Vintage Knob for OB-6?

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Re: Vintage Knob for OB-6?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
I saw somebody ask at another forum and it made me wonder- after updating to the new OS, will I be able to choose whether to use the new vintage mode or the old detune mode?  Does the vintage mode replace detune altogether?  Does this update alter the sound of patches already saved that are using detune?

yes, there is a preference to choose existing or vintage
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 10:24:18 PM »
What a nice bonus! Thank you, Sequential! Now I love this synth even more than I already did. You guys are awesome.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »
How do I activate the new Vintage mode once I've installed the latest firmware?

Thanks! I was going to try thwacking the side of my OB6 to toggle it on/off with the accelerometer. Surely if I hit it hard enough the the character will change eventually 🤪

Oh, I got it.  Hold "bank" and then hit "globals".  This is a 3rd page of globals.  Press button "4".  This is Vintage on/off.  His the "select" button to toggle up to "on".

Sweet.

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 12:13:06 AM »
WOW!!! Thank you so much for this!

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 05:15:18 AM »
I saw somebody ask at another forum and it made me wonder- after updating to the new OS, will I be able to choose whether to use the new vintage mode or the old detune mode?  Does the vintage mode replace detune altogether?  Does this update alter the sound of patches already saved that are using detune?

The new "Vintage" behavior is switchable.  By default, it is off, which means that the  original "detune" functionality is what you continue to hear.  Should be no difference.  But, at the same time, you don't get to use the new "Vintage" functionality because it's turned off.

If you turn on the "Vintage" functionality via the new Globals page, it applies to all patches, both new and old; "Vintage" behavior replaces "Detune" behavior.  You can always go into the Globals menu to turn it off/on at will, but it is a global setting; it is not a per patch setting.

Chil

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Vintage mode of other Sequential synths, what exactly is different about it?

pfrf

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 07:44:35 AM »
There is a thread about the new vintage mode at GearSlutz in the electronic music section titled Prophet-6 & OB-6 "Vintage Knob" Thread.  (Sorry, couldn't get a link to work.)

Post #112 contains an audio file that demonstrates the difference.  The vintage mode does sound beautiful, at least on that one patch.

P.S. Thanks everybody for the replies.  I'm excited to load the new OS!  Now I'm off to learn about MPE...

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 08:27:48 AM »
Nice Sequential. Happy New Year to all at Sequential. Especially Pym! Thanks for this update!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:33:41 AM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »
There is a thread about the new vintage mode at GearSlutz in the electronic music section titled Prophet-6 & OB-6 "Vintage Knob" Thread.  (Sorry, couldn't get a link to work.)

Post #112 contains an audio file that demonstrates the difference.  The vintage mode does sound beautiful, at least on that one patch.

P.S. Thanks everybody for the replies.  I'm excited to load the new OS!  Now I'm off to learn about MPE...

Thanks.  I ended up getting a chance to install the update earlier than I was expecting, so I was able to pay with this first hand.  Good stuff, subtle, but a nice addition.

pfrf

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 11:12:37 AM »
Well I've been trying to update for three hours.  I have the 1.6.4 OS on my desktop, the instructions printed out, I follow them precisely.  I am using SysEx Librarian.  The update seems to go well, the countdown finishes, the OB-6 turns off briefly then turns on again and... 1.5.5 is loaded. 
I have one MIDI connection for my computer- Roland UM-One- so no other to try.
Any synth updates I've done before with this computer/SysEx Librarian/Roland, including updates for the OB-6, have been trouble free.

I'm defeated on this one.  Luckily I already like the OB-6 as is.

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 11:24:23 AM »
1.6.4 Beta won't take no matter what I try. I've used 2 different usb midi dongles and the OB-6 USB all with varying speeds from 19%-100%.  I get through the 999-0 but then immediately it reboots and remains 1.5.5. I'm on Catalina using SysEx Librarian. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Do we need to upgrade from the previous 1.5.8 Beta?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:44:51 AM by lucasfackler »

pfrf

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
I'm having the same issues.  I tried all transfer speeds as well, slower speeds just caused the whole thing to freeze up.  I really need to give up on this, I've already blown the whole morning!  If you find a solution, please post here.

Edit: We both use Macs.  I wonder if anyone using a Mac has been successful updating? 

Edit #2:  If you're thinking of trying to use Sysex Base on iPad to do this update, don't.  I just spent ten bucks to find out 1.6.4 won't "open in" Sysex Base for unknown reasons. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:03:21 PM by pfrf »

the8bitdeity

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 12:14:35 PM »
I updated from my Mac using Sysex Librarian. What MIDI interfaces are y'all using? Make sure your MIDI interface isn't filtering any Sysex.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »

With Sysex Lib / MacOS
I have 2 dongles that work fine with other gear.
iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out
OIBTECH 1-in 1-out (generic amazon)

I'm currently trying with a forgotten Windows 10 boot on my MacBook Air and an old Midiman 1x1, using MidiOX but I'm having memory issues at the moment.

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
I updated from my Mac using Sysex Librarian. What MIDI interfaces are y'all using? Make sure your MIDI interface isn't filtering any Sysex.

Which interface did you use and did you change any Sysex Lib settings?

pfrf

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 12:37:32 PM »
I got this information from something a Sequential employee posted at GS:

"I would try updating to the synth via the bootloader. Hold WRITE while powering on. An animation will be shown on one of the screens indicating that bootloader is active. Send the OS to the synth via the MIDI IN port (USB cannot be used in bootloader mode)."

There's an extra light show near the end of the process when updating this way, so don't touch the synth for a minute or two after you reach 000 on the countdown.

And it worked!

Whew!
Now I can properly say thank you so much and happy new year to the Sequential team!

the8bitdeity

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 12:39:01 PM »
I'm using a mioXL connected to the OB-6 over USB MIDI and just letting it rip at full speed, did it in 1 go with no issues.

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 12:41:33 PM »
I set some low buffers over here with MIDIOX, I'm waiting for this countdown...if it fails, I'm trying the bootloader method.
Which interface did you use with the bootloader method?

Jdoo

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »

Same here.  Updated fine from my Mac.  SysEx Librarian *did* freeze up after applying the update, but the update 'took' on my desktop OB-6.   

Thank you DSI!

Joe

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 12:55:10 PM »
Macbook Pro, Catalina
Sysex Librarian

Tried:
-my regular Focusrite 8Pre (which have used to update my OB-6 before)
-craptastic Chinese made/ebay USB-MIDI device

-tried over pure USB
-tried USB to MIDI din
-tried MIDI din w/bootloader (as suggested by cbmd on Gearslutz)
-adjusted MIDI, USB MIDI, USB transfer speeds from 100% down to 20%
-redownloaded sysex file
-tried various combinations of settings

I've literally wasted half a day on this (about 16 times tried now). I wouldn't have bothered so much, but I am really happy about this update. The sound clips people are doing are incredible. I'm getting pretty bummed out right now. I don't have a PC to try (and really, I shouldn't have to).

btw, trying to upgrade from 1.5.5
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:57:29 PM by Synthient Sound »