Feature request: auto arpeggio sync

Feature request: auto arpeggio sync
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
Current behaviour:
If you want for the Prophet 6 arpeggio to sync to midi clock, you have to go into globals and change the clock mode.
However, now you can't use the arpeggio when there's no midi clock. Then you have to go into globals once more, and change it back.

Future behaviour:
Auto-clock (maybe a new globals setting). Meaning, if there's midi clock present, the arpeggio will sync to that. If there's no midi-clock present, the arpeggio will sync to the internal clock.

All of the above could apply to the sequencer as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:53:22 PM by Telstar »

Re: Feature request: auto arpeggio sync
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
+ 1000 % to that

Current behaviour:
If you want for the Prophet 6 arpeggio to sync to midi clock, you have to go into globals and change the clock mode.
However, now you can't use the arpeggio when there's no midi clock. Then you have to go into globals once more, and change it back.

Future behaviour:
Auto-clock (maybe a new globals setting). Meaning, if there's midi clock present, the arpeggio will sync to that. If there's no midi-clock present, the arpeggio will sync to the internal clock.

All of the above could apply to the sequencer as well.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
On a sidenote: although this forum is the official DSI curated forum, it's rare I see an actual employee answer any of the questions/requests in here. Are DSI employees taking note of whats going on in here, especially concerning feature requests? Or would it be better if we direct it to DSI support via email?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
DSI staff does monitor this forum and read the posts.  They generally respond only to questions that need company responses, but they do see the requests.  If you want advice or guidance on the uses of instruments, this is the place to find it.  But if you have serious issues that need quick official answers, contact DSI directly.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:17:05 PM »
As they should ! Over at Eventide (another great company BTW)some of the best new ideas they implemented in their products directly came from the user forum. Eclipse, factors and H9 have some of my ideas added to the OS, as is other contributors.

cheers

DSI staff does monitor this forum and read the posts.  They generally respond only to questions that need company responses, but they do see the requests.  If you want advice or guidance on the uses of instruments, this is the place to find it.  But if you have serious issues that need quick official answers, contact DSI directly.

Chi

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:31:04 AM »
Would be great if the sync implementation was improved so that the arp could be reliably triggered.  As it is, pressing a chord or note slightly too early or late results in a janky off-beat arp in relation to the clock.  It is the right tempo but gets offset unless you have the accuracy of a Swiss clock.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
To be clear, this is not a MIDI clock sync issue. The Prophet-6 does reliably sync to external MIDI clock, and yes, you have to have good timing because although it is tempo-synced you're still playing the keys live. What you're asking for is beat sync, which is a feature request. It's on our list, though I don't know if or when it will be implemented. In the meantime, you can either improve your timing or trigger the notes via external MIDI.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
My only experience of beat sync to an external midi clock is with a Nord A1. I never expected such a feature to be so useful or inspiring. It takes a lot of the risk out of improvising latched/held arpeggios in a live situation, when you can be dividing your time between multiple synths and sequencers.

Personally, although I'm not expecting beat sync to be added to the P6, I'd be delighted if it were.

sofine

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:06:26 AM »
"Beat sync" is in the Moog Sub37 and it is very useful and fun.

I hope it gets added to the Prophet 6 (and Pro2)

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
I already asked about beat sync in this thread:
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,445.0.html
My original question was about auto arpeggio sync. Please don't hijack the thread.

One thing I can add: If you create a patch that syncs the arpeggio to midi clock - the next time you load this patch (and don't have midi clock going to the P6 input), it seems like the synth is dead. Sometimes you can spend quite some time turning knobs, wondering why theres no sound, before it suddenly hits you: aaaah, the globals setting. So you have to go into globals and turn arp sync off, in order to use the patch.

wetfood

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 03:46:46 AM »
agreed! OP's request seems like a no-brainer. It's annoying to have the patch just go dead as soon as my drum machine stops.

(and apologies for adding to the hijacking, but an option for beat syncing would be absolutely brilliant, and I'd argue that it would be the preferred mode of playing for most players out there.

just had a thought:  if Beat-Sync would engage when the clock is synced with external midi/usb, and returned to normal otherwise?)

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
I noticed other synths have a "Sync" button, to switch between midi-clock sync and internal sync, for the arpeggiator.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 04:39:39 AM »
beat sync is needed. My timing is solid and still the arp isn't triggering reliably.

Chi

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »
The arpeggiator is incredibly difficult to work with without beat sync.  The prophet 6's implementation of an arp takes, what is ordinarily, one of the most enjoyable, fun and immediate parts of most synthesizers and turns it into a frustration which mocks you at every chord change.  I know some very highly trained pianists and keyboard players and each and every one of them has failed my 'four chords changes at a constant rhythm' prophet 6 timing test.  Now that we have this confirmed by one of the most accomplished synthesists of our era - Mr Goldenfingers no less - is there a chance we might see this improved?

What do we want? Beat-Sync!! When do we want it? Now!!....

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
I would also really like to have beat sync for the arp and especially the sequencer! It makes playing another synth and triggering the sequence with a footswitch much more safe in a live situation.

REALLY hope beat sync for sequencer and arp gets implemented! :))

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
Really had enough of this arp not beat syncing problem. Its simply not acceptable that the arp wont play in time no matter how hard I attempt to stay in time. Total frustration. Really should have been fixed by now. Its a huge deal!

wetfood

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:37 AM »
Agreed.

Without beat sync the arpeggiator and sequencer are extraordinarily weak. I have pretty decent timing at the keyboard, but the manual sync is very clumsy, and I would not want to use it in a live scenario. I truly don't understand some of the design decisions that went into the P6. Wonderful sounding synth without a doubt, but some of the basic functions and designs seem to have been made without consulting actual performing musicians.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
"Send Midi Clock in Stop Mode"

My host, Nuendo has this function and it makes the Seq/Arp usable even when the Nuendo transport is stopped. Check your host for something like that.

All my synths that need midi clock get it all the time. I don't mess about with changing my clock assignments. Already have too much to remember. If the patch that I'm using doesn't need it, the synth simply ignores it.

Ahh, forgot to add that if you hold 1 note down while changing chords with the arp running, the timing won't be interrupted.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:32:09 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)