Wood alignment

LPF83

Wood alignment
« on: October 30, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »
In the video posted in this post....   https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4668.msg47700.html#msg47700

.... it looks like the wood is not properly aligned / overall workmanship looks shoddy (see upper left corner) compared to vintage P5.  Is this the way it is shipping, or is it because the video poster put his back together too carelessly after removing capacitors for the filter defect? 
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
Re: Wood alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »
I find it difficult to see what you're referring to in the video, but the way the wood retention inserts are constructed there is some leeway for wood alignment. On mine for instance, I could make it terribly misaligned or spot-on where you can run your finger cross wood component intersections and you can't feel the transition.

So, any misalignment can be corrected if it offends one's sense of build accuracy, on mine it can anyway.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »
I find it difficult to see what you're referring to in the video, but the way the wood retention inserts are constructed there is some leeway for wood alignment. On mine for instance, I could make it terribly misaligned or spot-on where you can run your finger cross wood component intersections and you can't feel the transition.

So, any misalignment can be corrected if it offends one's sense of build accuracy, on mine it can anyway.

I'm referring to the fact the lines on the upper left keyboard of the upper (rev4) keyboard, the joints don't appear flush compared to the one on the bottom.  Maybe it's partially due to the angle of the shot, or how the owner reassembled his unit after the capacitor fix?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 11:38:53 AM »
Ok, I'm seeing it now, I needed to blow it up the image on my little screen. :)

Yes, I can get that amount of misalignment on mine or make it disappear completely, it just requires some attention to detail. I'd say it was a hurried reassembly. Since you have the ability to align it with the (clever) design, you have to actually take the time to work with it a bit. Mine looks stellar, or I can make it look like the video.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Ok, I'm seeing it now, I needed to blow it up the image on my little screen. :)

Yes, I can get that amount of misalignment on mine or make it disappear completely, it just requires some attention to detail. I'd say it was a hurried reassembly. Since you have the ability to align it with the (clever) design, you have to actually take the time to work with it a bit. Mine looks stellar, or I can make it look like the video.

Thanks.. I'm relieved to hear that :)