looking for note stealing explanation

looking for note stealing explanation
« on: October 27, 2020, 09:10:42 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a question about note stealing or maybe sustain, but I'm trying to understand the behavior of some patches with respect to the sustain pedal on the Prophet 6.

If I hold down the sustain pedal on some patches, new notes (after the first 6) will not produce a sound. I'm trying to understand what causes that. Seems like such a simple thing, but I can't figure it out. An example is the factory patch 015 (electrosynthetic pno). Hold down the sustain pedal and play CDEFGA and then B and it does not sound unless I let up the sustain pedal. Without the sustain pedal held, I can play those notes and hold them and B will sound (up to at least 10 notes and then I run out of fingers :)

On the other hand, I can initialize a new patch and do the same experiment and the notes keep sounding. The new notes steal from some other note. What is the difference between these?

Re: looking for note stealing explanation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
You probably figured this out by now, but check Key mode under Misc parameters--Hold down KEY MODE and use the incr/dec select buttons next to the LCD display. There are 6 settings: Lo, Hi, Last, Lo-r, Hi-r,La-r. The "r" is for retrigger, which triggers the envelopes at every key press, which is what you're looking for.

Re: looking for note stealing explanation
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
You probably figured this out by now, but check Key mode under Misc parameters--Hold down KEY MODE and use the incr/dec select buttons next to the LCD display. There are 6 settings: Lo, Hi, Last, Lo-r, Hi-r,La-r. The "r" is for retrigger, which triggers the envelopes at every key press, which is what you're looking for.

I apologize for responding so late (nearly 2 months late). But you are absolutely correct. Thank you. Those are the settings I need/want. I thought I had tried that, but obviously had some kind of user failure (problem exists between keyboard and chair). I got side tracked and was doing pad things for various projects and wasn't running into the issue. I am just now playing with some "piano" style sounds where I have the bad habit of holding the sustain pedal down much too long. The "LAr" setting does make it behave the way I was hoping.

Thank you again!