The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question

LPF83

Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question
« on: November 07, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »
For those with a P10, do you find you're able to effectively utilize the extra voices?  I've watched a couple of videos where it was hinted that "5 is enough" with the richness of the voices on the Rev4.  I'm trying to figure out if I will want the extra polyphony of the P10 or be constantly looking for ways to tame it, cut release times, etc?
Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 10.5.

Re: Prophet 10 owners - Voicing question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »
I often play an octave bass with the left and chords with the right. On a five voice synth, this would cause all voices to be cut in their release when a new key is triggered. So the ten voice Prophet offers me long uncut releases whenever I would like to have them. I actually use the sustain pedal in the Release mode with the Release/Hold switch being of. So only long releases as long as I keep the sustain pedal down. And I let the sustain pedal and the releases go, when I play a non matching chord that would causes unwanted dissonant releases.
keep on turning these knobs

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
5 is not enough for me, 6 is adequate, 8 is about the most I need, and 10 is great because there is no greater luxury than having more than enough power. As QWave mentioned, I like octave bass, or will play some 5ths or some other style that would reduce my ability to play 4 key chords up top.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
My P10 arrived today and I was asking myself the same question.  Until (unsurprisingly) I hit some of the presets with longer release times, at which point I knew I made the right call.

With that said, if you're able to spend well over $3000 on an uber-synth why not go up an extra $500 to get the 10 voices?  I saw this as a long-term purchase for an endgame synth, and when framed that way the extra money was insignificant.