Imitation Vector Synthesis

Sacred Synthesis

Imitation Vector Synthesis
« on: November 13, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
This is a crude imitation of vector synthesis.  My experience with it consists of nothing more than listening to Sequential Prophet VS videos.  That instrument has always interested me.  So, this is only a rough emulation of the VS, but it's a start.  If nothing else, it proves that the Poly Evolver can do more than meets the eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWx-CWNuL8M

The patch:
- Two different digital waveshapes, set also at different octaves
- Individual LFOs modulate the volume of each oscillator at a rate of 2 and a depth of 100
- The individual oscillator levels are set at 12
- The filter is wide open
- I am doing nothing but holding two notes an octave apart
- Three different patches are used

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:49:13 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Imitation Vector Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
I don't know much about the VS instrument other than a video I saw which sounded pretty cool.    I understand vector synthesis as more or less just an alternate way of controlling parameters with a 360 x-y stick.  Seems like its also associated with synths with digital wave shapes too.   So Yeah,  PEK's a contender.  I wonder if you could use envelopes as a source to get beyond just the rigid up-down, left right axis that an LFO usually does.  Just brainstorming...  Which also makes me wonder if the advent of MPE boards customized to a particular synth could emulate traditional vector control.   I might try to give this a whirl with the Linn on PEK and see what happens. 

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
I admit it's a poor imitation.  I'd like to work on an example that's actually musically useful.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 05:08:58 AM »
You captured it well. It’s hard to emulate without a joystick because the heart of vector synthesis is that two-dimensional zero-sum dance; as one oscillator goes out, another one goes in by the same amount.

The P08 should be good at this, because (as I recall), the oscillator mixer is more of a single balance control, with equal amplitude at center.

The only vector synth I ever owned was a Wavestation, and I regret that I didn’t use the vector synthesis capability enough, obsessed as I was with wave sequencing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:10:38 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
Thanks, Chysn.  My imitation is only a fading in and out of two waveforms, rather than a morphing of one into the other.  But a little more work might produce a better effect and a sound that's more useful.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »
I developed a technique for oscillator cross-fading on the Pro 3. It's super-cool and I doubt it's been done by anyone before. I created a wavetable emulation of a Doepfer "morph controller" eurorack module. It's 0-frequency modulation source with a triangle shape, whose phase can be set with another modulation source. I hook this up to the oscillators with one positive amount and one negative amount, and control the phase of the morph modulator with the slider.

The downside of this approach is that I sacrifice an oscillator to be a morph controller. But if I slowly modulate the analog oscillators' shapes with another source, it might fool the ear into hearing vector synthesis. I'll give this a try and, if it's at all convincing, I'll post a video later this weekend.

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 01:53:30 PM »
Here's a better demonstration of my vector synthesis imitation.  The two sections that follow the deep string patch theme use a Poly Evolver Keyboard patch that modulates all over the place, due to a slow and constant swapping of waveshapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87H5lesS3w

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 06:29:32 AM »
Here's a better demonstration of my vector synthesis imitation.  The two sections that follow the deep string patch theme use a Poly Evolver Keyboard patch that modulates all over the place, due to a slow and constant swapping of waveshapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87H5lesS3w

I've listened to this at least 6 times. Incredible. All this does is make me hopeful for the Pro 3's new morphing abilities to be the focal point of Sequential's next poly synth. VCO and Wavetables....what a combination. :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
Thanks, Lobolives.  At times, the changes are just perfect for the musical moment.  But I was also tweaking the filter with a wheel.  But the main changes are from the imitation vector.  It technically couldn't be called "morphing," I realize, but it has a similar effect.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:58:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 12:15:14 PM »
Thanks, Lobolives.  At times, the changes are just perfect for the musical moment.  But I was also tweaking the filter with a wheel.  But the main changes are from the imitation vector.  It technically couldn't be called "morphing," I realize, but it has a similar effect.

True it's not technically morphing but I'm just thinking of the sonic possibilities....and drooling