The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?

snm10

Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Hey folks
I am thinking of buying the new Prophet 5 or the OB-6. Actually, I like both the sequential and the oberheim sound, so it's hard for me to decide. I do not know if anyone will have both who can give me their opinions, I mean beyond the technical specifications. I think perhaps about the connection with the instrument according to the type of music or sound that one seeks to achieve. I would appreciate it very much.

Re: Semi-OT: Should I get the new P5 or OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
Hey folks
I am thinking of buying the new Prophet 5 or the OB-6. Actually, I like both the sequential and the oberheim sound, so it's hard for me to decide. I do not know if anyone will have both who can give me their opinions, I mean beyond the technical specifications. I think perhaps about the connection with the instrument according to the type of music or sound that one seeks to achieve. I would appreciate it very much.

You can make music with both. Which one speaks to you most? If neither, then maybe keep looking at others. 
I got chills using the OB-6 for the first time. That didn't happen with the P6, though I quite enjoyed it. I bought an OB-6.

Since going into a store may not be possible these days, or safe, I recommend the YT videos by Automatic Gainsay on both instruments. Watch every episode of both. It might help.

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
If you crave the superb SEM Oberheim filter sounds, then the OB6 would be a no brainer.
Most other products from Sequential feature Curtis type filters.
I own an OB6 and Prophet REV2 and they are miles apart. Like djs123 said, the OB6 gives me goose bumps sometimes, whereas the REV2 never did. Maybe I'm an Oberheim kinda guy too?

Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12, VC340

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
If you crave the superb SEM Oberheim filter sounds, then the OB6 would be a no brainer.
Most other products from Sequential feature Curtis type filters.
I own an OB6 and Prophet REV2 and they are miles apart. Like djs123 said, the OB6 gives me goose bumps sometimes, whereas the REV2 never did. Maybe I'm an Oberheim kinda guy too?

There's a mountain of difference between the filters in a Rev2 and a P6 though, and he's asking about the P5, which I don't have but it complicates the question a bit because the OB-6 has modern features like FX and an additional voice over the P5, where the P6 is a more fair comparison.

It doesn't answer the OP's question directly (P5 vs OB6), but if I could only have one I would take my P6 over the OB6, because the versatility is greater and most of the things the OB6 does, the P6 does a little better.  That said the OB6 has that Oberheim fizz to it and the SEM does have a unique sound, so I'm glad to have both.

With a P5 you get two filter choices, the vintage knob, one less voice, but 61 keys, etc.
Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Moog SlimPhatty, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 10.5.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
I have both P10 and OB6, and its tough and really comes down to personal taste.
Main Differences that people dont talk about enough:
  • The Filters are very different, and you have the possibility to try two different filter topologies with the Prophet. The OB6 (based on a SEM) doesnt cut the bass as you add resonance
  • The OB6 has a sub oscillator, which I use on almost every patch I make for a deeper sound
  • The P5/P10 is larger and has 5 octaves, and is heavier. The knobs are also twice as large
  • The OB6 has effects, a sequencer/arpeggiator
  • The OB6 has a slightly dirtier sound (and hidden analog distortion) but is also brassy
  • Polymod section of the P5/10 seems deeper and ever so slightly more capable

They are both (all?) great synths and have their space in any mix. Its up to you to find which you prefer.
Watch all the YouTube demos you can (including mine, here) and hear for yourself which one has the tone you prefer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at5_eEC3OY
--shane

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »
Hey folks

I have a Prophet-6 and an OB-6.  I can never make up my mind which I prefer but check out this dude who made this fun track with his OB-6  about 2 or 3 days after buying it. Such a tasty sound. I mean, I love my OB6, had mine for 16 months. Sometimes I prefer the Prophet, sometimes the Obie. Some of the demo videos of synths to be honest can be a bit boring. It's when someone a tually uses the thing to make some music, you can hear what it can do, what it really feels and tastes like, IMHO.
https://youtu.be/5UHUA8SxWXA
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 04:27:49 AM »
Hi!

I hope my experience might help with your decision.

I just took delivery of a OB-6 keyboard. It literally just arrived at my door step yesterday. I have wanted a Prophet 6 for the longest time. Owned the REV 2-16 voice for a while but did not really worked for me. Then when I was ready to pull the trigger on a P6, the P5 Rev 4 was announced. It took me a while to rethink about my synth-buying plan and finally I decided that I'll go for the OB-6 now. And once the initial excitement about the P5/10 release has settled, I will re-evaluate and do more research before taking the plunge.

And after trying out the OB-6 for the last 24 hours, I think it is really a great synth. The REV-2 is very nice but it does not give me the same enjoyment like the OB-6. Even my kid (who is the real pianist at home) remarked that the buttons on the OB-6 are just fun and feels good to the touch. And I believe the OB-6 is sufficiently different from the Prophet architecture that it will justify my purchase of a P5/10 or even a P6 later.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 01:33:07 AM »
Prophet 5 is very tempting for sure.
But OB-6 is still a very fantastic instrument.
I did a short video yesterday to demonstrate OB-6 filter. Hope it will help you with your decision.

Still hoping for vintage knob :-)

https://youtu.be/3dySS0x7h4o

snm10

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 06:56:51 AM »
Thanks for all your advice and recommendations, you are the best!

Best

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
I have an OB-6 with keyboard...I wish it was 61-keys

If I were in your situation, I would ponder the value of 61-keys and something that is the ultimate Prophet synth, vs. something like the OB-6 that is completely unique among modern subtractive synths with the SEM filter
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments