Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question

LPF83

Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question
« on: November 07, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »
For those with a P10, do you find you're able to effectively utilize the extra voices?  I've watched a couple of videos where it was hinted that "5 is enough" with the richness of the voices on the Rev4.  I'm trying to figure out if I will want the extra polyphony of the P10 or be constantly looking for ways to tame it, cut release times, etc?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Qwave

Re: Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »
I often play an octave bass with the left and chords with the right. On a five voice synth, this would cause all voices to be cut in their release when a new key is triggered. So the ten voice Prophet offers me long uncut releases whenever I would like to have them. I actually use the sustain pedal in the Release mode with the Release/Hold switch being of. So only long releases as long as I keep the sustain pedal down. And I let the sustain pedal and the releases go, when I play a non matching chord that would causes unwanted dissonant releases.
keep on turning these knobs

S_A_P

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
5 is not enough for me, 6 is adequate, 8 is about the most I need, and 10 is great because there is no greater luxury than having more than enough power. As QWave mentioned, I like octave bass, or will play some 5ths or some other style that would reduce my ability to play 4 key chords up top.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
My P10 arrived today and I was asking myself the same question.  Until (unsurprisingly) I hit some of the presets with longer release times, at which point I knew I made the right call.

With that said, if you're able to spend well over $3000 on an uber-synth why not go up an extra $500 to get the 10 voices?  I saw this as a long-term purchase for an endgame synth, and when framed that way the extra money was insignificant.

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:24:24 AM »
I have the 10 and occasionally wouldn't mind having two more voices for the long stuff (Pym hint, OB-12 rev 2?). but 10 voices is fine for most work. Only having five voices is why I never bought a P5 rev 1, 2 or 3 for the last 40 years.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 12:32:18 AM »
- If 5 voices has been enough to all great records and performances I heard it is good enough to me.

- I don't see the idea to play octave bass with a synth as it decrease the great mid tone with 6 dB and makes it hard to fit the mix.

- In my world left (or right some times) hand is better to, more or less, continuously use the wheels and knobs such the filter, volume, mod wheel and pitch wheel to bring life and dynamic to the other hand.

- Voices is no problem today when stacking tracks easily can be made without limits.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
Gotta be 10 voice for me. 6 voice is my absolute minimum, it's just how I  work. And no, for recording you can work with 4 voice etc, and don't always 'need' bass notes with the left hand, understood.. esp if you've got a real bass guitar doing that ;).. however just as an instrument to enjoy without feeling too limited the Prophet 10 is awesome. All that Prophet 5 goodness but in a 10 voice! I currently have a Prologue 16 and love having that much polyphony in a VCO analog synth. The Prophet 10 comes close with 10 voices and is one of very very few genuine VCO polys that have more than 8 voices. So it's in a different league now.

Also if we think about it, being a 'restricted on features' re-issue/revision that hasn't gone crazy, the genuine power update to the rev 4 is the double polyphony. Like the P10 in the 80s tried to do but failed due to heat issues and then due to being a cumbersome double manual beast that wasn't exactly sexy/desirable.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 - 2020 is to me the ultimate Prophet. 5 Voices was also offputting to me for many years regardless of what old bands managed to coax from those limits. 10 Voice is a nice amount (like my old AN1x which was a VA based on the Prophet 5) I always found 10 perfectly manageable and more than enough when you wanted longer releases without note stealing.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)