Complex wavetable: Preparation, conversion, integration with PRO3

Hi!

I have prepared for those who are interested an explanatory PDF document (step by step) on the procedure of preparing "complex" wavetables that I use, which will then be converted and transferred to the pro 3.

You will find attached the explanatory PDF translated into US or FR.

I would also love to hear about your process for generating wavetables and converting them on demand from the Pro 3.

__ FR

Salut !

J'ai préparé pour ceux que cela intéresse, un document PDF explicatif  (étape par étape) sur la procédure de préparation de tables d'ondes "complexe" que j'utilise, qui sera ensuite convertie et transférée dans le pro 3.

Vous trouverez en pièce jointe le PDF explicatif traduit en US ou en FR.

Je serais ravis par ailleurs de connaitre votre processus pour générer des wavetables et les convertir aux demandes du Pro 3.

:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:05:32 AM by lvbeethoven »
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

chysn

Re: Complex wavetable: Preparation, conversion, integration with PRO3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:50:30 AM »
Thank you for putting this together. As a future Pro 3 owner, I found it very informative.

The process seems a bit convoluted. This isn't a criticism of you, of course, because you're just documenting what you have to do. But I'd want to get a single WAV file from Serum and upload that directly to the wavetable generator, without having to chop it up or convert it.

I've been reading about wavetable creation, and it seems like Serum is sort of the industry-standard product. I was also wondering what form my own wavetable tool would take, and now I think I have my answer. The path from Serum to the Pro 3 needs to be as direct as possible.

Thanks!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:44 AM »
Hi Chysn

It is indeed possible to minimize the procedure because it is indeed long!

On the other hand, we are obliged to generate 16 wave cycles. So 16 files. Then no need to go through Audacity to convert 48Khz 16bits.

It is possible to deposit files directly in 41Khz 32bits in the Sequential wavetable Generator.

This saves a significant amount of time. It's already that !
I will edit my post, to warn that it is not necessary to do the conversion procedure in Audacity.

Thank you !! 8) :)

__ FR

Effectivement il est possible de minimiser la procédure car effectivement c'est long !

Par contre on est bien obliger de générer 16 cycles d'ondes. Donc 16 fichiers. Ensuite inutile de passer par Audacity pour convertir en 48Khz 16bits.

Il est possible de déposer les fichiers directement en 41Khz 32bits dans le wavetable Generator de Sequential.

Ce qui fait gagner un temps non négligeable. C'est déjà ça !
Je vais retoucher mon post, pour prévenir qu'il n'est pas nécessaire de faire la procédure de conversion dans Audacity.

Merci !!  8) :)
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:54:02 AM »

NO CONVERSION TO AUDACITY.
DIRECTLY DEPOSIT THE 16 CYCLES IN THE GENERATOR
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 05:58:46 AM »
Serum has some really awesome table editing and generation features.
I have nothing better to offer in any case. Indeed it is paying, but it is a value on computer music.

So it is possible first to edit a wavetable and then to prepare it to bring it into the pro3.
I find it good. The result once in the Pro 3 is really cool.

Now it all depends on the wavetables. Sometimes some sound better than others.
It depends on what its looking for

;)
__FR
Serum dispose de certaines fonctions d'édition et de génération de table vraiment géniales.
Je n'ai pas mieux à proposer en tous cas. Effectivement il est payant, mais c'est une valeur sur en MAO.

Ainsi il est possible en premier d'éditer une table d'onde et ensuite de la préparer pour l'amener dans le pro3.
Je trouve ça bien. Le résultat une fois dans le Pro 3 est vraiment cool.

Maintenant tous dépend des tables d'ondes. Parfois certaines sonnent mieux que d'autres.
Ca dépend de ce que l'on cherche.

;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:00:27 AM by lvbeethoven »
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:32:03 AM »

NO CONVERSION TO AUDACITY.
DIRECTLY DEPOSIT THE 16 CYCLES IN THE GENERATOR

There is a problem with not converting to 48Khz 16bits.
The quality is significantly reduced. I just did a comparative test. When you do not do the conversion, the wavetable has a very metallic side and the bass is almost nonexistent.

So unfortunately for quality reasons the conversion by Audacity is necessary.

__ FR

Il y a un problème avec le fait de ne pas faire la conversion en 48Khz 16bits.
La qualité est amoindrie nettement. Je viens de faire un test comparatif. Lorsqu'on ne fait pas la conversion, la table d'onde présente un coté très métallique et les basses sont presque inexistante.

Donc malheureusement pour des raisons de qualité la conversion par Audacity est nécessaire.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:54 AM »
I add the image as an attachment to specify that before exporting the 16 wave cycles of Audacity, you must set the project rate in 48khz "visible at the bottom left".

I think I forgot this precision in the PDF.

__FR
Je rajoute l'image en pièce jointe pour préciser qu'avant exporter les 16 cycles d'ondes depuis Audacity, il faut ajuster le taux du projet en 48khz "visible en bas à gauche".

Je pense avoir oublié cette précision dans le PDF.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

RAFH

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »
First off, thanks for putting the PDF together. I originally was using serum to generate wavetables (and use ones already existing) , however, Serum exports their wavetables at a length of 2048 samples. Pro-3 takes 1024. There isn't a simple solution to converting these from 2048  to 1024, that I have learnt about. So my question is, are the wavetable's quality remaining after going through the pro-3 utility online, since they are supposed to be at 1024 samples in length? Do they sound the same in serum as in the Pro-3?
Sequential Pro-3, Elektron Analog Heat MK2, Elektron Analog RYTM MK2, Elektron Analog Four MK2, Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, Behringer TD-3, 104hp Modular Synth w/Mutable Instruments modules, 48hp Modular FX box with Intellijel Rainmaker and Audio I/O, Eventide H9 MAX

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »
Hi RAFH

Serum is a Ferrari, Pro 3 is Mini Austin when it comes to the wavetable.

It is very difficult to import into the Pro 3 and finally if it is possible the quality is mixed I find.
It must be said that the resolution is lower on the Pro 3, so the rendering will be felt.

Yes the PDF is nice, I should update it ... because some info has been added to the process, in particular the conversion to 1024 48 kHz.

Personally, I rage against sequential for the ergonomics of work around the import of a wavetable. To avoid completely!

__FR
Salut RAFH

Serum est une Ferrari, Pro 3 est Mini Austin en ce qui concerne la table d'onde.

Il est très difficile d'importer dans le Pro 3 et finalement si cela est possible la qualité est mitigée je trouve.

Il faut dire que la résolution est plus faible sur le Pro 3, donc le rendu s'en fera sentir.

Oui le PDF est sympa, je devrais le mettre à jour... car des infos sont venues se greffer au processus, notamment la conversion en 1024 48 kHz.

Personnellement, je rage contre sequential pour l'ergonomie de travail autour de l'import d'une table d'onde. A fuir totalement !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 06:26:20 PM by lvbeethoven »
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt