sound (and hidden analog distortion) but is also brassy
  • Polymod section of the P5/10 seems deeper and ever so slightly more capable

They are both (all?) great synths and have their space in any mix. Its up to you to find which you prefer.
Watch all the YouTube demos you can (including mine, here) and hear for yourself which one has the tone you prefer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at5_eEC3OY

How is the polymod deeper on p5/p10 than on the ob-6? More destinations on ob-6.

Re: Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 01:59:25 AM »
interesting. thanks! if you ever have time i’d love to hear a demo of sounds of the p10 in p5/pu mode with just two notes (4 voices) played. ex: single bass notes and single lead notes. in other words p5 poly unison with no voice stealing. thanks!

I don’t think 4 voice unison poly playing is possible. Only 2 voices 5 notes, not 4 voices 2 notes. Would love to be mistaken - how should it be set up then?