Midi problem with master volume on Rev 2 and Yamaha Tyros 5

Midi problem with master volume on Rev 2 and Yamaha Tyros 5
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:23:00 PM »
hello all. I am a new Rev 2 owner and I'm loving it. I am totally blind and have been blind since birth, and this is the first synthesizer I've ever owned that I can program myself. most of the menu options are detailed in the excellent manual, Enough that it is possible in most cases for me to find things in the menu without having to ask somebody with sight to help me. thanks a bunch Sequential!

I am having a problem with MIDI when my Rev 2 is connected to my Yamaha Tyros 5. I have the Yamaha set up not to send note or program change data,but to send CC Messages to my Rev 2 so I can use the same set of foot pedals for both. The petals do exactly what I want them to do, but every time I change programs or change the volume of a part on the Yamaha, suddenly the master volume on the Rev 2 also changes. I have never noticed behavior like this with any other keyboard. is there anything I can do on the Rev 2 to prevent it from receiving volume messages but let it continue to except other control change messages? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Midi problem with master volume on Rev 2 and Yamaha Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:01:06 PM »
anyone out there who can help me prevent the master volume on my Rev 2 from jumping all over the place when I'm using MIDI?

maxter

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »
Hi Josh,
I've never used a Tyros, but as far as I can tell from looking at the manual there's no way to mute the CC#7 commands (volume pedal) sent over MIDI to the Rev2. Likewise, you can not mute the Rev2 from receiving without muting all other CC commands as well. If you set the Rev2 to NRPN instead of CC messages, it should mute the messages from the volume pedal, but then you mute the other CC messages too, except CC#1 I suppose.

You could add a midi filter to mute the CC messages you want, but that would mean having to pass the messages through a computer, which is probably not what you want.

May I ask what CC messages you want the Rev2 to receive from the Tyros, or what Rev2 parameters you use the Tyros to control by CC commands? Depending on what parameters and how few, perhaps there could be a workaround, don't get your hopes up, but just maybe.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
thanks for responding. The volume pedal is not where the problem is. when I move one of the sliders on the Yamaha to control volume of one of its parts, that part being on the same midi channel as the Rev 2, Then the master volume on the Rev 2 also changes. I want the Rev 2 to receive all CC Messages except for the volume message. The main messages I want it to receive are for sustain and expression.

I thought about it last night, and I may have come up with a workaround. I could configure the Tyros and Rev 2 so that the Rev 2 is on a channel that corresponds to a part on the Yamaha that I'm not using. that could mean that I could control the Rev 2 volume from the Tyros if I wanted to, but the volume wouldn't randomly jump around anymore. I was hoping that there was a simpler way to do it but I guess there isn't. I already use 3 pedals for the Yamaha and I don't want to have to use another pedal for the Rev 2. thanks for taking the time to also look in the Tyros 5 manual.

maxter

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
That sounds like a good workaround to me! I've done similar setups sometimes, I would actually say it's a quite simple solution by comparison to others. Not too much to set up, and once you're set, you're good to go. I don't know how the Tyros works or how many parts it has, but I assume there are enough to spare one. I think you'll get good results by that solution.

If not, or other problems occur, just post again here at the forum! And oh, I forgot to welcome you to the forum last time, sorry... So, welcome!  :)
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
thanks again. on the Tyros, there are 4 parts that the keyboard can play at the same time, Left,right 1,right 2, and right 3. there are only 2 songs that I use the right 3 part on, But that won't be necessary anymore now that I have the Rev 2. I plan on using that part to send footpedal messages to the Rev 2. that part does not change programs when you change the programs of the other parts. I am still going to have to figure out a way to deal with the fact that the assignable slider changes the volume of all parts the way I have it set up now. The options to change that are very limited. The only workaround I have come up with is to run the Rev 2 through the auxiliary input on the Tyros and adjust the auxiliary input volume so that it is equal with the other parts. that could mean that some or all of my panel registrations that I have made for the Tyros May have to be redone, but it looks like that's the only workaround.