Prophet-10 Limit number of voices?

Re: Prophet-10 Limit number of voices?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 08:56:11 PM »
Interesting on the voice defeat information. I’m honestly about to pull the daughter card out of my prophet 10 to make a p5.  While I like that I ordered a 10 for some situation when I’m layering VCO’s, I like the way the 5 acts.  I really hope they implement this in firmware… Maybe somehow tie it into holding down the unison button and another button while selecting the number of voices you would like to have active. 

The Moog Matriarch has around 40 user settings and controls like this which are implemented via keyboard notes (keys).  Not sure I like that for this application but it’s an option.

Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 04:24:39 AM »
Interesting on the voice defeat information. I’m honestly about to pull the daughter card out of my prophet 10 to make a p5.  While I like that I ordered a 10 for some situation when I’m layering VCO’s, I like the way the 5 acts.  I really hope they implement this in firmware… Maybe somehow tie it into holding down the unison button and another button while selecting the number of voices you would like to have active. 

The Moog Matriarch has around 40 user settings and controls like this which are implemented via keyboard notes (keys).  Not sure I like that for this application but it’s an option.

The "vintage knob" functionality on the P6 and OB6 gives a third page of globals by pressing Bank + Global, so there are many possibilities in terms of the user interface for adding the feature.  On the original, you just hold down a key, and press Program Select 1 and 8 at same time to defeat that voice (but it is reset on power cycle).  Ideally, I'd like to see the number of voices settable in globals or per patch, but wouldn't complain if it reset on power cycle like the original.

It seems that one advantage of the way it is on the original is that by allowing you to disable a specific voice, in theory, if one doesn't like the way a particular voice is behaving due to variation introduced by the vintage knob, they could disable just that voice.  Some very interesting possibilities there.

I too am very hopeful this will be implemented.  The 5 voice limit is an important feature of some of the tunes created with the original P5. 

I know some might say "if you want 5 voices get the 5".... but the argument that says "a reissue should honor the features of the original"  (voice defeat in this case) is a far stronger argument.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »
I too am very hopeful this will be implemented.  The 5 voice limit is an important feature of some of the tunes created with the original P5. 

I know some might say "if you want 5 voices get the 5".... but the argument that says "a reissue should honor the features of the original"  (voice defeat in this case) is a far stronger argument.

Ok, this is great and I'm actually optimistic that a voice defeat is coming based on your post above.  As I said I'm glad I have a 10 for those times when I want 20 VCO's catching up with one another.  BUT there are times when I wan't to play octaves in the bass and triads in the treble and have voices cancelling each other out.
Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »
I did it. Last night I removed my daughter card and closed everything back up. I carefully wrapped that voice card in an anti-static bag and stored it.

It really feels now like a historical prophet five.. it’s still good to have the option to put it back in later when I want to tinker with 20 VCO’s but I’m gonna keep it as a prophet five for now.

I did update to 1.2.0 before I pulled the card because I wasn’t sure if the firmware was writing anything to the secondary card although I do doubt it.  The nvram/prom is probably on the mainboard only.

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 07:30:24 AM »
I did it. Last night I removed my daughter card and closed everything back up. I carefully wrapped that voice card in an anti-static bag and stored it.

It really feels now like a historical prophet five.. it’s still good to have the option to put it back in later when I want to tinker with 20 VCO’s but I’m gonna keep it as a prophet five for now.

I did update to 1.2.0 before I pulled the card because I wasn’t sure if the firmware was writing anything to the secondary card although I do doubt it.  The nvram/prom is probably on the mainboard only.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the results, but if being honest I liked it better when you were on my team lobbying for a software defeat :).   

I'd like the ability to toggle between 5 and 10 voices rapidly.  Even better, being able to set it to 6 or 8 voices would be a dream come true for those looking to specifically replicate voice behavior on some 6 or 8 voice vintage synths.

I also believe it may lead to higher support or replacement board costs to Sequential if folks are regularly removing hardware components to do something that could be solved with a simple software solution.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:32:04 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm glad to hear you're happy with the results, but if being honest I liked it better when you were on my team lobbying for a software defeat :).   

I'd like the ability to toggle between 5 and 10 voices rapidly.  Even better, being able to set it to 6 or 8 voices would be a dream come true for those looking to specifically replicate voice behavior on some 6 or 8 voice vintage synths.

I also believe it may lead to higher support or replacement board costs to Sequential if folks are regularly removing hardware components to do something that could be solved with a simple software solution.

Oh I'm still on your team lobbying for a voice defeat option. And I will put my card back in WHEN that is released because we all love those big 20 VCO UNISON patches. 

jok3r

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 02:43:19 AM »
Just found out, that the OB-6 has a voice defeat feature, too. Carson is saying that in the video below.

https://youtu.be/s_XR7ruZEq8?t=1253

He didn't mention if the feature is activated by software with some key presses, or automatically when removing such a voice card. Does anyone know that?

If it's done per software, perhaps there's really hope, that they will implement it for the P5/10, too.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 04:36:04 AM »
Just found out, that the OB-6 has a voice defeat feature, too. Carson is saying that in the video below.

https://youtu.be/s_XR7ruZEq8?t=1253

He didn't mention if the feature is activated by software with some key presses, or automatically when removing such a voice card. Does anyone know that?

If it's done per software, perhaps there's really hope, that they will implement it for the P5/10, too.

Great find jok3r! 

After seeing the thread below, I confirmed that holding down a key, then pressing Portamento + Hold on the OB6 does defeat that voice.  Same works for Prophet 6 (substitute Glide button for Portamento).  The Prophet 5/10 has only a knob for glide, so most likely the defeat option is there under another combination, this morning I don't have time to experiment but may do so this evening or over the weekend.  Maybe someone at Sequential could chime in and let us know what it is?

And assuming it's there, it's a great troubleshooting tool and something that has some very useful musical possibilities!

But, it's also not quite what I'm hoping for -- I still would like to be able to specify the number of voices, and adjust that value without powering down the synth.  It is okay with me if it resets to the default 10 voices on powering back up, I just don't want to have to power down to go from say 5 to 10 and back again.

(OB6 voice defeat thread): https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=2640.0#:~:text=Voice%20Defeat%3A,gets%20ignored%20until%20power%20off.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:39:29 AM by LPF83 »

jok3r

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 04:50:32 AM »
Wow, the Glide-Hold shortcut works on the Rev2 as well!! Succesfully turned my Rev2-16 into a Rev2-2 to test it. So I would guess it seems to be one of Sequential team's default debugging tools and chances are high they implemented it in the P5, too.

Now I have to send a new feature request in the Rev2 sub forum  8)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 05:09:19 AM »
Wow, the Glide-Hold shortcut works on the Rev2 as well!! Succesfully turned my Rev2-16 into a Rev2-2 to test it. So I would guess it seems to be one of Sequential team's default debugging tools and chances are high they implemented it in the P5, too.

Now I have to send a new feature request in the Rev2 sub forum  8)

I wouldn't mind to have it on my Rev2 as well, but it's far lower priority there than the P10, because I can easily use Rev2 as an 8 voice synth already by simply using multi-mode and ignoring one layer.

jok3r

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 05:41:12 AM »
Yes, but having 8 voices is some times still too much, especially when using polyphonic glide. I like 5-6 voices for that, because the glides are more predictable and for my taste more musically. Now I know this, I can easily do that at home in my studio, but on stage this is quite difficult to do.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »
Yes, but having 8 voices is some times still too much, especially when using polyphonic glide. I like 5-6 voices for that, because the glides are more predictable and for my taste more musically. Now I know this, I can easily do that at home in my studio, but on stage this is quite difficult to do.

I agree. But 8 voices are great when stack two sounds as in some Oberheims. The 5 voices of the P5 suite me perfectly. Its easy to forget how much fix and tricks it was earlier to achieve what we take for granted with instruments today. Unlimited stacking is no problem today with unlimited tracks with modern DAWs as well as computer based tools beyond imagination when the Prophet 5 first was invented. After all the P5/10 is a time machine back to the 70s/80s and can be used in our modern time of computer power.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:35:17 AM by Analog Prophet »

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »
This is awesome news!!! Thank you so much Sequential!

LPF83

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »
WOW!  Fantastic news indeed....  I love this company :) 

Can't wait to try all three of these (5 voice limit, voice allocation mode choice and poly unison)

jok3r

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 10:38:11 PM »
Well, I guess now I am definitely in on a P10 at the end of the year... If I can basically turn it in a P5 now for some special use cases, I better save up some more bucks and get the whole package...

Now I just have to figure out where to get one of the original Prophet~5 batches for the front panel ;-) It just looks cooler ;-) Nobody needs to know that it has 10 voices  ;D

Qwave

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 02:15:09 AM »
A big THANK YOU Sequential for this 1.5 update.
Now all my wishes for functionality are fulfilled.
keep on turning these knobs

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 06:15:05 AM »
A big THANK YOU Sequential for this 1.5 update.
Now all my wishes for functionality are fulfilled.

I agree completely.  BUT now the nerds need a velcro nameplate  ::)

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 07:44:16 AM »
Fantastic.  Thanks guys.  I'll be putting my daughter card back in the P10 tonight!

ddp

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »
And all was good in the lands.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.