Squeaky noices when playing bass notes with low cutoff and medium attack?

I guess the title describes it. Do you recognize this behaviour? It really bugs me :/

Here is an audio example. Its especially noticable when I rehit the same note.

https://soundcloud.com/jtfromsweden/proph-glitch-sound/s-iNhZBa4q35Y

Can you recreate this?

I used patch F1 P25 Plush Pluck, only layer A, effect off, low cutoff off, 0 filter env amount, varying attack around mid-short

but its there in any patch with these kind of settings!

LPF83

Re: Squeaky noices when playing bass notes with low cutoff and medium attack?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:05:26 AM »
I guess the title describes it. Do you recognize this behaviour? It really bugs me :/

Here is an audio example. Its especially noticable when I rehit the same note.

https://soundcloud.com/jtfromsweden/proph-glitch-sound/s-iNhZBa4q35Y

Can you recreate this?

I used patch F1 P25 Plush Pluck, only layer A, effect off, low cutoff off, 0 filter env amount, varying attack around mid-short

but its there in any patch with these kind of settings!

If I duplicate your scenario I start to get a slight clicking around attack=20, but it sounds like a phase thing to me.  Does it go away if you press sync?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »

I've been experiencing something similar with my Rev2 as well and was wondering if this is normal or not.
Here's an audio example of factory patch F2 P19 "P5 Bass". You can hear the high frequency squeak at the end of the note when I release the key.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »
So, I contacted support and got this reply

Thanks for contacting us here at Sequential. I can say what you are hearing is part of the architecture of most analog instruments and is normal. The 'clicking' or 'chirp' you are hearing is a trade off between a lot of issues including the free-running oscillator and the rampdown/rampup times of the internal components vs the time it takes to load the parameters into the voice processors and to the S&H chips. We have the envelopes ramping up as fast as possible so the self-resonating filter is one of the areas where the free-running oscillator will have a more pronounced click or chirp. Since there are no harmonics the sharp rise/fall of the voltage is more noticeable. Another example where it's pronounced is low triangle wave bass patches. We could certainly slow down the envelopes and give people less control over the snappy attack/decay sections to remove the click entirely but would lose the character of some of our sounds that take advantage of that. I hope this answers your question.

I was slightly surprised by this as I do not consider the attack setting I used to be very quick, and I do not recognize this from other analogue gear I use. If is simply a limitation of the instrument, well, its a very unlimited instrument in other ways so then it is just something to learn how to minimize / work around.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »

I've been experiencing something similar with my Rev2 as well and was wondering if this is normal or not.
Here's an audio example of factory patch F2 P19 "P5 Bass". You can hear the high frequency squeak at the end of the note when I release the key.

Well, it is surely the exact same "squeak" or "chirp" as I got, but in the release phase instead. If you read the reply from DSI support above, I guess its just something to learn how to work around (I think in your case you'll get rid of it if you just increase the release slightly)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:06:59 AM »
I believe this is the same issue that is discussed in this topic. Just adding it here for reference.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »
After years of lurking, this is my first post ever to the forum. Please be gentle.

I too experience this on my Mopho desktop and sometimes Rev2. The best professional example of this sound can be heard in the beginning of “Shout” by “Haddaway”. The problem is more pronounced on my Mopho when I use a triangle with a low cutoff and  amp envelope set to gate. For years I referred to this as a squeaky envelope. Glad I found others who are trying to figure it out too. I don’t like this sound but in a mix it seems to go away. However, creating the same patch on my Korg Monologue gives me no clicks, albeit a thinner bass - which is what I need for the particular track at hand.