Could There Ever Be a Solo Synthesizer Repertoire?

Re: Could There Ever Be a Solo Synthesizer Repertoire?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »
Again, this is not about compositions for solo synth in particular, but I found this interview pretty inspiring and felt it fits the topic in a general way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbBQuYpG3s - Will Gregory's Moog Ensemble - Interview

and their webpage: http://www.willgregorymoogensemble.co.uk/

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
Again, this is not about compositions for solo synth in particular, but I found this interview pretty inspiring and felt it fits the topic in a general way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbBQuYpG3s - Will Gregory's Moog Ensemble - Interview

and their webpage: http://www.willgregorymoogensemble.co.uk/

That's the closest I could think of too.

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
I think it could be a great idea and can certainly be achieved in some way.Whether by score only,score with indication on performance(filter,mod wheel,variations etc),score with predetermined preset and performance indications etc.
I think with the event of presets easily movable through internet it could be done.Linking a score and presets together for performance.

It could yield really great things!!!

But the thing is:

A lot of electronic musicians:
Don't know how to write in score
or are not/less interested in producing music to be performed by others imo than just recording.
(the hassle for performance indications could be a turn off for me for example,losing time recording and instead writing performance notes)
It is more of a recording culture than performing culture,it seems,more of a do it yourself attitude in electronic,a lot more anyway than in Classical.
If this was going to happen it would be probably coming from the classical scene more than the electronic scene.
But i think it's an excellent idea!!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:07:36 PM by fxbip »

chysn

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 04:39:52 AM »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
I composed this piece with this thread in mind.  The music is not yet scored, but only because I haven't applied myself to it yet.  From start to finish, the piece could easily be played on a piano, but it was written specifically for synthesizers and it sounds best on them.  I would propose this mediation as an example of exactly what I had in mind in starting this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkS3LgRRqA

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
I composed this piece with this thread in mind.  The music is not yet scored, but only because I haven't applied myself to it yet.  From start to finish, the piece could easily be played on a piano, but it was written specifically for synthesizers and it sounds best on them.  I would propose this mediation as an example of exactly what I had in mind in starting this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkS3LgRRqA

That's nice! It's funny to hear such a "busy left hand" from you, since you would usually play far more sustained notes for accompaniment. So that element immediately stands out.

I really like the oboe-like sound. Sounds very ARP-ish.

As for synth-specific notation systems: I'm not sure whether you've read Trevor Pinch's and Frank Trocco's "Analog Days," but when they mention Mother Mallard, they also go a bit into detail about their techniques, which in turn reminded me of this thread: "The new technology required performing musicians to evolve completely new sets of practices. Mother Mallard typically used standard musical notation for their compositions and made special shorthand patch diagrams to delineate the labyrinth patch changes–sometimes as many as a hundred during a single piece." To clarify the context: Mother Mallard used a big Moog modular setup.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  Yes, I read that book when first getting back into synthesizer shape about seven years ago. 

Regarding the piece of music, no unusual notation would be required.  Just a traditional three-staff score with occasional notes about sounds, manual changes, and dynamics, such as one would commonly find on an organ score.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:52:31 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:57 AM »
I've been listening to Mid-Winter Meditation II several times this morning. You continue to stretch the boundaries for excellence with this beautiful piece.

Under "Instrumentation," I expected to see "DSI Prophet '08 Module (2)" Have you not yet received your new module? As I recall, you were getting it from Pro Audio Star. I ended up driving to their Brooklyn location recently to return some faulty refurbished QSC K12's. (I am now very pleased to have a pair of EV ETX 12's, which I think are much better.) I wouldn't recommend going to the location unless you absolutely have to; it's not like a store-front music store. But, they gave me great service, and it worked out well for me in the end.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
Thanks, Jason.  Yes, I did get the second Prophet '08 Module, but I haven't used it at all yet.  I'd better try it later this week before my warranty is up.  The problem is one of room and a lack of mixer channels.  I was thinking of organizing an all-Prophet '08 set up for a few weeks or months, but I first wanted to get the last piece recorded, and I needed the Poly Evolver for it.

chysn

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his