Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?

snm10

Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Hey folks
I am thinking of buying the new Prophet 5 or the OB-6. Actually, I like both the sequential and the oberheim sound, so it's hard for me to decide. I do not know if anyone will have both who can give me their opinions, I mean beyond the technical specifications. I think perhaps about the connection with the instrument according to the type of music or sound that one seeks to achieve. I would appreciate it very much.

Re: Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
Hey folks
I am thinking of buying the new Prophet 5 or the OB-6. Actually, I like both the sequential and the oberheim sound, so it's hard for me to decide. I do not know if anyone will have both who can give me their opinions, I mean beyond the technical specifications. I think perhaps about the connection with the instrument according to the type of music or sound that one seeks to achieve. I would appreciate it very much.

You can make music with both. Which one speaks to you most? If neither, then maybe keep looking at others. 
I got chills using the OB-6 for the first time. That didn't happen with the P6, though I quite enjoyed it. I bought an OB-6.

Since going into a store may not be possible these days, or safe, I recommend the YT videos by Automatic Gainsay on both instruments. Watch every episode of both. It might help.

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
If you crave the superb SEM Oberheim filter sounds, then the OB6 would be a no brainer.
Most other products from Sequential feature Curtis type filters.
I own an OB6 and Prophet REV2 and they are miles apart. Like djs123 said, the OB6 gives me goose bumps sometimes, whereas the REV2 never did. Maybe I'm an Oberheim kinda guy too?

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
If you crave the superb SEM Oberheim filter sounds, then the OB6 would be a no brainer.
Most other products from Sequential feature Curtis type filters.
I own an OB6 and Prophet REV2 and they are miles apart. Like djs123 said, the OB6 gives me goose bumps sometimes, whereas the REV2 never did. Maybe I'm an Oberheim kinda guy too?

There's a mountain of difference between the filters in a Rev2 and a P6 though, and he's asking about the P5, which I don't have but it complicates the question a bit because the OB-6 has modern features like FX and an additional voice over the P5, where the P6 is a more fair comparison.

It doesn't answer the OP's question directly (P5 vs OB6), but if I could only have one I would take my P6 over the OB6, because the versatility is greater and most of the things the OB6 does, the P6 does a little better.  That said the OB6 has that Oberheim fizz to it and the SEM does have a unique sound, so I'm glad to have both.

With a P5 you get two filter choices, the vintage knob, one less voice, but 61 keys, etc.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
I have both P10 and OB6, and its tough and really comes down to personal taste.
Main Differences that people dont talk about enough:
  • The Filters are very different, and you have the possibility to try two different filter topologies with the Prophet. The OB6 (based on a SEM) doesnt cut the bass as you add resonance
  • The OB6 has a sub oscillator, which I use on almost every patch I make for a deeper sound
  • The P5/P10 is larger and has 5 octaves, and is heavier. The knobs are also twice as large
  • The OB6 has effects, a sequencer/arpeggiator
  • The OB6 has a slightly dirtier sound (and hidden analog distortion) but is also brassy
  • Polymod section of the P5/10 seems deeper and ever so slightly more capable

They are both (all?) great synths and have their space in any mix. Its up to you to find which you prefer.
Watch all the YouTube demos you can (including mine, here) and hear for yourself which one has the tone you prefer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at5_eEC3OY
--shane

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »
Hey folks

I have a Prophet-6 and an OB-6.  I can never make up my mind which I prefer but check out this dude who made this fun track with his OB-6  about 2 or 3 days after buying it. Such a tasty sound. I mean, I love my OB6, had mine for 16 months. Sometimes I prefer the Prophet, sometimes the Obie. Some of the demo videos of synths to be honest can be a bit boring. It's when someone a tually uses the thing to make some music, you can hear what it can do, what it really feels and tastes like, IMHO.
https://youtu.be/5UHUA8SxWXA
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 04:27:49 AM »
Hi!

I hope my experience might help with your decision.

I just took delivery of a OB-6 keyboard. It literally just arrived at my door step yesterday. I have wanted a Prophet 6 for the longest time. Owned the REV 2-16 voice for a while but did not really worked for me. Then when I was ready to pull the trigger on a P6, the P5 Rev 4 was announced. It took me a while to rethink about my synth-buying plan and finally I decided that I'll go for the OB-6 now. And once the initial excitement about the P5/10 release has settled, I will re-evaluate and do more research before taking the plunge.

And after trying out the OB-6 for the last 24 hours, I think it is really a great synth. The REV-2 is very nice but it does not give me the same enjoyment like the OB-6. Even my kid (who is the real pianist at home) remarked that the buttons on the OB-6 are just fun and feels good to the touch. And I believe the OB-6 is sufficiently different from the Prophet architecture that it will justify my purchase of a P5/10 or even a P6 later.
OB6 and P5 Rev 4

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 01:33:07 AM »
Prophet 5 is very tempting for sure.
But OB-6 is still a very fantastic instrument.
I did a short video yesterday to demonstrate OB-6 filter. Hope it will help you with your decision.

Still hoping for vintage knob :-)

https://youtu.be/3dySS0x7h4o

snm10

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 06:56:51 AM »
Thanks for all your advice and recommendations, you are the best!

Best

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
I have an OB-6 with keyboard...I wish it was 61-keys

If I were in your situation, I would ponder the value of 61-keys and something that is the ultimate Prophet synth, vs. something like the OB-6 that is completely unique among modern subtractive synths with the SEM filter
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 02:24:11 AM »
From Sequential I've owned: Rev 2, Prophet 6, OB-6 and currently Prophet 10 Rev 4.

I want to make something clear, everyone here comparing the OB-6 to THEIR (non rev 4 non Prophet 5/10) Prophet is absolutely missing the point. It's really annoying actually that people are assuming something as weak sounding as the Rev 2 is 'comparable' to the mighty Prophet 5/10 rev 4 and are therefore in possession of anything like a valid opinion. Horseshit. Sorry.

Same goes for Prophet 6 owners who THINK it sounds anything like a Prophet rev 4 (it doesn't). From a GS thread:

"i had to do a double take when i saw your thread title, but only because i was planning on making a similar one. i'm not in the same situation insofar as i've never had the good fortune of owning a p5, but have wondered about this comparison more than once. i owned a p6 for a few months and downright hated it. "it's not the gear, it's user error" blah blah, whatever, i spent months dialling it in, it just didn't work for me... can't we just accept not every piece, no matter how universally adored, might not work for every single player? anyways, coming from the OB-8 i found the p6 downright anemic sounding and missed the organic, lush and gritty nature of the obie. i've played several p5's at friends studios and always loved that sound, as does everyone else and their granny, and definitely heard no similarity whatsoever in the p6. i'd pretty much written off dsi (having owned a few and never vibing with that sound), but the OB-6 is the one i'm willing to give one more shot as several folks whose ears/opinion i trust speak nicely about it when comparing to choice vintage synths. will be curious to see what others chime in with."

Which I agree with 100%. People HAVE to start accepting that the Prophet 6 is NOT comparable to Prophet 5 (old or new) in tone and feel. It's like a weak facsimile and sounds completely different in general use (and btw save me the comparison vids where two sounds are made to sound the same... I can pretty much get any decent analog poly to sound like any other if you're trying hard enough but the nuances of actual tone/response and 'sound quality' do NOT come through in stupid A/B videos... only time in your studio/in your music tells the story). And btw the Korg Prologue 16, at least in the VCOs (which also happen to be discreet but in this case GOOD discreet) sound far more 'VCO like' than the Prophet 6 and.. even the Ob-6. The Prologue has swimmy VCOs with texture, just like the Rev 4 Prophets (in fact I'm cloning sounds from both for back up and can get kinda close at times with both even if they are wildly different in filter type 12db vs 24 and overall operation... basically my point there is the 16 voice!!! VCO Prologue already sounds way more charming and vibrant than the Prophet 6 so I'd never buy a P6 over a Prologue! OB-6? Yeah.. different, both have their place but part of why I sold my OB-6 was cos the Prologue could copy a LOT of the 12db lowpass sounds anyway... better VCOs, filter not quite as obie as the OB-6, but actually more flexible through it's range (more prophet like).

With that out of the way, the OP was asking new rev 4s vs OB-6... well those 2 synths happen to be the best sounding analogs sequential made, by far. The OB-6 is MUCH nicer than the Prophet 6, BUT it is NOT  as rich/full/deep/vintage sound as the new Rev 4s. They both steer towards different sounds, but can cross over in some areas. Usually Rev 4 or old P5's have a more raw, authentically analog tone that works great as a base materal to be further process with FX etc in your DAW. OB-6 is more 'oven ready' with built in fx, but IF you bypass said fx the raw tone isn't THAT impressive in many areas (only in a few which is why I sold mine).

What OB-6 does have going for it is a beautiful filter, generally good tone and it sounds present... as analog synths should (and as Prophet 6 never did and never could!). I sold Prophet 6 after fighting with it sound how a prophet should sound. I never missed it. So many people are deluded thinking just cos it looks like a mini P5 that it actually sounds/reacts like one. Even the polymod is off on the P6 vs the 'real' sound of Polymod on the rev 4s. Also this 'discreet' vs 'chip' BS has to end, it makes NO difference, inherently, to a synth's sound quality if something is discreet only if it's GREAT discreet (for ex my old Polysix had discreet VCOs but they sounded cheap... ) great discreet VCOs sound great, but P6.. even OB-6 doesn't have 'great' sounding VCOs.. just kinda vanilla. THe CEM (not to be confused with the weak DCOS and Weak filters in the 08/rev 2) VCOs on the rev 4's is the same legendary chip used in... Memorymoog, Obies, Jupiter 6(I think), SH-101(poss)... Futher, the filters in rev 4 (SSM and CEM basically) are spot on, both are raw yet refined, alive yet smooth, characterful yet pliable....

Prophet 6's filter is dull, just reallly dulll.... open up and it sounds cold and harsh, cut it back and it sounds lost and small. OB-6 was a much better sounding synth than Prophet 6 BUT it couldn't do as many different types of sounds (other than varities of overtly synth sounds with its bandpass filter), so neither was ideal but at least Ob-6 bought you some great tone and often beautiful sounds.

Now I have many recordings of these synths, I went back and replaced most of my Rev 2 sounds (cos they were horrible harsh and weak with hindsight) first with Prophet 6, then again with Prophet 10 where I could - the songs sound much better now. OB-6 sounds mostly can't be replaced as it's too different in my uses but you can substitue rev 4 sounds in some cases.

What is also important to realise is ONLY the new rev 4s nail the tone of a VCO analog synth, not even Ob-6 did quite (more like a really cool DCO sounding thing). So the new Rev 4s have the same vibe in the filter as the OB-6 (but different character) but MUCH BETTER VCOS (and more granular/usable polymod). SO if you imagine the range of a P6 with the mojo of an OB-6... and then DOUBLE IT - there's the Rev 4s! And the Prophet 10 in particular is awesome cos of Poly unison mode that still gives you a 5 voice stacked 4 VCO super prophet! IMO in that mode it's the best sounding prophet/synth that Dave has EVER made.. inc original rev 2s which just can't compete next to a Prophet 10 rev 4 in unison (ok maybe the original old P10 with stacked voices could compete BUT they miss out on aftertouch, filter velocity etc).

As for feel of the instruments, different leages entirely. The P6 and OB-6 always felt a bit stupid, toy like, cos of 4 octaves and I hated being cramped by the keybed (as a decent player who uses both hands and 4+ voice chords), also 6 voices was bare minimum for me but would still sometimes annoy me. For the price they felt a bit under cooked, and should def have been 5 octaves. The Rev 4s... wow.. it's worth every extra penny over the p6/ob-6 JUST for the looks/build/feel/size alone... 5 octaves, glorious keybed, beautiful BOLTED ON pot knobs, tons of space for fingers... gorgeous wood, classic stunning looks that never age and it looks every bit as good as it sounds - and it 'looks' worth the money.

Factor all of that in and I hands down recommend the Prophet 10 rev 4 over everything... I may not be so keen on the P5 cos 6 voices minimum for me, but tone and looks wise it's the same great synth so if you're ok with 5 voices... go for it!

OB-6 is still a sweet synth, with pockets of beauty, but if you're only gonna grab one synth it may not be that great as a workhorse, while the P10/5 can be (and old P5's have often been the only synth in many famous guy's studios cos they are super flexible for a proper 'vintage' VCO synth.... all those FX, stereo outs, arps, seqs etc are really stupid to put above great tone and feel... they are ok as additions but never put features over sound on ANALOG synths).

OB-6 and Rev 4 Prophets are the only synths I rate from sequential and you'd prob be happy with either, though the P10/5 would last you years and go further ultimately, the OB-6 gets a bit samey and even though it can do more than you think, it's always flavours of the same OB-6 tone, fizzy and sometimes a touch flat... but still better than the P6 which sounds lost, distant and more like a decent VA.

If you really want analog in the best meaning of the word, get the Prophet 10/5 rev 4... nothing else on the market even compares (not even moog one) let alone the weak rev 2 or the dull Prophet 6.

Ranking:

1. Prophet 10 Rev 4 (or 5 if you can hack the low poly)
2. Korg Prologue 16 (for many things) / OB-6 (for its subset it does really well/beautifully)
5. Prophet 6 (nah.... just nothing special - a perfunctory unit that does what a synth does... nothing special)
7. Prophet 08/Rev 2 (not only weak and uninspiring but actively works against you in harsh/brittle tone - you'll waste hours of your life trying to dress it up with LFOs and mod slots to breathe life in it but still realise the tone is off and useless for most 'analog' duties and only good for cold sci fi sequences - certainly next to any other decent analog you have that will REALLY highlight how bad the REV 2 sounds as an 'analog' (hint my JX-3P destroyed it when I had one)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 02:39:25 AM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
I didn't have the P10 yet when I wrote my first response in this thread, so I thought I would post an update.  In my setup, it the Rev4 is my new favorite, but I want to make clear I'm not selling my P6, OB6, Rev2 or any other gear because its a different synth that fulfills a different need.  The excellent feeling keybed w/61 keys, the knobs, the beautiful tone of it, the diversity of sound that can emerge from relatively few controls, and what it does for the overall experience of making music is what makes it stand out.

But, it doesn't sound like my other synths and thus cannot replace them.  I agree with others that say the filter of the Rev2 isn't its strongest suit but I still find it does certain sounds better than the rest -- consistently sitting in the mix is an important criteria for some of us, and the Rev2 is one of the best products in the Sequential lineup for this, even if the filter doesn't have as much wow factor during the sound design process.  But remember, "better" is subjective and depends completely on what kind of music you make and how you like to make it.  I think this is the key point that gets lost in a lot of "which should I get" discussions, and thus makes a lot of them futile.

I will say that I have yet to see someone that purchased a Rev4 say they were disappointed and would return it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
From Sequential I've owned: Rev 2, Prophet 6, OB-6 and currently Prophet 10 Rev 4.

I want to make something clear, everyone here comparing the OB-6 to THEIR (non rev 4 non Prophet 5/10) Prophet is absolutely missing the point. It's really annoying actually that people are assuming something as weak sounding as the Rev 2 is 'comparable' to the mighty Prophet 5/10 rev 4 and are therefore in possession of anything like a valid opinion. Horseshit. Sorry.

Same goes for Prophet 6 owners who THINK it sounds anything like a Prophet rev 4 (it doesn't). From a GS thread:

"i had to do a double take when i saw your thread title, but only because i was planning on making a similar one. i'm not in the same situation insofar as i've never had the good fortune of owning a p5, but have wondered about this comparison more than once. i owned a p6 for a few months and downright hated it. "it's not the gear, it's user error" blah blah, whatever, i spent months dialling it in, it just didn't work for me... can't we just accept not every piece, no matter how universally adored, might not work for every single player? anyways, coming from the OB-8 i found the p6 downright anemic sounding and missed the organic, lush and gritty nature of the obie. i've played several p5's at friends studios and always loved that sound, as does everyone else and their granny, and definitely heard no similarity whatsoever in the p6. i'd pretty much written off dsi (having owned a few and never vibing with that sound), but the OB-6 is the one i'm willing to give one more shot as several folks whose ears/opinion i trust speak nicely about it when comparing to choice vintage synths. will be curious to see what others chime in with."

Which I agree with 100%. People HAVE to start accepting that the Prophet 6 is NOT comparable to Prophet 5 (old or new) in tone and feel. It's like a weak facsimile and sounds completely different in general use (and btw save me the comparison vids where two sounds are made to sound the same... I can pretty much get any decent analog poly to sound like any other if you're trying hard enough but the nuances of actual tone/response and 'sound quality' do NOT come through in stupid A/B videos... only time in your studio/in your music tells the story). And btw the Korg Prologue 16, at least in the VCOs (which also happen to be discreet but in this case GOOD discreet) sound far more 'VCO like' than the Prophet 6 and.. even the Ob-6. The Prologue has swimmy VCOs with texture, just like the Rev 4 Prophets (in fact I'm cloning sounds from both for back up and can get kinda close at times with both even if they are wildly different in filter type 12db vs 24 and overall operation... basically my point there is the 16 voice!!! VCO Prologue already sounds way more charming and vibrant than the Prophet 6 so I'd never buy a P6 over a Prologue! OB-6? Yeah.. different, both have their place but part of why I sold my OB-6 was cos the Prologue could copy a LOT of the 12db lowpass sounds anyway... better VCOs, filter not quite as obie as the OB-6, but actually more flexible through it's range (more prophet like).

With that out of the way, the OP was asking new rev 4s vs OB-6... well those 2 synths happen to be the best sounding analogs sequential made, by far. The OB-6 is MUCH nicer than the Prophet 6, BUT it is NOT  as rich/full/deep/vintage sound as the new Rev 4s. They both steer towards different sounds, but can cross over in some areas. Usually Rev 4 or old P5's have a more raw, authentically analog tone that works great as a base materal to be further process with FX etc in your DAW. OB-6 is more 'oven ready' with built in fx, but IF you bypass said fx the raw tone isn't THAT impressive in many areas (only in a few which is why I sold mine).

What OB-6 does have going for it is a beautiful filter, generally good tone and it sounds present... as analog synths should (and as Prophet 6 never did and never could!). I sold Prophet 6 after fighting with it sound how a prophet should sound. I never missed it. So many people are deluded thinking just cos it looks like a mini P5 that it actually sounds/reacts like one. Even the polymod is off on the P6 vs the 'real' sound of Polymod on the rev 4s. Also this 'discreet' vs 'chip' BS has to end, it makes NO difference, inherently, to a synth's sound quality if something is discreet only if it's GREAT discreet (for ex my old Polysix had discreet VCOs but they sounded cheap... ) great discreet VCOs sound great, but P6.. even OB-6 doesn't have 'great' sounding VCOs.. just kinda vanilla. THe CEM (not to be confused with the weak DCOS and Weak filters in the 08/rev 2) VCOs on the rev 4's is the same legendary chip used in... Memorymoog, Obies, Jupiter 6(I think), SH-101(poss)... Futher, the filters in rev 4 (SSM and CEM basically) are spot on, both are raw yet refined, alive yet smooth, characterful yet pliable....

Prophet 6's filter is dull, just reallly dulll.... open up and it sounds cold and harsh, cut it back and it sounds lost and small. OB-6 was a much better sounding synth than Prophet 6 BUT it couldn't do as many different types of sounds (other than varities of overtly synth sounds with its bandpass filter), so neither was ideal but at least Ob-6 bought you some great tone and often beautiful sounds.

Now I have many recordings of these synths, I went back and replaced most of my Rev 2 sounds (cos they were horrible harsh and weak with hindsight) first with Prophet 6, then again with Prophet 10 where I could - the songs sound much better now. OB-6 sounds mostly can't be replaced as it's too different in my uses but you can substitue rev 4 sounds in some cases.

What is also important to realise is ONLY the new rev 4s nail the tone of a VCO analog synth, not even Ob-6 did quite (more like a really cool DCO sounding thing). So the new Rev 4s have the same vibe in the filter as the OB-6 (but different character) but MUCH BETTER VCOS (and more granular/usable polymod). SO if you imagine the range of a P6 with the mojo of an OB-6... and then DOUBLE IT - there's the Rev 4s! And the Prophet 10 in particular is awesome cos of Poly unison mode that still gives you a 5 voice stacked 4 VCO super prophet! IMO in that mode it's the best sounding prophet/synth that Dave has EVER made.. inc original rev 2s which just can't compete next to a Prophet 10 rev 4 in unison (ok maybe the original old P10 with stacked voices could compete BUT they miss out on aftertouch, filter velocity etc).

As for feel of the instruments, different leages entirely. The P6 and OB-6 always felt a bit stupid, toy like, cos of 4 octaves and I hated being cramped by the keybed (as a decent player who uses both hands and 4+ voice chords), also 6 voices was bare minimum for me but would still sometimes annoy me. For the price they felt a bit under cooked, and should def have been 5 octaves. The Rev 4s... wow.. it's worth every extra penny over the p6/ob-6 JUST for the looks/build/feel/size alone... 5 octaves, glorious keybed, beautiful BOLTED ON pot knobs, tons of space for fingers... gorgeous wood, classic stunning looks that never age and it looks every bit as good as it sounds - and it 'looks' worth the money.

Factor all of that in and I hands down recommend the Prophet 10 rev 4 over everything... I may not be so keen on the P5 cos 6 voices minimum for me, but tone and looks wise it's the same great synth so if you're ok with 5 voices... go for it!

OB-6 is still a sweet synth, with pockets of beauty, but if you're only gonna grab one synth it may not be that great as a workhorse, while the P10/5 can be (and old P5's have often been the only synth in many famous guy's studios cos they are super flexible for a proper 'vintage' VCO synth.... all those FX, stereo outs, arps, seqs etc are really stupid to put above great tone and feel... they are ok as additions but never put features over sound on ANALOG synths).

OB-6 and Rev 4 Prophets are the only synths I rate from sequential and you'd prob be happy with either, though the P10/5 would last you years and go further ultimately, the OB-6 gets a bit samey and even though it can do more than you think, it's always flavours of the same OB-6 tone, fizzy and sometimes a touch flat... but still better than the P6 which sounds lost, distant and more like a decent VA.

If you really want analog in the best meaning of the word, get the Prophet 10/5 rev 4... nothing else on the market even compares (not even moog one) let alone the weak rev 2 or the dull Prophet 6.

Ranking:

1. Prophet 10 Rev 4 (or 5 if you can hack the low poly)
2. Korg Prologue 16 (for many things) / OB-6 (for its subset it does really well/beautifully)
5. Prophet 6 (nah.... just nothing special - a perfunctory unit that does what a synth does... nothing special)
7. Prophet 08/Rev 2 (not only weak and uninspiring but actively works against you in harsh/brittle tone - you'll waste hours of your life trying to dress it up with LFOs and mod slots to breathe life in it but still realise the tone is off and useless for most 'analog' duties and only good for cold sci fi sequences - certainly next to any other decent analog you have that will REALLY highlight how bad the REV 2 sounds as an 'analog' (hint my JX-3P destroyed it when I had one)

this was very helpful as i am in the same position as the OP

p6 never sounded right to me. i listened to all the demos for a year and finally realized none sounded like “from an album”. the ob6 was better.  some sounds did sound like they could be from an album (if you get my meaning)

then the p5/10. boom. there it is. real proper tone. its tone sounds like professional recorded music.

your argument for the 5/10 over the ob6 makes good sense.

then the question is 5 or 10? there’s a 5 around the corner from me, or a 10 a bit further. money no object.

i never play huge chords. 2+3 notes at most. but the poly unison is intriguing. but would multi tracking a 5 replicate/negate that feature? i mean p5 is the legendary synth on all the albums right? polyphony wasnt an issue for them.

then there’s the rumors of a sequential obx. a p5+ob6!? wow. but i don’t know if i can wait. even though it might be the perfect synth. real proper tone.only oberhiem. wow.

still. any reason i’d get a 5 and wish i’d gotten a 10?

thanks

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:51:21 PM by andrewtoronto »

Micky

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 12:06:53 AM »
I have both P10 and OB6, and its tough and really comes down to personal taste.
Main Differences that people dont talk about enough:
  • The Filters are very different, and you have the possibility to try two different filter topologies with the Prophet. The OB6 (based on a SEM) doesnt cut the bass as you add resonance
  • The OB6 has a sub oscillator, which I use on almost every patch I make for a deeper sound
  • The P5/P10 is larger and has 5 octaves, and is heavier. The knobs are also twice as large
  • The OB6 has effects, a sequencer/arpeggiator
  • The OB6 has a slightly dirtier sound (and hidden analog distortion) but is also brassy
  • Polymod section of the P5/10 seems deeper and ever so slightly more capable

They are both (all?) great synths and have their space in any mix. Its up to you to find which you prefer.
Watch all the YouTube demos you can (including mine, here) and hear for yourself which one has the tone you prefer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at5_eEC3OY

Based to your oppinion to the polymod-section i feel the opposite !
Because of the "transpose-trick" you can get more slower, keybased different modulations on the OB6.
But sure, all personal taste...

LPF83

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 04:51:04 AM »

p6 never sounded right to me. i listened to all the demos for a year and finally realized none sounded like “from an album”. the ob6 was better.  some sounds did sound like they could be from an album (if you get my meaning)

then the p5/10. boom. there it is. real proper tone. its tone sounds like professional recorded music.

then the question is 5 or 10? there’s a 5 around the corner from me, or a 10 a bit further. money no object.

i never play huge chords. 2+3 notes at most. but the poly unison is intriguing. but would multi tracking a 5 replicate/negate that feature? i mean p5 is the legendary synth on all the albums right? polyphony wasnt an issue for them.

then there’s the rumors of a sequential obx. a p5+ob6!? wow. but i don’t know if i can wait. even though it might be the perfect synth. real proper tone.only oberhiem. wow.

General wisdom says that you can multi-track 5 voices to get *mostly* similar results to PU2 (2 voice poly unison mode)... however, and this is particularly true with the summing of synth tones, there are real benefits to having this option coming straight out of the synth.  The first that comes to mind is that a certain amount of natural harmonic distortion is present when this comes out of the signal path of the synth, and the sound will differ slightly when the output of the synth is digitally multi tracked (and no doubt magnetic tape tracking would produce yet another sound altogether).  Think of the difference you hear when putting various effects in different positions along the signal path - sometimes subtle, sometimes pronounced.  Not saying one is better than the other, but the point is that it's much easier to tweak what that final output is and achieve a certain musical goal while playing rather than later editing in the DAW (at least for me it is), so I prefer to hear the final result in real-time.

Without a doubt the original P5 was multi-tracked quite a bit in back in the day, but in many cases it might have been to achieve an extra octave or add an inversion rather than stack the same notes (at least that's probably how I would use it if voice-limited).

One of the reasons the Jupiter-8 was considered such a monster is because it could do poly unison (granted its implemented slightly differently than the P5/10).  Alex Ball recently did a video illustrating how surprisingly similar the raw tones of the P10 are to the JP-8 (poly unison wasn't compared), so one way of looking at it is that the extra cost of a P10 helps get some JP-8-like sounds out of it.

All of that said, the Rev4 is fat sounding enough even without PU2, and PU2 is not what I consider an essential feature, its something most will use occasionally.

If money was an obstacle, I would say one should weigh the considerations around PU2 and decide if this feature, and the extra 5 voices of polyphony are worth the extra cost to them, but since you said money was no obstacle I would recommend going for the P10, since you can always limit the P10 to 5-voice standard mode and reproduce P5 note stealing, but you can't play 5 voice PU on the P5.

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 06:22:09 AM »

General wisdom says that you can multi-track 5 voices to get *mostly* similar results to PU2 (2 voice poly unison mode)... however, and this is particularly true with the summing of synth tones, there are real benefits to having this option coming straight out of the synth.  The first that comes to mind is that a certain amount of natural harmonic distortion is present when this comes out of the signal path of the synth, and the sound will differ slightly when the output of the synth is digitally multi tracked (and no doubt magnetic tape tracking would produce yet another sound altogether).  Think of the difference you hear when putting various effects in different positions along the signal path - sometimes subtle, sometimes pronounced.  Not saying one is better than the other, but the point is that it's much easier to tweak what that final output is and achieve a certain musical goal while playing rather than later editing in the DAW (at least for me it is), so I prefer to hear the final result in real-time.

Without a doubt the original P5 was multi-tracked quite a bit in back in the day, but in many cases it might have been to achieve an extra octave or add an inversion rather than stack the same notes (at least that's probably how I would use it if voice-limited).

One of the reasons the Jupiter-8 was considered such a monster is because it could do poly unison (granted its implemented slightly differently than the P5/10).  Alex Ball recently did a video illustrating how surprisingly similar the raw tones of the P10 are to the JP-8 (poly unison wasn't compared), so one way of looking at it is that the extra cost of a P10 helps get some JP-8-like sounds out of it.

All of that said, the Rev4 is fat sounding enough even without PU2, and PU2 is not what I consider an essential feature, its something most will use occasionally.

If money was an obstacle, I would say one should weigh the considerations around PU2 and decide if this feature, and the extra 5 voices of polyphony are worth the extra cost to them, but since you said money was no obstacle I would recommend going for the P10, since you can always limit the P10 to 5-voice standard mode and reproduce P5 note stealing, but you can't play 5 voice PU on the P5.

thanks!

so i guess the p5 will do PU but with only 2 notes? (the third being a single voice?) and the p10 will do all 5 notes?

are there any sound examples of the PU feature out there? i haven’t really heard it. i’d like to hear how it actually sounds. esp the different between the 5 & 10

btw this is mainly for pads/strings etc. i have a pretty decent sized modular rig for monosynth etc. just can’t play chords.

thanks for your info.

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »

thanks!

so i guess the p5 will do PU but with only 2 notes? (the third being a single voice?) and the p10 will do all 5 notes?

are there any sound examples of the PU feature out there? i haven’t really heard it. i’d like to hear how it actually sounds. esp the different between the 5 & 10

btw this is mainly for pads/strings etc. i have a pretty decent sized modular rig for monosynth etc. just can’t play chords.

thanks for your info.

Yes, PU2 mode on the Rev4 is 2-voice unison so if all voices are enabled on the P10 you get 5 notes of polyphony, and 2 notes if already limited it to five voice mode.  Even 2 notes of PU2 can be useful though, for example a unison lead or bass with a bit of release.

I posted a few clips to another thread at this link:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5026.msg51492.html#msg51492

..although a disclaimer, it was a quick and dirty dry signal example so it may not represent the feature fairly. :)

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »
thanks. was that in p5 or 10 mode? sounds great. i’d love to hear more. especially in p5 mode. p10 PU is obviously really lush but if i were to just get the p5 i’d like to hear what PU sounds like with just 2 1/2 note polyphony (is that right ? p10 pu gives 5 note polyphony , p5 pu gives 2 note polyphony plus one extra non PU note?)

what OS version was pu added? i’d like to try it out for myself when lockdown ends. but it’s possible the units are older with no updated os. hence me asking for pu demos. odd that youtube isn’t full of them.

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 04:40:18 AM »
10 voice mode was used to make those clips -- if I had it limited to 5 voice mode, the amount of polyphony to do those chords wouldn't be available.  Unless I'm mistaken, PU2 was added with OS version 1.5.0 and later.

I haven't used PU2 in 5 voice mode much to date, but in my very brief test, putting the synth in 5 voice mode worked like this:  I sustain two notes, held down in the lower register with my left hand (uses 4 of the 5 available voices), then play a brief staccato of 2 notes with my right hand.  The notes are stolen from the left hand and given to the right, but while sustaining the bass notes, that extra 5th voice is still playing from the higher note being held by my left thumb.

Note that one of the other important changes to recent OS updates was the ability to choose between original P5 style voice allocation and "RR" (Round-Robin), which of course impacts the overall tone in polyphonic situations.   I usually keep mine in P5 mode only because the P6 / OB6 already do RR allocation-- I don't know how RR would impact above behavior off the top of my head.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 04:55:51 AM »
interesting. thanks! if you ever have time i’d love to hear a demo of sounds of the p10 in p5/pu mode with just two notes (4 voices) played. ex: single bass notes and single lead notes. in other words p5 poly unison with no voice stealing. thanks!