Vintage Knob for OB-6?

Re: Vintage Knob for OB-6?
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2021, 06:55:20 AM »
This sounds so cool on my OB6 I would love to see this on my Prophet rev2

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2021, 10:37:59 PM »
Just for the record, it worked flawlessly for me using Bome's "Send SX" utility (https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx) on Win10 and my RME UC's MIDI out.

After updating the OS, it is recommended to reset the global settings (hold button GLOBALS and press WRITE) but I was puzzled that this does not give any visual feedback, the only way to see whether it worked is to  change a global setting before the reset to see if it changed.

Also, I read that pressing "4" would toggle the setting when actually the buttons BANK SELECT and TENS SELECT are used for that. Took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working. So what worked for me was:

Hold BANK (check that the cursor appears on the 1st digit as if ready for entering the sound bank number) and while still holding it press GLOBALS. That puts you into the 3rd page of GLOBALS setings (both GLOBALS lights light up), which is not mentioned in the manual. Press "4" to select the setting to select between detune and vintage. Use the buttons BANK SELECT and TENS SELECT to toggle between the values. These settings are active immediately and do not require any saving (WRITE or similar).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:45:10 PM by LeadingMotive »

VE

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2021, 05:45:45 PM »
How do I activate the new Vintage mode once I've installed the latest firmware?
Oh, I got it.  Hold "bank" and then hit "globals".  This is a 3rd page of globals.  Press button "4".  This is Vintage on/off.  His the "select" button to toggle up to "on".

Sweet.
Thanks chipaudette, I don't understand why this info is not placed by the Sequential team on the topic where we can download the 1.6.6 beta version but anyway your message is here and so useful.

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 10:35:03 PM »
1) Upload went flawlessly, first time with MIDI-OX from Win10 over USB. 

2) This is a wonderful, tonally significant update.  It's like a magic, now all my patches sound better knob.

I think my favorite thing about Dave Smith's instruments is how well judged the controls are.  Every control has a useful control range.  The effect of the control is clearly audible.  The range produces useful sounds.  This OB-6 has just been a delight.  Easy to program, sounds great, and now, even better with a bit of "vintage" slop. 

The OB-6 is one of my simpler synths, but such a keeper.  It just sounds great.  Thanks for this update!

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
1) Upload went flawlessly, first time with MIDI-OX from Win10 over USB. 

2) This is a wonderful, tonally significant update.  It's like a magic, now all my patches sound better knob.

I think my favorite thing about Dave Smith's instruments is how well judged the controls are.  Every control has a useful control range.  The effect of the control is clearly audible.  The range produces useful sounds.  This OB-6 has just been a delight.  Easy to program, sounds great, and now, even better with a bit of "vintage" slop. 

The OB-6 is one of my simpler synths, but such a keeper.  It just sounds great.  Thanks for this update!

Agree with all of this. The update was simple and you really CAN hear the difference, made an already great sounding synth even better.  I get why Shoebridge went for two P6's instead of a P10. Not sure I would switch from the Ob6 to a new OBX (if Sequential does one) given how great this already sounds and the sequencer/effects, etc. it has.