The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Prophet-10 Limit number of voices?

Prophet-10 Limit number of voices?
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
Hello,

I am thinking on getting the Prophet-10 but for vintage reasons I would also like to be able to play it with 5 voices to get this "voice cut" when playing chords. Would I be able to play the Prophet-10 like a Prophet-5?

Kind regards

LPF83

Re: Prophet-10 Limit number of voices?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »
Hello,

I am thinking on getting the Prophet-10 but for vintage reasons I would also like to be able to play it with 5 voices to get this "voice cut" when playing chords. Would I be able to play the Prophet-10 like a Prophet-5?

Kind regards

I am in the same boat, and I've heard many others elsewhere wondering same...last I heard, it was being considered.  I'm probably going to hold off on my purchase for a while until the decision materializes. 
Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 10.5.

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »
Hello,

Kind regards

You could remove the 2nd voice board...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
Hello,

Kind regards

You could remove the 2nd voice board...

I think ease of toggling back and forth between 5 and 10 (or even better being able to set it to a value in between to imitate voice stealing on 6 and 8 note vintage synths) is probably a key wish list item for a lot of folks.
Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 10.5.

ddp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »
It's not for me.  If you want a new Prophet 5, buy one.  I think more voices is better.  10's all the fingers I have, so it's a good number.  16 and 32 were dreamed up by programmers.
Buchla, Polyend, MicroFreak, Minimoog Model D, Subsequent, Moog One, Prophet X, Tempest, formerly Prophet 6 and Rev2.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 04:04:02 AM »
It's not for me.  If you want a new Prophet 5, buy one.  I think more voices is better.  10's all the fingers I have, so it's a good number.  16 and 32 were dreamed up by programmers.

Sometimes additional voices are good and sometimes they get in the way.. some folks would like to capture the sound of the voice stealing on the P5 for faithful vintage recreations, but also have access to the entire 10 voices on the unit.  To me limiting the voice count seems like a very reasonable feature request for a $4300 synth.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
... 16 and 32 were dreamed up by programmers.
Play a two bass notes and and a four note chord on the right hand. Then two different bass notes and another four notes on the right. This would need 12 voices if the release is not longer than the tempo you change the chords.

And if you use a sustain pedal (in hold mode), you may even use more voices.

The actual needed voice number depends on playing style and the result you would like to get. If you like chords blend from one to another, you may even need more than 10 voices.

And if you got split and layer function, you might even need more voices easily. So the numbers are not dreamed up by programmers.

I got a Prophet 10 Rev4. And the number of voices is OK most of the times. But I did had some voice stealing happening. But these were in rather extreme situations. Not everyday use.
keep on turning these knobs

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:17 AM »
... 16 and 32 were dreamed up by programmers.
Play a two bass notes and and a four note chord on the right hand. Then two different bass notes and another four notes on the right. This would need 12 voices if the release is not longer than the tempo you change the chords.

And if you use a sustain pedal (in hold mode), you may even use more voices.

The actual needed voice number depends on playing style and the result you would like to get. If you like chords blend from one to another, you may even need more than 10 voices.

And if you got split and layer function, you might even need more voices easily. So the numbers are not dreamed up by programmers.

I got a Prophet 10 Rev4. And the number of voices is OK most of the times. But I did had some voice stealing happening. But these were in rather extreme situations. Not everyday use.

Another factor is the nature of the sound being used.. a voice count that works with a patch with piano-like properties may have a different requirement than a fat poly pad sound.