Clipping low pass filter

Clipping low pass filter
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this forum and also to DSI synths. I recently bought a Prophet 6.

However my low pass filter started clipping the output when filtering down to around 10'o clock (knob dial, don't know the exact cutoff frequency). Resonance is turned all the way down but it still does this. To get rid of this I have to turn the VCA envelope amount down and also my master volume and program volume. This carries on to all presets and when I restart my unit the issue is temporarily gone, this is why I think it's an internal issue rather than an amateur sound design mistake.

Can somebody help ? Thanks.

MPM

Re: Clipping low pass filter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:00:38 PM »
Sounds like you're describing something us P6 users know all about. Search this forum, you'll find solutions.
To avoid clicks pops clipping, set OSC max around 2pm, LPF max around 1:30 pm (if ENV amount~0).
If still getting noise, lower AMP, key track at half or zero if using +ve ENV amount.
It's true, out of the box, lots of patches clip. I've rescued the ones I like by lowering OSC 1&2 proportionally.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Sounds like you're describing something us P6 users know all about. <snip>
It's true, out of the box, lots of patches clip.

Interesting. I’ll have to play with this some. Maybe I do not recognize clipping, but I don’t think I have noticed anything like this in the 4 years I have owned my P6.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »
Sounds like you're describing something us P6 users know all about. Search this forum, you'll find solutions.
To avoid clicks pops clipping, set OSC max around 2pm, LPF max around 1:30 pm (if ENV amount~0).
If still getting noise, lower AMP, key track at half or zero if using +ve ENV amount.
It's true, out of the box, lots of patches clip. I've rescued the ones I like by lowering OSC 1&2 proportionally.

Update: It's been a while since I got this issue. But I remember that restarting the unit and loading the same preset again would get rid of the clipping, so it was not a preset parameter problem. I also tried both the headphone and line outputs, the clipping was still there. Hmm I guess this is what you get with using analog synths..I also tried calibrating it after the problem but it got stuck on L3 if I remember correctly and then restarting the unit always brings it back to normal.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »
It's a long shot but have you used an expression pedal with your p6 lately?

One time, with my Rev2 and an expression pedal I somehow boosted the overall volume higher than init levels.

The exp setting was set to volume so maybe some headroom was left in that my pedal decided to exceed? Who knows.