Using OB-6 as midi keyboard and synth w/ sequencer

Using OB-6 as midi keyboard and synth w/ sequencer
« on: October 30, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »
I've been using an Elektron Digitakt as my core sequencer for a while now. I recently purchased an OB-6 (and LOVE it!) but have been struggling to fit it into my workflow.

I'd like to use the OB-6 (keys) as the primary midi keyboard for the digitakt (which I use to control other synths as well) but also be able to adjust parameters on the OB-6 while it's in this mode (being sequenced by the digitakt).

My initial idea was to run a midi out cord from the OB-6 -> Digitakt and a midi in cord from Digitakt -> OB-6 and turn off the keybed (using the setting 'Local Control: Off'). This solves my problem of the keys not triggering notes on the OB-6 BUT it also disables all parameters on the OB-6 so I can't adjust the sound at all as I'm playing.

Is there any other option/setting which allows me to not have the keybed trigger sounds on the OB-6 but still have access to the other knobs/buttons?

Alternatively - if anyone runs an OB-6 in an elektron setup, I'd love to hear ideas!

Note: I searched the forums and other sites but couldn't find an answer so this is my first post!

Re: Using OB-6 as midi keyboard and synth w/ sequencer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
I have a key command set up to turn midi thru on and off in my DAW. When I use the Rev2 as a controller (with local on) I am constantly toggling this setting for the very same reason. As of now, it's just the way Sequential's synths work with local on/off settings.

Look for a way to turn midi thru off in the Digitakt. If that's possible, you can leave local set to on in the OB-6 and toggle the midi thru setting instead. I know it's just exchanging one workflow distraction for another but in my case, hitting a key command is much faster than going into the globals on the OB. Especially when I don't want to leave the sweet spot in front of the monitors.

I really like the way Moog handled it with the Subs 37. You can turn local on/off separately for the keys, wheels and panel.

Re: Using OB-6 as midi keyboard and synth w/ sequencer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
+1 on this. Asked for the same thing in my recent feature requests post. Like you said, would be amazing to have a new "local knobs" mode for only sending keys midi but keeping the rest of the synth local.

Would make the OB-6 much more studio-friendly!  (shameless plug for my other feature request: having separate tx and rx midi channel settings ;D )
OB-6 | Roland JV-2080 | Yamaha DX7s | Roland R-8 | Alesis MMT-8