Patch change workflow

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
Patch change workflow
« on: November 01, 2020, 11:02:06 PM »
Hi all
I am looking for a simple way to select patches on REV-2 and OB-6 etc, ideally something that will allow me type recall a patch location when playing live. I have been manually arranging patches on the synths before hand which is ok but I would a more elegant solution.
No use of a  computer is essential.
Thank you

jok3r

Re: Patch change workflow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 12:50:20 AM »
Hi all
I am looking for a simple way to select patches on REV-2 and OB-6 etc, ideally something that will allow me type recall a patch location when playing live. I have been manually arranging patches on the synths before hand which is ok but I would a more elegant solution.
No use of a  computer is essential.
Thank you

What other gear do you use live? Is there something that can send Program/Bank Change messages per MIDI, like a master keyboard, a sequencer, a groovebox, etc.? This would be the way to go without using a computer...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi there, master keyboard might be a solution but I only use the OB6 and REV 2 usually, I was hoping for some sort of device like the old  Roland RC3

https://d278yjzsv5tla9.cloudfront.net/user_images2/182769_4589643.JPG

jok3r

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
Hi there, master keyboard might be a solution but I only use the OB6 and REV 2 usually, I was hoping for some sort of device like the old  Roland RC3

https://d278yjzsv5tla9.cloudfront.net/user_images2/182769_4589643.JPG

I was looking for such devices for a long time myself. Unfortunately I did not find anything that was still in production. It seems like nowadays you have to use the different kinds of master controllers. There are more than keyboards and a lot of them can be programmed to send Program and Bank Changes. I use a Korg Kronos as main keyboard in my life setup in a band context. The Kronos is an incredible master controller and orchestrates my other synth for me, when I switch to the next setup on the Kronos.

If I didn't have a workstation keyboard in my setup I would use my Launchpad Pro mk3 in user mode. I think I could program a user setup with the Components software, where every pad would send a different program change. There are other pad controller based solutions possible. I think most of them can be programmed to send program changes. You could look at some AKAI controllers for example.

Further possibilities: use a Digitakt or Octatrack from Elektron. They should both be able to send program changes on a per pattern basis. Perhaps you just happen to need a cool groove box for your setup?  ;D Other candidates in this category are the MPCs from AKAI.

Some people use pedal boards that are able to do this like a Behringer FCB 1010 ... but I don't have personal experience with that. I would prefer a Digitakt to this solution, to be honest. I like the Digitakt very much. It's a nice little groove box with superb possibilities and a pretty cool midi step sequencer, too. It could easily be the center piece of an all hardware setup, as many great DAWless jammers show on YouTube. For example you can look for Ehsan Gelsi on Youtube and see what he does with a Digitakt as main controller.

Well, the bad thing is: you will always get more than what you actually need. Perhaps you don't use the additional (main) features of any kind of device, so you spend a lot of money to no avail.
Good thing is: you will always get more than what you actually need. Perhaps you would have a lot of fun using a device like a Digitakt.

Perhaps there's someone out there who knows a about a simple program changer device. If there was such a thing, I would have interest, too. But it should at least be possible to send program changes on all 16 channels at once.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »

jok3r

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 12:51:46 AM »
Highly recommend. https://singularsound.com/product/midi-maestro/

This looks like my Behringer suggestion, just better ;-)

Is there a manual of this thing out there? I can't find one... there's just a quick start guide on the singular sound page...

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 07:06:39 AM »
The Morningstar Engineering controllers (MC3, MC6 and MC8) are wonderful; powerful but really easy to program. They actively field user input and develop new features based upon customer interaction and are amazingly responsive with fixes. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
Highly recommend. https://singularsound.com/product/midi-maestro/

This looks like my Behringer suggestion, just better ;-)

Is there a manual of this thing out there? I can't find one... there's just a quick start guide on the singular sound page...

I can't find any sadly. I'm considering getting one for my guitar pedals. I think it's edited entirely inside the app.