Wood Coloration

REMIX

• A legend in my own mind
Re: Wood Coloration
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 09:32:45 PM »
The wood on my P10 s/n 76 was a bit on the light side for me and kind of dry looking, so while I was at the cap replacement I pulled all the wood components and stained them darker.

I used Minwax English Chestnut followed by a liberal application of Johnson's Paste Wax as a finish coat. Turned out very nice.

Sorry, don't have a "before" photo (I'm bad about things like that) but attached is the "after". Kind of hard to get even lighting in the studio (and no polarizing filter for the camera) but you get the idea.

Just curious if you sanded it first, or just hit it with Minwax. I'd be inclined to do this if mine is too light..I have one incoming this week.
Prophet 5v4, Iridium, AN1X, Jupiter 8, Juno 60, Juno 106, OB-6, Virus kB, D50, Alpha Juno 1, Pro One, ESQ1, JX-8P, OP-1, DX7, CZ-1, JP8000, M1, TR808, RD8, TD3, DFAM, System 8

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:01 AM »
When I contacted support and offered to purchase a new set of wood for mine, so long as it closely resembles walnut, at first they said okay, then I got a second email saying, the manager kiboshed it and won’t let me purchase an additional kit because the supply is meant for the synths in production. Which makes sense, sort of. So perhaps when the production is levelled out they can allow me to purchase something that looks “better”

Same here. That is exactly what makes me feel that this is not the Support I was expecting.

For me (mine) it is not "within tolerance" and at least I would have expected they offer to buy a better set.

It is a real shame.

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2021, 05:38:15 AM »
Hey folks, juste received my unit couple days ago. Can't say I'm too pleased with the front wood panel. Very strong discoloration from left to right and a big old knot. After seeing so many other beautiful units out there, I'm considering returning mine, what do you guys think?

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
Hey folks, juste received my unit couple days ago. Can't say I'm too pleased with the front wood panel. Very strong discoloration from left to right and a big old knot. After seeing so many other beautiful units out there, I'm considering returning mine, what do you guys think?

I would tend to agree with you. I think that they could have selected a slightly better-looking piece of wood, especially for the top of the synth. As for returning it based on that, I personally would not. It makes it unique, like every Prophet 5 out there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:32:51 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »

I would tend to agree with you. I think that they could have selected a slightly better-looking piece of wood, especially for the top of the synth. As for returning it based on that, I personally would not. It makes it unique, like every Prophet 5 out there.
[/quote]

Totally agree. That wood is the "fingerprint" / DNA of your Prophet and unique. Better than serial number if gets stolen ...
Take a look at my P-5 rev.2 and the "terrible" wood .....   I LOVE IT   :)
I think you get used to it and eventually love yours to ....

Cheers !

1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

LPF83

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
Attaching a photo of Rick Wakeman's Prophet 5 on Reverb just to preserve the visual after the synth is sold and the ad is gone.

My point in attaching the image... wood variation is nothing new, a lot of "famous" Prophet 5s had extra character.  Recently got my P10 and I'm very happy with the wood grain and staining.  It has a bit of character on the thin piece at the top, similar to the "blotchy" effect you can see at the very top thin piece in that photo...  but overall its gorgeous and I like it.

What strikes me about the Rev4 is it draws me to it, and inspires me to create.  I realized as I was waiting on the delivery guy to drop it off, I had a certain anticipation I had not felt since back in the 80's when I was a still a teen and my first synth was being delivered that day.  I probably won't be able to pull myself away from it this weekend.

Variations in wood are cool... If yours is having the inspirational effect on you I just mentioned, I would keep it.  No doubt the tone is amazing, but if anything including the appearance is giving a vibe that puts you off I would send it back.. that's just me.  There has to be a connection between me and the instrument for it all to work.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:21:16 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2021, 08:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. It’s a really tough decision as I’ve waited for my P5R4 for months and sending it back isn’t a light task.

I wanna of course state that the overall build quality, the UI and the sound absolutely matches my expectations. I feel very connected to the instrument that is not the issue.

That said, visuals matter, especially at this price point and although I wouldn’t consider my copy heinous or anything, let’s just say it is disappointing and bothers me on a aesthetic level.

It’s just that main front wood panel, the sides and back are fine. Should I bother opening a ticket with Sequential? I mean I’d be fine keeping it if they’d provide me with a replacement wood panel but I get the feeling from this thread I’m going to get declined!

Another option would be taking the matter in my own hands by applying some type of wood treatment like the OP in this thread did but I’m kinda scared I’ll mess up the finish tbh! Do you guys think it is possible to even out the dark/light portions of the wood panel and if so how would you go about it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:02:10 PM by _xanax »

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2021, 09:22:59 PM »

Totally agree. That wood is the "fingerprint" / DNA of your Prophet and unique. Better than serial number if gets stolen ...
Take a look at my P-5 rev.2 and the "terrible" wood .....   I LOVE IT   :)
I think you get used to it and eventually love yours to ....

Cheers !
[/quote]

FWIW both your P5R2 & P10R4 look great if not stunning to my eyes.

Wood grain is by nature imperfect and I have no issue with stains and busy character. I also own a Minimoog so I’m no stranger to wood casings on synths. But my P5R4 front panel goes from dark brown with busy grain patterns to extremely light with hardly no grain right in the logo area. It’s frankly awkward and off-putting visually IMO.  :-\

LPF83

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2021, 04:57:33 AM »
Question about the "fraying" around the logo... is that a plastic seal on top of the logo that peels off? 

This is what I thought it was initially on mine, but looking further, if it is, it doesn't want to come off easily and I didn't want to disturb it if I need to remove the fraying some other way.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2021, 05:24:15 AM »
Question about the "fraying" around the logo... is that a plastic seal on top of the logo that peels off? 

This is what I thought it was initially on mine, but looking further, if it is, it doesn't want to come off easily and I didn't want to disturb it if I need to remove the fraying some other way.

Yes, it´s the protective plastic film. Try to peel it off starting in one corner with you fingernail or a thin plectrum.
Do NOT use any sharp metal objects !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:27:18 AM by HockeBocke »
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

LPF83

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2021, 07:04:34 AM »

Yes, it´s the protective plastic film. Try to peel it off starting in one corner with you fingernail or a thin plectrum.
Do NOT use any sharp metal objects !

Cheers !

Thank you!  It came right off once I got a bit more diligent (shame on me for keeping fingernails too short).  I don't recall the film on the P6 being that stubborn, was afraid I might scratch something that wasn't meant to be scratched.

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:09 PM »
Talking about all this wood color and what not, made me want to share this link with everyone for a post I made about synth panels. I don’t mean to hijack this thread but perhaps anyone interested after seeing my work can let me know if they want a custom walnut trim set for the p5/10

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4910.0.html
Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2021, 05:41:03 AM »
I might get a P10, but I would like to stain the wood. I know the sides are removed easily, but how about the front and back piece? Are they glued to the metal chassis, or are there screws on the inside so you can remove all wood without problems?

ddp

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
I regret commenting about my Rev2 side panels now.  I have a new P10 and I like it, it sounds fantastic and is fun to play.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2021, 10:13:02 AM »
I regret commenting about my Rev2 side panels now.  I have a new P10 and I like it, it sounds fantastic and is fun to play.

Are we to understand that you're not entirely satisfied with the wood finish on your new P10 compared to the wood side panels of your REV2?

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »

Are we to understand that you're not entirely satisfied with the wood finish on your new P10 compared to the wood side panels of your REV2?

I too am interested to see if recent buyers are still experiencing any issues with the wood of the Rev4?

I had reservations about wood coloring based on some of the forum feedback, but when mine arrived, I was very pleased with grain pattern, stain color (dark which is what I wanted) and consistency of stain application.  Couldn't be more perfect IMO. 

My initial hunch was that forum feedback was heard, and tweaks made at manufacturing sometime before the batch my unit was in was produced. 

I do still think the two-tone ones and the lighter colored ones look cool though, and character on a synth like this is a good thing.

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2021, 02:33:56 PM »

I too am interested to see if recent buyers are still experiencing any issues with the wood of the Rev4?

I had reservations about wood coloring based on some of the forum feedback, but when mine arrived, I was very pleased with grain pattern, stain color (dark which is what I wanted) and consistency of stain application.  Couldn't be more perfect IMO. 

My initial hunch was that forum feedback was heard, and tweaks made at manufacturing sometime before the batch my unit was in was produced. 

I do still think the two-tone ones and the lighter colored ones look cool though, and character on a synth like this is a good thing.

Mine has a lovely grain. The wood is a bit more matte than I was expecting, and certainly different from our rev 3, which is on the rack directly above.

LPF83

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »

Mine has a lovely grain. The wood is a bit more matte than I was expecting, and certainly different from our rev 3, which is on the rack directly above.

Before I learned on this forum I wasn't aware, but walnut lightens with age unlike most woods..  so it's fitting that the Rev3 would be a lighter tone.

jok3r

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »

It looks fabulous. As the rest of this room ;-)

I'm waiting for you doing a song with it ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2021, 04:59:49 PM »

It looks fabulous. As the rest of this room ;-)

I'm waiting for you doing a song with it ;-)

Thanks, jok3r!
We've reconfigured things again and now my main working room is the office. Much cosier, and a more minimal setup, even if the acoustics are in need of immediate work! I drag a laptop out to the bigger room if I need to record the other synths...