Arpeggiator Scratchpad

LoboLives

Arpeggiator Scratchpad
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
This was a really nice feature on the Prophet 12. A customized arpeggiator that allowed you to create almost mini sequences that could be transposed. Any reason why it wasn’t ported over to the REV2 or PX?

LPF83

Re: Arpeggiator Scratchpad
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:50:58 AM »
This was a really nice feature on the Prophet 12. A customized arpeggiator that allowed you to create almost mini sequences that could be transposed. Any reason why it wasn’t ported over to the REV2 or PX?

You can accomplish same with the poly sequencer on the Rev2, it works similarly to the sequencer on the P6 and OB6.  I tend to not do this as much on the Rev2 as a matter of habit and what I use each synth for, but its there.

Often, using the sequencer this way is just a starting point.  I usually send the MIDI notes into the DAW for refinement and flexibility.

One feature I'd really enjoy on all of my Sequential synths would be the ability to vary the number of steps in real-time.  I'm able to do this on the Minilogue XD with a knob twist.   Some really interesting things emerge from that single ability, as varying the number of steps can have a huge musical impact on the sequence.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:11:26 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:48:29 AM »

You can accomplish same with the poly sequencer on the Rev2, it works similarly to the sequencer on the P6 and OB6.  I tend to not do this as much on the Rev2 as a matter of habit and what I use each synth for, but its there.

Often, using the sequencer this way is just a starting point.  I usually send the MIDI notes into the DAW for refinement and flexibility.

One feature I'd really enjoy on all of my Sequential synths would be the ability to vary the number of steps in real-time.  I'm able to do this on the Minilogue XD with a knob twist.   Some really interesting things emerge from that single ability, as varying the number of steps can have a huge musical impact on the sequence.

You can't transpose the sequence like an arpeggiator on the fly without having to hold down the record button (or in the case of the P6/OB6 unless it's in Unison mode)

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

You can't transpose the sequence like an arpeggiator on the fly without having to hold down the record button (or in the case of the P6/OB6 unless it's in Unison mode)

Duct tape allows it ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »

I think it makes sense though, if not in unison mode or with some other indicator (holding record), how would the synth know whether you intend to transpose it as opposed to laying notes on top of the sequence?  What is a bit odd is that it doesn't transpose automatically in unison mode on the Rev2 while it does on the others.

You can get some fun sequences using both layer A and B sequencers on the Rev2....If only I could change the pattern length.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 03:28:08 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:46 PM »

I think it makes sense though, if not in unison mode or with some other indicator (holding record), how would the synth know whether you intend to transpose it as opposed to laying notes on top of the sequence?  What is a bit odd is that it doesn't transpose automatically in unison mode on the Rev2 while it does on the others.

You can get some fun sequences using both layer A and B sequencers on the Rev2....If only I could change the pattern length.

Why not the ability to just tap play to start the sequence and then tap record while thr sequence is playing which activates transpose mode?

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:23:05 AM »

Why not the ability to just tap play to start the sequence and then tap record while thr sequence is playing which activates transpose mode?

I can acclimate myself to most types of design decisions like this.  Someone who does UX for a living would probably take the position that current trends dictate that tapping a button should do what the button is labeled to do, while its okay if holding same button down reveals special functionality that is different than the button's intended purpose.

More than anything, I would prefer that, as much as possible, all Sequential synths strive for consistency in how they operate.   This is one reason my three main synths (P6/OB6/Rev2) are all from the same vendor, and my next one almost certainly will be too.  It helps the speed of my workflow when I don't have to constantly switch back and forth between design methodologies.  I get a lot of workflow benefit from the fact that the P6 works very much like the OB6, and to some extent the Rev2 is similar (albeit less immediate).

That being said, if they just make unison mode sequencer play work like it does on the P6/OB6, I think that's good enough.  If they really want to take it to a next level, I think using the Hold button to switch into "transpose mode" on all synths is the most logical choice for this, since it otherwise has no purpose while the sequencer is in play status.

Jonas

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 09:33:47 AM »

I never knew the P-12 had that option, that sounds very useful and would be fun!  Strange it didn't get ported over into another instrument. I used to have a MidiPal from Mutable Instruments which had a full featured arp that would offer 20 different arpeggio patterns which I used with my Oberheim Xk into a Oberheim Matrix 1000. I don't have any of those items anymore though. For my synthpop sessions, my left hand is often controlling an Evolver Keys, Prophet '08, or Pro 2 in an 8th or 16 note arp bass line, and so I'd be delighted to have the option as you mentioned, so as to mix things up a bit. So yeah, it would be nice to see that same customized arpeggiator in a future Sequential instrument or expansion into an older unit. Thanks for letting us know!
DSI/Pioneer: |Tempest|PRO 2|PRO '08|OB-6|MonoEvolverKeys|MophoKeys|Toraiz AS-1|SP-16|
Oberheim: |DMX|DPX-1|Matrix 1000|

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
Arppeg on P12 is nice in what it allows.  A small 4 note, even 3 note , sequence that is transposable on the fly is useful I find.  Pro 2 is like that with it's sequencer.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1