Wood Coloration

Re: Wood Coloration
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
Got it last week. I love the sound and the look  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:59:39 AM by taichber »

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
Got it last week. I love the sound and the look  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Niiiice !   8)

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2021, 03:58:49 AM »
Here is mine... I have a little blonde streak over the lower split (kinda hard to see from the sun glare). Personally, I like it.  8)

Korg Mono/Poly, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Buchla Music Easel

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2022, 04:40:02 AM »
Hi all

I’d like to stain the wood on my p10 as it’s impossible to find one with decent wood in the UK it seems.

I can see how the wood comes apart on all but the lower front panel strip underneath the keys. Is it easy to get that part out? Does anyone have any instructions please?

Many thanks

Simon

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2023, 08:30:04 AM »
Here is mine... I have a little blonde streak over the lower split (kinda hard to see from the sun glare). Personally, I like it.  8)
That's a beauty... Nothing better than a Prophet crossbred with a blonde... :)

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2023, 01:10:35 PM »
Here we go
I think it’s beautiful! I have one with a “strange” side panel (if you have look at my profile picture you can see it)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:28:38 PM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2023, 01:20:35 PM »
Hey folks, juste received my unit couple days ago. Can't say I'm too pleased with the front wood panel. Very strong discoloration from left to right and a big old knot. After seeing so many other beautiful units out there, I'm considering returning mine, what do you guys think?

Just wonderful! Really!

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2023, 12:06:56 PM »
Just got my Prophet 10 about an hour ago. Wood is pretty dull and light colored, but the grain is nice so I would likely stain it, BUT part of one of the side pieces is really off from the rest of the unit and stands out prominently because it has almost no color and no grain. Looking for a little feedback here because I really don't want to ship this thing back, but it I'm having a hard time convincing myself this looks ok.

LPF83

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2023, 12:38:45 PM »
Just got my Prophet 10 about an hour ago. Wood is pretty dull and light colored, but the grain is nice so I would likely stain it, BUT part of one of the side pieces is really off from the rest of the unit and stands out prominently because it has almost no color and no grain. Looking for a little feedback here because I really don't want to ship this thing back, but it I'm having a hard time convincing myself this looks ok.

Personally I think it looks kind of cool/unique.  But I'm of the opinion that having gear that inspires us is important, so if the looks bother you, I would find a way to remedy the situation one way or another (whether that's staining it, sending it back for another unit, or deciding you like how it looks).  If it doesn't invite you to sit down and create music you won't get the most out of it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2023, 04:08:43 PM »
Wow - I think all of the wood looks amazing including the side panel. I would be absolutely happy with it as it is.
I have a P5 and the left side looks completely different from the rest (shown in my profile picture)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:23:44 PM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2023, 04:21:39 PM »
Personally I think it looks kind of cool/unique.  But I'm of the opinion that having gear that inspires us is important, so if the looks bother you, I would find a way to remedy the situation one way or another (whether that's staining it, sending it back for another unit, or deciding you like how it looks).  If it doesn't invite you to sit down and create music you won't get the most out of it.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, and I do generally agree with what you're saying. To be clear, it wouldn't make any difference to me creatively if all the wood bits were made of warped particle board because I bought this amazing thing for its sound.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect appearance to match performance at this price. If I bought an expensive sports car that came with a fender painted in a different color than the rest of the car, it would have zero impact on the way I felt when driving the car, but I would certainly expect the issue to be corrected because I paid for function and form, not just function.

Honestly, now that I've had some time to think about it, the most likely outcome here is that I will just make my own custom end pieces for my Prophet. This actually sounds like a fun project, and it should add another layer of intimacy to our burgeoning relationship.

This is my Prophet. There are many like it, but this one is mine :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:59:51 PM by MonkeyJamz »

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2023, 04:35:45 PM »
Wow - I think all of the wood looks amazing including the side panel. I would be absolutely happy with it as it is.
I have a P5 and the left side looks completely different from the rest (shown in my profile picture)

Well thanks, waxdoctor. I think your side piece looks quite attractive :-* I appreciate the perspective check.

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2023, 02:55:56 AM »
Well thanks, waxdoctor. I think your side piece looks quite attractive :-* I appreciate the perspective check.
Well, thank you too, MonkeyJamz :)
I always liked the wood structure of my side panel, but it did not fit to rest, I thought. But every day I am happier that it is like it is. Actually, I am a fan of it. The beauty of nature...
I hope you'll find yourself in the same "process". Enjoy! 
I also like what @LPF83 said about it very much...   

chysn

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2023, 07:02:04 AM »
As a musical instrument retailer from way back in the day, I know that wood figuring can be an important subject for musicians. It's a big factor in guitar choice--whether quilted or flamed or birds-eye--not to mention drums, stringed instruments, woodwinds.

What I learned is that it's not sufficient to say that "all wood figuring is imperfect and beautiful." It's more accurate to say that "all wood figuring will be loved by someone." A guitar's wood was never so weird that it sat on display forever, even when it was passed up by a lot of buyers first.

Now we buy synths online, or directly from the maker, with no opportunity to select our wood figuring. I lucked out on my Prophet 5, but it's easy to see how there'd be disappointment when figuring doesn't match personal preference. There shouldn't be risk involved when buying an instrument with wood. But I'm not sure what the solution would be, other than buyers insisting on generous exchange policies and better local dealer support from manufacturers.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

g3o2

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2023, 07:44:45 AM »
It is the same with furniture: what you see in the showroom won’t be what will be delivered to your home, unless you can buy the actual showroom model with its dents and scratches.

In the end, it is just a first world problem and the safest way to get the pattern that you want is to buy second-hand.

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »
I ordered my P5 from a shop that didn’t yet have any in stock. They assured me they’d send pics of the next batch that came in so that I might choose based on wood pattern. The expected arrival date came and went and when a nearby shop ended up with  a P5 that someone else had ordered but not picked up, I was able to grab that one at a discounted price, but sight unseen. Mine indeed is lovely but it’s funny how important it seemed to get a “good one,” right?

Definitely a first-world problem, but for many of us, the Prophet 5 synth is a special machine, one of the most beautiful instruments. Fair enough we might wish for the classic look of such a classic instrument!

g3o2

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2023, 01:10:13 PM »
I have practically circumvented the problem by going for the desktop version. Yes, I’m missing out on a wonderful piece of furniture but not on the sound.

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2023, 07:41:13 AM »
If you are planning to make your own side panels, I suppose you could try and swap the cheeks around, left/right, inside/out. There might be a cleaner grain on the inside of the panel, I figure you'd need to countersink the holes a little.
Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 07:44:24 AM by Catchthehare »

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2023, 07:30:26 PM »

I just looked at yours again (by accident) and it's just wow - I think it's really beautiful and to echo your words "quite attractive" (please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you, it's just my taste and I really love the looks, really :) )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 07:33:03 PM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2023, 04:01:41 AM »
The wood on my P10 s/n 76 was a bit on the light side for me and kind of dry looking, so while I was at the cap replacement I pulled all the wood components and stained them darker.

I used Minwax English Chestnut followed by a liberal application of Johnson's Paste Wax as a finish coat. Turned out very nice.

Sorry, don't have a "before" photo (I'm bad about things like that) but attached is the "after". Kind of hard to get even lighting in the studio (and no polarizing filter for the camera) but you get the idea.

If the internet had existed in 1978, the music industry would have missed out the prophet entirely.  I mean...think of the albums we'd have missed out on if Paul McCartney was sitting around talking to Steve Winwood about whose wood was prettier...loll.
  I can't believe you didn't take Even One picture of your synth before.... :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 04:04:31 AM by 558 »
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.