what are DC and audio out in the modulation matrix used for?

what are DC and audio out in the modulation matrix used for?
« on: November 25, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
could somebody please explain what DC and audio out are in the modulation matrix? What are they used for? I tried using them to modulate oscillator frequency, but all they appeared to do was to raise the pitch of the oscillator without adding any additional effect.

jok3r

Re: what are DC and audio out in the modulation matrix used for?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
DC is simply an offset. You can raise/lower another value with it.

AudioOut is the audio signal after the filter (I think)... you can use this as a kind of audio rate modulation source.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
I tried using audio out for audio rate modulation but I couldn't get it to work. I may have had it set up wrong though. The only feature I'm really missing on the Rev 2 is the ability to modulate the frequency of one oscillator with that of another.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
Yeah, Audio Out is a really weird one... It takes the signal path after Oscs>VCF>VCA and digitizes it (at some sub sampling less than audio rate), which can then modulate other parameters... but only certain parameters... hit or miss.   

By routing it to Osc Frequency you can get some weird cross modulation back to frequency, though very crude, and the source always uses the entire audio chain, so it feeds back on itself.   

If you route it to one of the delay fx as destination, and modulate the time of the delay with it, you can get some really weird sounding "rubber band" type of effects...  honestly though, Audio Out has real limited usage, unless you're going for more atonal experimental sounds. 

The Filter Audio Mod Destination is useful though... that provides a Osc1 > Filter Cutoff Frequency Modulation.   If you crank up the resonance on the filter, you'll hear it more evidently...  I've found it useful for modeling transients of brass sounds by applying an envelope to Audio Mod Destination. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
thank you. I just stumbled across one of your videos about Voice component modeling this evening and it just so happened to explain what DC is and what it is used for. sounds like I'll be using that a whole lot more than audio out.