Looking for testers for the KnobKraft Orm free sysex librarian for the Prophet 5

kris

Sorry for the delay. My OB died a PSU death and is at the menders. Will be on to it when it returns ...

Stephen
Oh, sorry to hear! Keep fingers crossed it's not expensive! Are you on factory MIDI or Encore Kit?
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

kris

This is working great for me on my P10 on Windows 10.  Thank you very much!

If you are planning to continue to develop it, a way to reorganize the patches would be amazing.  Thanks again for this great gift.
Thank you! Yes, classical bank management is planned for V2.0, depending on how long this lockdown will drag on there is a change I might get to do that soon... but first there are many smaller features coming which help broaden the device base.

If all devices would be as logical and orthogonal as Sequential's, I would long be done ;-)
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

Hi from munich,
I recently tried to go to the newest version of Knobkraft Orm but it seems to loose the prophet 5 rev4 adaptation. The version 1.9. does work but trying the go to version 1.11.2 doesn't work. I clue how to fix this?
Thanks in advance

kris

Hi from munich,
I recently tried to go to the newest version of Knobkraft Orm but it seems to loose the prophet 5 rev4 adaptation. The version 1.9. does work but trying the go to version 1.11.2 doesn't work. I clue how to fix this?
Thanks in advance
Sorry seeing this only now - most likely you're on Mac and the Python version 3.8 is missing? From 1.10.0 on, you need Python 3.8 installed instead of Python 3.7 (it should give some mystic log messages with the command on how to install Python), else the adaptation mechanism doesn't work.

Sorry for that, I haven't wrapped my head around on how Macs would do installers which bring the right version with it, on Windows this should be a no-issue.

Somewhere here should be the 3.8 download, and no, 3.9 won't work, Python is a bit peculiar about compatibility:
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/

Sorry seeing this only now - most likely you're on Mac and the Python version 3.8 is missing? From 1.10.0 on, you need Python 3.8 installed instead of Python 3.7 (it should give some mystic log messages with the command on how to install Python), else the adaptation mechanism doesn't work.

Sorry for that, I haven't wrapped my head around on how Macs would do installers which bring the right version with it, on Windows this should be a no-issue.

Somewhere here should be the 3.8 download, and no, 3.9 won't work, Python is a bit peculiar about compatibility:
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded Python 3.8 and everything is up and working again. By the way, it would be great to be able to print a list of the sounds as they are organized in the banks.

kris

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded Python 3.8 and everything is up and working again. By the way, it would be great to be able to print a list of the sounds as they are organized in the banks.
Thank you, glad to hear that worked! I took a note of the feature request, completely valid with the upcoming bank management feature! Keep it coming ;-)

Thank you, glad to hear that worked! I took a note of the feature request, completely valid with the upcoming bank management feature! Keep it coming ;-)

Perhaps there might be a way to edit the patch names. At the moment only the sound tower editor seems the only way to edit the patch names

kris

Perhaps there might be a way to edit the patch names. At the moment only the sound tower editor seems the only way to edit the patch names
Ah, that's a bit of a hidden feature - you can change the name of the currently loaded patch, by pressing on the button that is the name of the patch (at the top of the window) :-)

Ah, that's a bit of a hidden feature - you can change the name of the currently loaded patch, by pressing on the button that is the name of the patch (at the top of the window) :-)

That´s great.  8) You made my day ;D

Hi Kris,

I started using this over the weekend. Thanks for making this available and putting in all the effort you have.

I encountered a few bugs (windows 10).

On a 2-screen setup, if the window is moved to screen two then the two or three leftmost buttons (import from synth) become non-responsive, they don’t change shade on mouse-over as they usually do.

When importing banks, the list of imports doesn’t update until you reboot the program.

If I import a single bank and then save it as a SysEx file, it defaults to bank 1, rather than preserving the bank number from which it was taken.

Had a few visual problems with drop-down menu items being squashed.

Some suggestions for feature improvements:

Would be good if it were possible to drag and drop patches within the window so that they could be easily written back to the synth in a new location.

Would be nice to control-click to select two patches to compare, rather than having two click two in succession (it is easy to forget which patch was clicked first if some time has passed).

Numbers on the tiles would help (corresponding to the Prophet’s own numbering of 5x8 would be good). This is especially the case of one has imported a bank and all patches are labelled “basic program” - it’s hard to use the compare tool in those instances.

Adding functions for “swap”, “overwrite”, “erase” and “copy” for the tiles would be a welcome addition.

Being able to write back to the synth directly in the app would be great.

Would be nice to be able to set a custom tile layout per page. That way users could arrange in an 8x5 grid per page to match up with the way the Prophet works. 

kris

I encountered a few bugs (windows 10).
Thank you for taking the time to write those down!. I'll carry them over to my work plan in github - a few of these are already fixed and will be in the next upcoming version, which is a bit of a bigger update as I started to work on the "lists" feature, which allows you do create lists of patches (also from multiple synths) and use drag and drop to quickly sort interesting patches that go well together for potential use in a song. This got me a bit sidetracked, with summer and all going on.

A few of these might be harded to fix as I am relying on the JUCE C++ library, and that might have a few problems with multi-screen setups :-(

On a 2-screen setup, if the window is moved to screen two then the two or three leftmost buttons (import from synth) become non-responsive, they don’t change shade on mouse-over as they usually do.
Noted. Might be hard to fix.

When importing banks, the list of imports doesn’t update until you reboot the program.
That'll be fixed with the next release!

If I import a single bank and then save it as a SysEx file, it defaults to bank 1, rather than preserving the bank number from which it was taken.
Good point! This could be synth adaptation specific, and I would expect it to keep it the original place as long as it isn't changed. This is for the Prophet 5 I presume?
Had a few visual problems with drop-down menu items being squashed.
A screenshot could help, or the specification of your resolution. The JUCE library again is struggling with multi-resolution setups, as am I :-)

Some suggestions for feature improvements:

Would be good if it were possible to drag and drop patches within the window so that they could be easily written back to the synth in a new location.

Would be nice to control-click to select two patches to compare, rather than having two click two in succession (it is easy to forget which patch was clicked first if some time has passed).

Numbers on the tiles would help (corresponding to the Prophet’s own numbering of 5x8 would be good). This is especially the case of one has imported a bank and all patches are labelled “basic program” - it’s hard to use the compare tool in those instances.

Adding functions for “swap”, “overwrite”, “erase” and “copy” for the tiles would be a welcome addition.

Being able to write back to the synth directly in the app would be great.

Would be nice to be able to set a custom tile layout per page. That way users could arrange in an 8x5 grid per page to match up with the way the Prophet works.
Very good! I will sort these functions into my lists - the next big update after the lists will be (I hope) the bank management feature, with banks being special types of lists that can be written back to the synth.

Hi again from munich,
again I tried to go to the newest version of Knobkraft Orm for Mac but I lost the prophet 5 rev4 adaptation. The version 1.11. did work again after going the python 3.8. Any clue how to fix this?
Thanks for the great work
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:37:57 AM by dr.sax »

kris

Just to leave this comment here, in case people find this via search: In the KnobKraft Orm, support for most synths is implemented as a little Python script for each synth. For this, the main software needs to use a Python installation. On Windows, I can ship Python in a matching version together with my application, but for macOS, this is way more complex and I rely on the fact that there is a correct Python version already installed on the mac.

Up until KnobKraft Orm version 1.13.x, I used Python 3.8. But there are no longer installers for macOS Python 3.8 on the python.org website, because it is quite dusted, so from version KnobKraft Orm 1.14 on, the Mac requires a Python 3.10 installation. It can easily be downloaded and installed from Python.org. Always watch out for warnings and errors in the log view of the KnobKraft software, it might give you hints on what is going wrong.

To give you an idea how fun that is for a software developer - the update to Python 3.10 broke support for older Windows 7 machines, which would no longer launch the software. So for Windows, I reverted back to Python 3.8.

Yes, I know, I could have used the Lua programming language instead of Python to avoid these problems, but I do like Python ;-)

(and Dr. Sax and I were able to resolve the issues with a subsequent update, just not here in this forum).

Sorry for the delay. My OB died a PSU death and is at the menders. Will be on to it when it returns ...

Stephen
Oh, sorry to hear! Keep fingers crossed it's not expensive! Are you on factory MIDI or Encore Kit?

She's back! It's always expensive ...

I'm on the factory kit.

Stephen