Tuning /calibration

Tuning /calibration
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:20 AM »
Have my OB6 about three weeks now.  I've run the calibration as described in manual quite a few times over the last three weeks to give a sampling of room temperatures.  My room doesn't vary widely,  but after each power up/ warm up, I'm way out of tune.  The quick and simple calibration procedure resolves this for me, but seems like I should be past this phase of calibrating every time I switch on.

Anyone else?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Re: Tuning /calibration
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »
ive had it since launch day and ive been doing the calibration routine each time i have powered it up.

ive not powered it up in about 2 weeks now so i will power it up and see how it fares.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:21:18 PM »
replying to my reply.

i powered up the ob6 yesterday (as of this post writing) and it was in tune with both my juno 60 and jupiter 80. and it had not been powered up in  2-3 weeks prior to this.

before when i got it, yes it was not in tune until i did the calibration thingy sequence and then it would fall right in tune, so it seems this "learning" calibration procedure will eventually work.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
I think the key here is warm up.  I may have done my first few calibrations too soon. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:48:58 AM »
perhaps, however when i did power it up, and once i turned on the amps/speakers and un-muted the faders, i went to press some keys and the unit had been on perhaps one minute? loaded right into tune.

initially out of the box i would do as the manual states and wait a long while before calibrating, and i did that for about a week straight. after that time, however, there has not been a need to re-calibrate, so it seems that does work to acclimate the unit to its new digs... :)

AML

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:45:43 PM »
Is anyone still experiencing any tuning issues? I've had my OB6 for about 6 months now. Tuning was never an issue. Now after about 30 or so minutes of playing, my patches start detuning a little less than a semitone below the note I am playing. It almost sounds like an LFO or a slight pitch wheel bend (it's not either, I checked). I have calibrated this thing numerous times across many temperatures, which did not fix the problem. So I thought doing a factory reset would be a good indicator as to whether it was user error or something internal. Reset didn't fix the issue. Anyone encountering this still and found a fix? I'm emailing support after posting this. Figured response here may be a bit quicker. Thanks in advance.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
Is anyone still experiencing any tuning issues? I've had my OB6 for about 6 months now. Tuning was never an issue. Now after about 30 or so minutes of playing, my patches start detuning a little less than a semitone below the note I am playing. It almost sounds like an LFO or a slight pitch wheel bend (it's not either, I checked). I have calibrated this thing numerous times across many temperatures, which did not fix the problem. So I thought doing a factory reset would be a good indicator as to whether it was user error or something internal. Reset didn't fix the issue. Anyone encountering this still and found a fix? I'm emailing support after posting this. Figured response here may be a bit quicker. Thanks in advance.

I had this, turns out it was because I had an expression pedal plugged into the filter CV...no idea why it would do it, but stopped after I unplugged it.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »

AML,  I had a weird experience yesterday while performing a calibration.  It locked up with "F-11" showing in the display.  After  I let it sit for a while then I decided to turn it off (although the manual says not too during the calibration)- I found I had really had no choice.  This time I let it warm up like 20 minutes, then re did the cal procedure.  It worked no problem.

I've come to the conclusion that I this is a "bug" in my system.  My solution is that instrument needs warm up a while before doing anything.  And, yes. I need to perform a calibration nearly every time despite my closely controlled ambient temperature.  Otherwise, if I do not, it's way out of tune.   As long as this does not get worse, I have no issue with it and that's why I haven't contacted DSI directly.  Nor am I complaining really.  I guess I think of it in a similar vain to the analog vca instruments I have ;)  Although, I would hope that when I eventually load a new OS this problem will go away.   

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
The OB-6 does not need to warm up before performing a calibration.

The OB-6 has an internal temperature sensor which is used to write calibration table data for the oscillators and filters across a range of the instrument's operating temperature.

When the calibration is run, the temperature at the sensor is checked, and the resultant calibration data is stored in a table. Whenever the instrument returns to or is at this temperature, the specific calibration table which was written is referenced for tuning purposes.

As such, it is advised that you tune the synth when you notice that it is out of tune.  As a wide range of temperature calibrations are made, you should not need to continue to calibrate the synth.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:50:40 AM »
I would like to ask a question about how critical it is if a power outage had occurred during the calibration process.
My DSI OB-6 has been purchased in the beginning of September 2016.
During the 3+ weeks that I've been using it went through the calibration procedure every time the instrument was powered on.

Recently there may have been an incident when the power went off during the calibration process (can't tell you exactly, because the calibration procedure could have already been completed by the time the power outage happened).

I would like to receive a comprehensive reply from people that work at DSI as to how problematic this issue is.
The instrument seems to be in full working order and sounding as it was prior to the issue.

Of course there is the warning in the manual about not turning off the power during the calibration process, but the possible complications of this error are not explained and/or accentuated.

Please elaborate further as to:
1. How to determine whether a problem has occurred as a result of the power outage?
2. How problematic could it be for the instrument? Could it cause irreparable damage on the hardware level?
3. What can be done by the user to try to fix an error that could have happened due to the power outage?

These questions are rather important, because we do have occasional electricity blackouts in the area and I need to understand if it might be necessary to purchase a reserve power supply to prevent the OB-6 from malfunctioning.

On a side note, it would be much more convenient if you made a one login account across the board on the DSI website.
At the moment the user has to register separately on the main website, in the support section and on the forum.
Also there's an issue with registering in the support section: even after confirming login details via e-mail it doesn't recognize the registered username and password. Please fix this

Regards,
Dennis

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »

I have had exact the same problem. Bought in May, after 2 month the detuning begins, then from week to week it get more and more worse, in August not more playable. Although I calibrated referred to the manual. Maybe that is the problem, with every calibration it get more worse.
I returned the OB-6 to my dealer including mp3 demo-soundfiles to show the problem, but they have no idea whats wrong. Now I have my money back, but no OB-6   :'(  New strategy: I wait about 2 or 3 month and then buy an new one with higher SN, hoping they will fix the problem. Sorry for my bad english...
Regards
profimat

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:03 AM »
I have serial number 100 and dont have any issues with tuning. A higher number may not make a difference. You could have just had a faulty unit period. It happens.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »

I have this issue with mine as well. It is now unusable as it is a quarter / half note permanently off. I've had it for about 3 months. There has been more than just this tuning issue as well. I've had it completely go off a many notes at once. But the LFO sounding pitch change is there as well... I did reach out this week to DSI support and waiting for help on this. If anyone else has had issues here please post or if anyone has a solution.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »
Does updating the OS reset the tuning tables? I have found tuning whenever its a bit flat has improved mine.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Updating the OS does not reset the tuning tables.

Tuning whenever the unit is out of tune is the correct approach. Nothing is wrong with an OB-6 that needs frequent tuning. The tuning tables save a value for every 1 degree C, therefore there are a lot of tables to be filled to fully compensate for a  wide range of temperatures.

Mr. Beetr00t: A power outage alone is not going to damage your synth. Losing power in the middle of calibration will not cause an issue, the tuning routine will have only reached the oscillators and filters up to the power outage, but you can start the calibration process again when power returns. A power surge on the other hand can cause damage to any piece of electronics if it isn't properly protected. A surge protector/power conditioner will help for this.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 12:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Robot Heart

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
Mr. Heart thank you for your response.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
Hi everyone

Close stacked polyphony, my favourite, needs really perfect tuning.
So I timed my OB-6 calibration and it comes in at 45 seconds... bear in mind the Moog Slim Phatty takes around 150 minutes :0

45 seconds is no problem, at a pinch you could even re-calibrate mid-set, although i've settled for having OB calibration as part of my boot-up S.O.P.
Elektron OT, MPC 1000, DSI/Oberheim OB-6 Desktop, Moog Slim Phatty, Nord Drum 2

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
Just wanted to say that my room temperature fluctuates pretty wildly in the winter and I haven't had any problems yet. I ran the cal routine when I got the desktop, about a month ago, and last night was the first time I needed to run it again. Makes sense, it was colder in the room. Anyway, it worked perfectly and stayed in tune for the rest of the night and morning. I also have a Minimoog (original) and the Sub37. The Minimoog takes about an hour+ to become stable-ish. Even then you have to stay on top of it. The Sub37 seems to be doing fine.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:38:31 AM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »

Yes, exact same thing. It seemed to calm down after a month or two, but I didn't use it just now for a month or so and when I turned it back on, the issue is back. Serial #210.