Prophet 5/10 - OS Tweak Requests

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
Prophet 5/10 - OS Tweak Requests
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:32:44 AM »
Thought I might start this thread for a one-stop-shop.

When selecting Midi Control > Off program change data going out should be disabled as well as the currently selected parameters. That is, with the current OS setup, patch changes made to the front panel are streamed to the midi out port even when Midi Control is off.

S_A_P

Re: Prophet 5/10 - OS Tweak Requests
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
I havent nailed it down for sure yet, but I can say that on at least 3 occasions, the usb midi out did not work after running a tune routine. The only way Ive been able to fix it is to cycle power. When I open MacOS midi studio it still shows the P10 connected, but no notes or knob movements are transmitted.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
I haven't actually received my Prophet 10 - but one thing I saw on Gearslutz that I too would like to see too regarding octave switching. Perhaps it would be possible to latch that as on and still use the features. I often use octave up/down even on a 5 octave synth. I'm copying/pasting their exact text:

stoobysnax said:
Speaking of octaves... I'm trying to make the P10 my main controller since i love having it in front of me, but am finding that the inability to quickly switch octaves is proving to be the one hurdle. The transpose button is fine, but takes too long to jump up or down an octave. Same thing in Logic Pro... having to click and enter -12 or +12... kills workflow after getting used to a controller that has Octave up / down buttons. Any chance we can see a feature added for quick single key up down 1 or 2 octaves in the sub menu?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=15138909&postcount=5862

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:56:18 AM »
Something I'd really like is a new release mode (piano - 'Pin') where foot on pedal equals release and foot off pedal equals sustain. This would give much more control than the current harsh cut off on release mode. With 10 voices that extra control would be useful. Other users have asked for this to be an extra rather than mod so that the original behaviour is still present if preferred (although of course this could be dialled in via ADSR anyway).

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »
Also of note: Volume is also sent to the Out (MIDI and USB), and shouldn't be. I would argue that this is the one knob that shouldn't send, and should be locked to local control only.
--shane

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
Yeah, I bumped into this last night. It’s weird that the volume sends over midi. My Prophet REV2 used to do the same thing.

I took to either muting the track on my mixer, or shutting off the P5’s wave forms. It would be nice to able to disable the volume from sending over midi though. I’m struggling to picture an instance where I’d desire that specific control.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
When in local-off, and you want to save a patch and enter save-mode, the held down keys are now not transmitted via midi anymore. Makes it hard to compare patches.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
I only have one thing right now. I pretty much only use my P5 in "live panel" mode, and I've noticed that when I switch off the power and then back on a) It doesn't remember that I was last in live panel mode (which would be nice), and b) when I flip it back INTO live panel mode, some buttons seem to sort of be randomly on or off—it doesn't resemble the patch I had when I switched the power off.

The latter is more important to me of those two things…

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »
I only have one thing right now. I pretty much only use my P5 in "live panel" mode, and I've noticed that when I switch off the power and then back on a) It doesn't remember that I was last in live panel mode (which would be nice), and b) when I flip it back INTO live panel mode, some buttons seem to sort of be randomly on or off—it doesn't resemble the patch I had when I switched the power off.

The latter is more important to me of those two things…
Wasn‘t pressing global button 3 times saving the last preset state so when you switch it back on you can resume to the last state.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 01:14:34 PM »
Wasn‘t pressing global button 3 times saving the last preset state so when you switch it back on you can resume to the last state.

That doesn't seem to do anything regarding live panel mode and power cycling…

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:39:21 AM »
This reminds me, there’s a workflow issue when trying to save the current panel mode settings as a preset - it’s impossible to then use the compare feature to check which preset will be overwritten once you’ve pressed “record”. The way around it seems to be to engage preset mode, navigate around to find a patch, go back to panel mode and then press record and the location button. 

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 10:55:56 AM »
I'd love to see a better time resolution for the Filter CV /Expression Pedal. It's super steppy, while the knob for filter cutoff has a perfect resolution, time- and depth-wise.
Is there  hope to get the expression pedal resolution increased?

Steffan

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
I'd love to see a better time resolution for the Filter CV /Expression Pedal. It's super steppy, while the knob for filter cutoff has a perfect resolution, time- and depth-wise.
Is there  hope to get the expression pedal resolution increased?

Steffan

+ 1 for that  :)  It seems to be slightly different behavior with
different pedals .....  As I stated in my post "Expression pedals"   ???

Maybe there has to be a calibration option for pedals, like there is
on the Kemper Profiler, ( yes, I have one of those too in the studio  :D )
so that any pedal work smooth and not steppy or to fast ... ?   :-\

Cheers !

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:48:47 AM by HockeBocke »
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 10:37:54 AM »
Have split patches been mentioned?

After playing a spacey pad I noticed I liked the lower 2 octaves being on Rev 3 and the higher 3 octaves set to Rev 1/2 filter.

Maybe this can be added to the third row of GLOBALS?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:52:16 AM by echoloch »
Korg Mono/Poly, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Buchla Music Easel

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
Also, what if you could somehow set the vintage knob as a destination for the WHEEL-MOD?  :o

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 02:31:02 AM »
Also, what if you could somehow set the vintage knob as a destination for the WHEEL-MOD?  :o

Sounds a bit "overkill" modification IMO  :P
If you can reach the mod wheel while playing, you can reach the vintage knob to .....   ???

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 02:09:02 PM »

If you can reach the mod wheel while playing, you can reach the vintage knob to .....   ???

Cheers !

You can also reach the filter and PW knob but that didn't stop them from being destinations.  ???

Only thing that makes it overkill for me is that it would be a menu dive to enable.

I'm just throwing stuff out there since we now have a third row for GLOBALS.

Cheers

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »

Cheers !

You can also reach the filter and PW knob but that didn't stop them from being destinations.  ???

Only thing that makes it overkill for me is that it would be a menu dive to enable.

I'm just throwing stuff out there since we now have a third row for GLOBALS.

Cheers

Worth bearing in mind that “globals” is what it says it is, namely a setting which applies globally to all presets rather than a per-preset setting. As such, it wouldn’t really be a suitable place for the feature you suggested.

What would be welcome there, however, would be an +/- 1 and 2 octave transpose for the keyboard so that the MIDI notes it spits out when being used as a controller (or when controlling locally) are shifted accordingly. Whilst it currently possible to transpose 12 semitones in either direction, this only affects the pitches, not the MIDI note numbers being sent.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:22 PM »
I, too, am having trouble getting a smooth filter sweep out of the filter CV pedal. Very step-y on either filter version of my 10.

Random OS quirk: I have found that on a blank patch when I change the release / sustain mode in global settings the ocscillator drops an octave.
Sequential Prophet 10, Dave Smith Oberheim Ob-6, Dave Smith Prophet '08

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »
I, too, am having trouble getting a smooth filter sweep out of the filter CV pedal. Very step-y on either filter version of my 10.

Random OS quirk: I have found that on a blank patch when I change the release / sustain mode in global settings the ocscillator drops an octave.

I had the same octave drop happen and mentioned it to Sequential a bit back, so perhaps it'll be addressed in the next OS update...