My First Sequential

My First Sequential
« on: November 21, 2020, 02:38:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I have been in the market for a new synth  for a couple of months now and after playing around with many different synths at local stores, I have decided it should be a prophet. Only thing is I am not sure which one as they all seem pretty great. I have only messed around with the pro 3 and the OB6. I loves both but out of those 2 I preferred the pro 3, however listening to demos of almost all of DSI, they all sound pretty great.

So I wanted to get a few recommendations on some of your favourites, assuming you had to pick one.

The only 2 requirements I have are for it to be poly, and have patch recall (and possibly a vst editor). Mostly I will just be jamming with a drum machine but if I did want to use it in a track I would love to be able to open up a project with the patch saved.

Also I'm aware any synth can fit into any genre and that they are not genre restricted, but if anyone using it in the house/tech house/techno genre can give some input that would be great. And yes I know these genres are sample based...still just asking anyway!

Now if I'm being honest, I have a pretty basic understanding of synthesizers, for me it is just a hobby. I know there are many other specs other people find important when choosing a synth but for me if it sounds great and is fun to use then I'm sweet. I also make music but again, it's just a hobby. So I'm not trying to find a synth that will fill the void of all my unfinished work, incase anyone was thinking this. I just love collecting and playing around with well built, great sounding synths!

Any feedback would be great, looking to take advantage of black friday.

Appreciate it and sorry for the long post!

Re: My First Sequential
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:55:58 AM »
If you like the sound, I'd recommend the Rev 2. It's bi-timbral, so you can split/layer the keyboard with two sounds, and each sound can have its own sequence and fx. You can also play on top of those sequences with any extra voices. The 16-voice model would facilitate this nicely. I think the Rev 2 would give you the most compositional variety in your jamming.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 12:25:31 AM »
Hi Nick: D

I just bought a Pro 3. Why a Pro 3?

First chose, it has a wavetable oscillator which gives the possibility of integrating its own tables.
Which means that ... you need a table with a PC or others, you can use a very powerful VST to create a table for example ... and then integrate into Pro3. This makes it possible to control a wavetable and its functions in the synthesizer and to be able to customize as needed.

Second has chosen, the Pro 3 can be directed entirely, I mean entirely by its VST (Pro3 PlugSE) in Ableton, Cubase or others. A listener. This means that you can control all the parameters of the Pro3 by computer. This gives you the ability to automate functions surgically if needed. Choose very useful in modern music styles, like EDM, Riddim, Bass house, Techno, Trap, Pop, IDM, DnB, Ambiance etc.

3rd chose, the pro 3 with the particularity offered by some of these functions ... a very very aggressive sound, which gives a modern effect.

Regarding polyphony. The Pro 3 is monophonic but you can get partial polyphony all the same.
You have to start from the idea that it's a monophonic synth, and you ask the following question; do you really need 4 or more voice polyphony? Knowing that the Pro 3 produces an "illusion" of 3-voice polyphony. Convenient function.

Note that you can, thanks to 3 oscillators generate chords, by applying pitch adjustments (intervals).

The Pro 3 has an internal modulation matrix, which means you can control different elements from different sources. 32 modulation points .. it's huge, and leaves the field to immense complexity.

The Pro 3 is a modern synthesizer ... a sophisticated and aggressive monophonic. A current tool. For current and future futuristic music.

The Pro 3's sequencer will also be suitable for expanding to set up complex repeating loops.

Conclusion:

Sophisticated sound, fully computer controllable, integrated wavetable; versatile sound (soft / aggressive)

For techno:
Big bass sound, sequencer, synth pad, texture, aggressive lead, percussive sound. Meet your expectations.

8) :);)

__ FR
Salut Nick  :D

Je viens d'acheter un Pro 3. Pourquoi un Pro 3 ?

Première chose, il possède un oscillateur à table d'onde (wavetable) qui, donne la possibilité d'intégrer ses propres tables.
Ce qui veut dire que... vous créez une table avec un PC ou autres, vous pouvez utiliser un VST très performant pour créer une table par exemple... et ensuite vous l'intégrer au Pro3. Ce qui permet de piloter donc une table d'onde et ses fonctions dans le synthétiseur et de pouvoir les personnaliser au besoin.

Seconde chose, le Pro 3 peut être dirigé intégralement, je dis bien intégralement par son VST (Pro3 PlugSE) dans Ableton, Cubase ou autres. A lister. Ce qui veut dire que vous pouvez piloter tous les paramètres du Pro3 par informatique. Ce qui vous donne la possibilité d'automatiser les fonctions de manière chirurgical si besoin. Chose très utile dans des styles de musiques moderne, comme EDM, Riddim, Bass house, Techno, Trap, Pop, IDM, DnB, Ambiance etc.

3eme chose, le pro 3 à la particularité d'offrir par certaines de ces fonctions... un son très très agressif, ce qui donne un effet moderne.

Concernant la polyphonie. Le Pro 3 est un monophonique mais vous pouvez obtenir une polyphonie partielle tous de même.
Il faut partir de l'idée que c'est un Synthé monophonique, et vous posez la question suivante; avez vous besoin vraiment de polyphonie à 4 voix ou plus ? Sachant que le Pro 3 génère une "illusion" de polyphonie à 3 voix. Fonction pratique.

A noter que vous pouvez, grâce au 3 oscillateurs générer des accords, en y appliquant des réglages de hauteurs de notes (intervalles).

Le Pro 3 possèdent une matrice de modulation en interne, c'est à dire que vous pouvez commander différents éléments à partir de sources divers. 32 points de modulation.. c'est énorme, est laisse le champ à une complexité immense.

Le Pro 3 est un synthétiseur moderne... un monophonique sophistiqué et agressif. Un outil actuel. Pour les musiques actuelles et futur.

Le séquenceur du Pro 3 conviendra aussi largement pour configurer des boucles répétitives complexes.

Conclusion:

Sonorité sophistiqué, entièrement contrôlable par informatique, wavetable intégré; sonorité versatile (douce / agressive)

Pour de la techno:
Gros son de basse, séquenceur, pad de synthé, texture, lead agressive, son percussif. Remplira vos attentes.

8) :) ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:48:41 AM by lvbeethoven »
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:56:31 AM »
Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it! As I said I got to play around with the pro 3 in a store and I loved it. Also watched some videos on the Rev2 and it also sounds amazing, but all of the DSI sound great, which is why I'm here  ;D

A big deal for me is the ability to control it via a VST so I would say so far I am leaning towards the pro 3. Not sure if any others have this ability?

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:33:55 AM »
Not sure if any others have this ability?

Try to go directly to the creator of the plugins related to sequential synthesizers.

I think they're all more or less computer controllable.
https://soundtower.com

In any case, if you want to do techno, the pro 3 you want to get the sounds and character specific to the style.
 :)

__FR
Essayez d'aller voir directement chez le créateur des plugins en lien avec les synthétiseurs Sequential.

Je pense qu'ils sont tous plus ou moins contrôlable par informatique.
https://soundtower.com

En tous cas si vous voulez faire de la techno, le pro 3 vous permettra d'obtenir les sonorités et le caractère propre au style.
 :)
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 04:38:47 AM »
Je conseille aux eventuels acheteurs de soft soundtower de bien fouiller la démo avant de payer. Leur soft pour le prophet 08 sous mac est incomplet. Et ils sont aux abonnés absents pour l'assistance. Je ne pense pas qu'ils soient malhonnêtes mais listez bien toutes les fonctionnalités avant de payer un soft inutilisable.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »
I'm also having secondary issues with the Pro3 PlugSE plugin. Not that it doesn't work, but this one isn't optimized. Which reduces the interaction on certain points.
I sent last night about this, 6 pages of screenshots and explanations mixing Windows and Mac, to explain the various problems I encountered with this plugin.

I also paid attention to the importance of solving the problems mentioned, because indeed, if this Plugin perfectly integrated what it is for, the Pro 3 increases its creative possibilities tenfold.

__ FR
Je rencontre également des problèmes secondaires avec le plugin Pro3 PlugSE. Non pas qu'il ne fonctionne pas, mais celui-ci n'est pas optimisé. Ce qui réduit l'interaction sur certains points.
J'ai envoyé hier soir à ce propos, 6 pages de captures d'écran et d'explications mêlant windows et Mac, pour expliquer les problèmes divers que je rencontrais avec ce plugin.

J'ai également porté l'attention sur l'importance de résoudre les problématiques évoquées, car effectivement, si ce Plugin intégré parfaitement ce pourquoi il est fait, le Pro 3 décuple ses possibilités de création.

J'espère qu'il vont répondre favorablement, et surtout intervenir... mais qu'il sache je ne vais pas les lâcher.

Il faut être patient et ce prêter au jeu de remonter l'information avec précisions, des solutions seront apportées au fil du temps.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »
I quickly come back to the Pro 3,

The Pro 3, like all synthesizers, still requires an understanding of the basics of synthesis to be able to create your own patches without difficulty. The manual for the device is well supplied and it is important to understand it.

Without it, we risk missing out on interesting possibilities. Even without basic knowledge of sound synthesis, to be totally linked to the factory presets and also not to synthesize anything yourself.

So finality, understand the synthesis beforehand and assimilate the Pro3 manual.

To the pleasure

__ FR
Je reviens rapidement sur le Pro 3,

Le Pro 3 comme tous synthétiseur d'ailleurs, demande quand même la compréhension des bases de la synthèse pour pouvoir créer ses propres patches sans difficultés. Le manuel de l'appareil est bien fourni et il est important de l'assimiler.

Sans ça, on risque de passer à coté de possibilités intéressantes. Voir même sans connaissances de bases sur la synthèse sonore d'être totalement lié au presets d'usine et par ailleurs de ne rien synthétiser soit même.

Donc finalité, comprendre la synthèse au préalable et assimiler le manuel du Pro3.

Au plaisir
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt