Modal Cobalt 8

jg666

Modal Cobalt 8
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:27:04 AM »
Another new synth from Modal. At first I thought it was just a different coloured Argon8 but then saw the video

https://youtu.be/6rgr4iqofms

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

Re: Modal Cobalt 8
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »
Hot on the heels of the Andertons  video is a First Look video from Nick Batt

https://youtu.be/jgMvuYkYvz0

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
A really nice synth. Lovely sound and I'm told a really solidly built synth.

jg666

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »
Nick Batt has now done a full review...

https://youtu.be/2j_4kBfVMOw

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:42:44 PM »
Modal always shocks me with their lack of bi timbrality. For digital synths it seems like a bit of an oversight.

jg666

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
Indeed. It does seem a shame when for perhaps not a lot more money they could have done that. I suppose the reasonably low selling price of this (and the Argon) are one of the key selling points though :)

Edit - Now if they could combine the Cobalt and the Argon into one synth that has the 2 different engines able to run together to produce a bi timbral synth then that would be very interesting
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:10:52 AM by jg666 »

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »
Indeed. It does seem a shame when for perhaps not a lot more money they could have done that. I suppose the reasonably low selling price of this (and the Argon) are one of the key selling points though :)

That's the key.  The module is under $500 -- so it is competing in territory like the Minilogue module.  Allowing more than monotimbral would increase likely increase complexity across the board... maybe only impacting price by a couple of hundred bucks but that might put it outside the projected sales sweet spot.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »
Nice comparison from Starsky Carr.  Much prefer the sound of the Minilogue XD personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZ8giaxaJc
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »
Yes going on that demonstration, so do I.

I wish my first generation Minilogue sounded as good as the XD :)

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »

I always thought the first gen sounded good.  I have to admit though, the sequencer on the XD is one reason I got one.

jg666

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »

I always thought the first gen sounded good.  I have to admit though, the sequencer on the XD is one reason I got one.

It does sound good for certain types of sounds but really suffers when you turn up the resonance - the low end really suffers.

jg666

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 12:46:55 AM »
Saldy it appears that Modal Electronics has filed for insolvency and Administrators called in.

I don't own any Modal gear but always followed them with interest so I hope that something can be done.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/british-synth-company-modal-electronics-is-insolvent.html

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 04:26:51 AM »
Saldy it appears that Modal Electronics has filed for insolvency and Administrators called in.

I don't own any Modal gear but always followed them with interest so I hope that something can be done.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/british-synth-company-modal-electronics-is-insolvent.html

I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long.

It’s hard to take a company known for behemoth synths like the 002 and 008, and release the Argon and Cobalt.  You could hear the collective “Meh…” from Superbooth.  One you produce a synth at a certain a level of quality and capability, your customer base will expect you to maintain that level.  Anything less will be perceived as, well… less.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2023, 04:33:08 AM »

It’s hard to take a company known for behemoth synths like the 002 and 008, and release the Argon and Cobalt.  You could hear the collective “Meh…” from Superbooth.  One you produce a synth at a certain a level of quality and capability, your customer base will expect you to maintain that level.  Anything less will be perceived as, well… less.

Yes very true. I suppose also, when you are selling at their current price-points you have to sell in big numbers to balance the books and they obviously aren’t doing that. Probably a lot of people like myself who were tempted by the Argon and Cobalt but there just wasn’t that something special to make me buy it.

jg666

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 09:05:10 AM »
Modal have said that they are undergoing a restructuring and that all employees will remain with the company and all current synths will remain within their portfolio, with new ones to come.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2023, 09:51:56 AM »

I think the Cobalt 8 is very high quality, and extremely capable

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »

I think it was also not a great idea to do a Wavetable synth or virtual analog synth around the time actually analog synths and more versatile Wavetable synths were coming to the market. Modal’s seem to lack a distinctive voice.

The Carbon 8 actually feels like something they should have brought right out of the gate given that Phase distortion and other synthesis forms weren’t being explored by other brands.

jg666

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2023, 08:42:47 AM »
Sadly, in my post yesterday I spelled “sadly” wrong and it’s annoying me that I can’t edit it  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2023, 08:55:16 AM »

I think it was also not a great idea to do a Wavetable synth or virtual analog synth around the time actually analog synths and more versatile Wavetable synths were coming to the market. Modal’s seem to lack a distinctive voice.

A much more precise way to express my summation... "Meh"  ;D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |