Rev 2 16 voice vs Prophet 5 Rev 4

Rev 2 16 voice vs Prophet 5 Rev 4
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm having a dilemma. I currently own a Rev 2 16 Voice, and I love it for its capabilities and bang for buck. However, since the Prophet 5 came out, I have been greatly considering getting it. I would be losing a lot of modulation capabilities, voices, etc....but the sound of the Prophet 5 and its simplicity I feel are huge positives in its own right.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on such a dilemma? I would sell my Rev 2 if I decided to get the Prophet 5 most likely..but if you believe keeping both is a great option, then that would be a consideration as well!

Would love to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Best,
Tom

LoboLives

Re: Rev 2 16 voice vs Prophet 5 Rev 4
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
What’s more important to you? Features? A name? Sound? Nostalgia? Experimenting?

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »
They are different synths with different strengths and weaknesses... so if you want a diverse toolset, use both.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
I’m quite happy with the Rev2 and have no plans to get a Prophet 5.

This is the first comparison video that I have seen. Like comparing the Prophet 6 and Rev2,  I think the raw sounds can be made to sound remarkably similar… But you have to work a little harder to get them with the Rev2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cY8WcDoTVeM

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:23:29 AM by Jason »

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »

This is the first comparison video that I have seen. Like comparing the Prophet 6 and Rev2,  I think the raw sounds can be made to sound remarkably similar… But you have to work a little harder to get them with the Rev2.

I saw this video, but I feel that it is similar to the Starsky Carr video where he compares a Rev2 to a Prophet 6.  It shows how they can sound similar in some situations, but they don't convey the true sonic differences between the two in real-world playing.

When two synths are being compared, I think there are multiple possible comparison criteria, some of which are:

1.  Ways the two can sound similar
2.  Ways the two can sound different
3.  The differences/similarities that occur when using one or the other for live playing vs general music composition, etc.
4.  How the synth "naturally wants to sound" during sound sculpting, when not being specifically goaded toward sounding like another synth

Most comparison videos I've seen focus only on #1 because it's the low-hanging fruit and patch matching between is far easier than exploring all of the vast territory of differences and range of each synth.  Very few people invest the time to do #2 or #3 because its infinitely more time consuming.

I could probably sit down and whip up 4-5 patches and make them sound identical on all of three Rev2, P6, and OB6.  Most synths have the capability to emulate another synth reasonably well.  Even though I don't have a Rev4 yet, I'm guessing Justin could have easy compared a sound on the Rev2 with FX to a dry signal on the Rev4, and listeners would have (unfortunately) come to the conclusion that the Rev2 has a richer sound.

Working with them side by side (and not limited by YouTube grade audio), I feel the difference in both oscillators and filter between the Rev2 and P6 are substantial, I would expect the Rev4 to sound closer to the P6.  Even the OB6 and P6, which have identical oscillators, FX and differ only in filter type, really have their own personality as Dave always says.

I do agree with Justin, that the Rev2 is the best value in Sequentials product portfolio right now.  There are things the P6 and OB6 do better, but there are things the Rev2 does better.  I treat them all as equals with different pros and cons.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:26:48 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 06:56:41 AM »
Here's a follow-up video to that last one. These aren't the greatest videos in the world, but there aren't many around. This one focuses more on the differences, and wow, the Prophet 5/10 sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxNgPBhTAQ
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:15:44 AM by Jason »

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:01 AM »
Ranking the recent Prophets I've owned:
1. P10

2.P6
3.PX
4.P12
5.Rev2 16 voice

The Rev2 is not in the same league in sound quality as the rev 4. I'm used to tweaking like crazy to get the other Prophets to sound like I want them. The rev 4 might be limited in terms of options, but it also feels like I don't have to do anything to get it to make me say "whoa" about how good a patch sounds. In fact, it's so easy the synthesist in me almost feels like it's cheating.

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »
Ranking the recent Prophets I've owned:
1. P10

2.P6
3.PX
4.P12
5.Rev2 16 voice

The Rev2 is not in the same league in sound quality as the rev 4. I'm used to tweaking like crazy to get the other Prophets to sound like I want them. The rev 4 might be limited in terms of options, but it also feels like I don't have to do anything to get it to make me say "whoa" about how good a patch sounds. In fact, it's so easy the synthesist in me almost feels like it's cheating.

I'm looking forward to a P10 in a few months.  For me, the ranking is difficult because I'd have to categorize by the type of sound.  For example, Gary Neuman Vox Humana type sounds, and certain kinds of strings/pads sound best coming out of the Rev2.  Crisp digital sounds come out of the P12 that crush the Rev2, but the Rev2 is much better at warmth than the P12.  etc.   Also for a fair comparison it is good to test the Rev2 dry on the synth and with plugin FX, and A/B that against another synth dry but with same plugin FX settings.  The Rev2 is at a bit of a disadvantage against the P6 and OB-6 when utilizing all onboard features.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »
My main criteria is always what inspires me the most. The only hard part was not swapping spots between the P6 and PX given the current situation. I held onto the P6 for the longest; although after now owning the P10, the P6 has lost some of its prior luster retrospectively.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
hopefully Sequential Will come out with modules of both the P5 and P10 in the near future. If they do I may pick up one of them, But for now, my Rev 2 has all the features and synthesis capabilities that I need that are lacking on the Rev 4. However, that CEM filter on the Rev 4… Wow! just wow! I wish my Rev 2 had the same filter set as the Rev 4. I like how on the Rev 4 you can switch between the Curtis filter and the CEM filters. I like the sound of both, but it would be nice to be able to choose. I still like the P6 because of the high pass filter, And it would be nice to see a synthesizer with all three.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 02:55:59 AM »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 is a beast of sound... way more flexible than you think thanks to amazing tone, filters, polymod that ACTUALLY works nicely with the sound.

I hated the 08/rev 2 and was completely unimpressed with my Prophet 6 (both gone), the OB-6 was better but even that was flat next to the Prophet 10 R4 so it has gone too... (Prologue 16 took its place for 12db non bandpass stuff and sounds great and has 16 voices!).

Never buy a a rev2/08.. I've owned close to 100 synths in my time and the rev 2 was the most underwhelming 'analog' synth, even next to many old DCOs (JX-3P, Juno etc) I've owned. It would have been ok if a digital synth but as analog one it fails at its basic premise (tone)
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 02:58:33 AM »

The Prophet 6 is NOT the Prophet 5/10 Rev 4. Understand that and the world will be a lot happier and easier place. The P6 I had was really poor, the rev 2 even poorer... the Prophet 10 on have now is in a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE tone wise.

Take it from people who've actually owned, used and recorded these things instead of looking at basically USELESS YT videos where you can make even a soft synth match a decent analog with enough work... that is NOT how they are in reality.

P6 and Rev 2 are the runts of the DSI litter. OB-6 and Rev 4 Prophets are the greats, and Prophet 10 rev 4 is the king - tone wise and build/looks wise.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »

The Prophet 6 is NOT the Prophet 5/10 Rev 4. Understand that and the world will be a lot happier and easier place. The P6 I had was really poor, the rev 2 even poorer... the Prophet 10 on have now is in a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE tone wise.

Take it from people who've actually owned, used and recorded these things instead of looking at basically USELESS YT videos where you can make even a soft synth match a decent analog with enough work... that is NOT how they are in reality.

P6 and Rev 2 are the runts of the DSI litter. OB-6 and Rev 4 Prophets are the greats, and Prophet 10 rev 4 is the king - tone wise and build/looks wise.

I can certainly appreciate and relate to your passion for the Rev4, I love mine as well.  But as a current owner of P10,P6,OB6,Rev2 and P12 I think the dogmatism here may be selling the Rev2 and P6 a little short -- perhaps not for the music you want to make, but in the broader scheme of things.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »

I can certainly appreciate and relate to your passion for the Rev4, I love mine as well.  But as a current owner of P10,P6,OB6,Rev2 and P12 I think the dogmatism here may be selling the Rev2 and P6 a little short -- perhaps not for the music you want to make, but in the broader scheme of things.

I sold a P6 to offset the cost of the new P5. I've been a 5 fan since the dawn of time and it's always been my fav synth, period. The new version only confirms this. But the P5 has deepened my appreciation for the Prophet 6. I miss mine and want it beside the 5. Sometimes the egg makes the chicken appreciate the mirror all the more!

LPF83

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »

I sold a P6 to offset the cost of the new P5. I've been a 5 fan since the dawn of time and it's always been my fav synth, period. The new version only confirms this. But the P5 has deepened my appreciation for the Prophet 6. I miss mine and want it beside the 5. Sometimes the egg makes the chicken appreciate the mirror all the more!

Not long ago, I threw together a poly sound to do the synth lead on Boys of Summer by Don Henley (which is a pretty easy sound to do, but I soon thereafter became obsessed with doing a perfect replica).  Any poly can do this sound, but I found the end results to be the best on Rev2, then P6, then P10 (given the same amount of time tweaking).   I think a DX7 might have been used on the original track, so I guess it makes sense.  Point being, every synth has their strengths and no synth is the best at everything.  I think Dave does a good job with his product alignment strategy.