Vintage Knob for OB-6?

Re: Vintage Knob for OB-6?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »
Macbook Pro, Catalina
Sysex Librarian

Tried:
-my regular Focusrite 8Pre (which have used to update my OB-6 before)
-craptastic Chinese made/ebay USB-MIDI device

-tried over pure USB
-tried USB to MIDI din
-tried MIDI din w/bootloader (as suggested by cbmd on Gearslutz)
-adjusted MIDI, USB MIDI, USB transfer speeds from 100% down to 20%
-redownloaded sysex file
-tried various combinations of settings

I've literally wasted half a day on this (about 16 times tried now). I wouldn't have bothered so much, but I am really happy about this update. The sound clips people are doing are incredible. I'm getting pretty bummed out right now. I don't have a PC to try (and really, I shouldn't have to).

I am still at the USB stage, slowing down the interface and adding 200ms for each block. With the P6 it went first trial, my OB-6 also never had a problem updating, until now. I will download the file again and then go down your list and go Midi if this doesn't work. I will report back.

For me, it is not a big deal, I am doing stuff next to it, like playing my P6!!  :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:59:59 PM by raffor »

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »
Nothing has worked for me yet, but using the bootloader has worked for a couple of people. Here is what was posted by Sequential on Gearslutz...I hope it will help you.

"Originally Posted by cbmd
I would try updating to the synth via the bootloader. Hold WRITE while powering on. An animation will be shown on one of the screens indicating that bootloader is active. Send the OS to the synth via the MIDI IN port (USB cannot be used in bootloader mode).

That should do it for ya!"

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2021, 01:06:59 PM »
I had all of the issues upgrading from 1.5.5, I wonder if most folks had 1.5.8 installed or are also going from 1.5.5?

I did finally get it to work using the bootloader mode as found by pfrf (above).

Hold "Write" while powering on and then try once more.

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2021, 01:14:13 PM »
Anyone have a breakdown on the "third row" of globals now? We know 4 is on/off for Vintage.

EDIT:
0: Master Pitchbend range from 1-96 semitones (default 2)
1: Voice Pitchbend range from 1-96 semitones (default 48)
2. Y-Axis Destination: Cutoff, PW1, PW2, PW12
3. Y-Axis Mode: Unipolar, Bipolar
4. Vintage On/Off
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:15:44 PM by lucasfackler »

pfrf

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »
I set some low buffers over here with MIDIOX, I'm waiting for this countdown...if it fails, I'm trying the bootloader method.
Which interface did you use with the bootloader method?

I used a Roland UM-One.  Cheap plastic but it has been really solid for me.  I got it to use with my iPad but I use it for everything now because it's just one simple cable.

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »
I just updated directly from the USB connected to my MacBook Pro, no need for a MIDI interface.

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 01:38:26 PM »
Nothing has worked for me yet, but using the bootloader has worked for a couple of people. Here is what was posted by Sequential on Gearslutz...I hope it will help you.

"Originally Posted by cbmd
I would try updating to the synth via the bootloader. Hold WRITE while powering on. An animation will be shown on one of the screens indicating that bootloader is active. Send the OS to the synth via the MIDI IN port (USB cannot be used in bootloader mode).

That should do it for ya!"

After downloading a new file I tried at normal speed and nothing. I went straight for the boot loader method and voila. I am good to vintage now. Used a simple MIO single Midi interface (old faithful) and went with full speed in.

Let me know if you need further info, working from a MacBook and updated from 1.5.8

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »
I did the update for my Prophet-6 and it worked the first time I tried. I'm trying to update my OB-6 now (same method, same gear) but it doesn't work. It counts from 999 to 1 but it stays on firmware 1.5.5. Very frustrating.....

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
I did the update for my Prophet-6 and it worked the first time I tried. I'm trying to update my OB-6 now (same method, same gear) but it doesn't work. It counts from 999 to 1 but it stays on firmware 1.5.5. Very frustrating.....

Same thing here, P6 was a blast and the OB6 didn't want to update. Don't waste your time, go directly to the boot loader method.

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »
Anyone have a breakdown on the "third row" of globals now? We know 4 is on/off for Vintage.

EDIT:
4. Vintage On/Off

Just curious, but i'm confused, what exactly is the Y-Axis (number 2, and 3) referring to?

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 02:34:50 PM »
Nevermind, I found it in the MPE Readme file.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »
Thanks, Sequential. My OB6 updated as hoped for, first time around, Sysex Lib and USB connection to a 5,1 MacPro.
Still trying to decide whether to use Vintage Mode. A lot of my patches already 'built in' some of that character.
Really enjoying the instrument. Thanks again.
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »

EDIT:
4. Vintage On/Off

Just curious, but i'm confused, what exactly is the Y-Axis (number 2, and 3) referring to?

some controllers offer a third axis of control (think poly AT but different). This says if your MPE controller does offer a third axis, to set it to CC74 (per voice). From there you can choose what you want to modulate. It's basically a polyphonic version of CC74 that's independent of polyphonic aftertouch
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 06:57:04 PM »
Made the update with MacOS via USB Midi using Sysex Librarian. No issue.
Made GLOBALS + WRITE

BUT

The synth was badly out of tune.
Made Globals + 0 but stucked at F22 for 3 Times
Reset the Temp Table with Globals + 3
Then the Temp calibration went OK

BUT

The synth is still out of tune in a weird way:
on the keyboard I play A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A, B
with oscillator at C0 (or C1) the OB6 plays something like
A1,A2,D,E,F,G,A,B

on C0 plays C0, on C1 plays A, on C4 plays C4

now it's late I have to turn it off, but there's something very wrong with tuning and I think it's related to the firmware update....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:59:02 PM by DaGeek »

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »
I wanted to put up a quick video demonstrating this awesome new feature.
https://youtu.be/eDMdKbTyI60
--shane

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 10:42:26 PM »
I haven't installed this new OS yet, but I fail to see the point of the "vintage" knob on an OB6, because from the get-go, Tom Oberheim insisted on leaving some instability in the VCOs by design which can clearly be heard even with the detune knob all the way down. Everything else will just be more detuning.

On a Prophet 6, or Prophet REV2 I could understand the appeal of a vintage knob, but on an OB6, not that much I don't think. But I could be wrong. It's happened before!  ;D

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LoboLives

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2021, 02:02:44 AM »
I haven't installed this new OS yet, but I fail to see the point of the "vintage" knob on an OB6, because from the get-go, Tom Oberheim insisted on leaving some instability in the VCOs by design which can clearly be heard even with the detune knob all the way down. Everything else will just be more detuning.

On a Prophet 6, or Prophet REV2 I could understand the appeal of a vintage knob, but on an OB6, not that much I don't think. But I could be wrong. It's happened before!  ;D

You realize its not just the frequency that becomes unstable with the "vintage mode"? It's instability in the envelopes, filter, frequency, everything really.

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2021, 02:51:05 AM »
Thanks Sequential! It sounds awesome, glad that new functions are being added!

LPF83

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2021, 04:52:25 AM »

My initial thought after trying it on both is that, on the P6, it brought some "unpredictable" characteristics to the sound that (to a very small extent) were already present in the OB6.   But, it magnifies those characteristics in the OB6 (which to many folks will either sound better, or they will just appreciate the nicety of having the option to take the sound there).

From the perspective of someone who owns both a P6 and OB6, I give kudos to Sequential on this one for simultaneous release on both synths, because I prefer feature parity between the two products.  I wouldn't want a third page of globals on one and not the other.  During music making workflow, I like not having to "rethink" everything as I move from synth to synth because it makes more efficient workflow, and is one reason I like some amount of common ground of user experience on Sequential gear.

But I agree, the vintage knob probably fills a greater functional gap on the P6 than it does the OB6.  I will consider it a major upgrade to the Rev2 if they add it there... it will be huge upgrade and an even more welcome addition on that synth!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:55:23 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2021, 05:40:11 AM »
The beta-version does not works for me, no countdown and a full buffer in Midi-ox, Ob-6 crashed on it. Fortunately I could reinstall 1.5.5, so I'll wait for the official version of 1.6.4