ISLA Instruments Caladan officially announced.

ISLA Instruments Caladan officially announced.
« on: June 28, 2023, 09:03:29 PM »
Brad of ISLA Instruments has confirmed their new synth...

Re: ISLA Instruments Caladan officially announced.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 12:04:40 PM »
Some more info from Brad...

Essentially what we have is a desktop synth that is completely customizable and modular and can blend multiple different synth engines if desired.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 12:05:17 PM »
In terms of on-board samples.....EMU Proteus legacy samples potentially right out of the gate.

blewis

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 03:46:59 PM »
That’s nuts. I thought it would only be 8 voices, but that convo! Whoa.

Some more info from Brad...

Essentially what we have is a desktop synth that is completely customizable and modular and can blend multiple different synth engines if desired.

blewis

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
On the downside, having a box full of different modules from different vendors could be a bag of bugs for a long time.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 04:29:43 PM »
On the downside, having a box full of different modules from different vendors could be a bag of bugs for a long time.

Even putting aside the potential testing/certification complexity of introducing third party modules, my own experience over many decades with electronics involving user-upgradeable hardware components is that they usually disappoint in the long-run.  I would love to see this particular synth prove me wrong, because I love the idea of it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 07:00:03 PM »
It’s the Synergy Amps of synthesis.
Genius!  If it works.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 08:36:34 PM »

Even putting aside the potential testing/certification complexity of introducing third party modules, my own experience over many decades with electronics involving user-upgradeable hardware components is that they usually disappoint in the long-run.  I would love to see this particular synth prove me wrong, because I love the idea of it.

I think the key to this is to see how the expansion boards (DSP And new filters) turn out for the S2400. They have really come a long way with the S2400. It went from essentially a SP1200 inspired clone to a nearly full fledged desktop sampling workstation. Polyphony expanded from 8 to 16 voices, more features constantly added and in addition to the traditional sample tracks, they included over 32 dedicated MIDI tracks with full polyphony. In fact, it’s become my dedicated sequencer now. Being one of the first to pre order I can say they are constantly upgrading and listening to feedback. I am hopeful for the Caladan.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »
Voice cards....

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 11:34:10 AM »

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 02:21:59 AM »
This is getting more and more interesting. MPE analogue in a small form factor… just what the doctor ordered.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |