Patch distortion

Patch distortion
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:59:52 AM »
Is it normal that in path like "Losvangelis" or "Velostrings" there is a lot of distortion in the high frequencies? It happens holding the still and long sounds.
Even at low volume.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Patch distortion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:59 AM »
With some sounds you may get an irritating bit of distortion that seems impossible to fix by just lowering the main volume... that is because the clipping is happening in the Curtis chip, not after it where the volume parameter is active... in the manual it says that with high resonance, it may clip, so try lowering the resonance if any, and see if that helps... otherwise there really is no way to lower individual oscillators volume because the volume of each is controlled with a mix parameter and not individual volumes (which is a hardware thing in the chip)...

You can control the volume if you use only one oscillator though, by setting one oscillator to "off", and then control the volume of the other with the oscillator mix parameter, which may help if the program only use one oscillator as an audio source...

Other things you do have control over though are Sub and Noise...

Another source for clipping may be the FX engine... try adjusting the FX mix parameter to see if that helps a bit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:50:32 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:07 AM »
it happens with complex patches just like "losvangelis" even without fx
Is it normal? It's very annoying.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:18 AM »
it happens with complex patches just like "losvangelis" even without fx
Is it normal? It's very annoying.

Try doing a calibration of the REV2, if you have not, and see if that clear things up, it might in some cases... if this do not help, there really is no other solution than trying the few advices I gave above, or consider if you may have a faulty REV2 that needs a fix...

I just checked the LosVangelis program, and I do not hear any distortion at all though, so it might be either your REV2, or you need to calibrate it... I have encountered distortion in the past that went away with a calibration.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:01:33 AM »
Also, I am not sure what you really mean by "distortion"... a soundclip might be good so that we can do a comparison... with very high notes it does get a bit "gritty", but not what I would call "distortion"

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:09 AM »
I calibrated several times.
distortion is present only if I keep the sounds.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »
it sounds like a "frying" sound

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:13:25 AM »
Sounds like you should contact support then... there is no "frying sounds" on my REV2 playing the LosVangelis program.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »
It's entirely possible to have distortion with all of our instruments. We don't limit the output because sometimes things can "break" in interesting ways. In other words, it just gives you more sound design tools. Try lower Amp Envelope Amount and Program Volume, and you can also turn down mod amounts. If that doesn't get you where you want to be feel free to contact our dedicated support channel.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 03:11:37 AM »
It's entirely possible to have distortion with all of our instruments. We don't limit the output because sometimes things can "break" in interesting ways. In other words, it just gives you more sound design tools. Try lower Amp Envelope Amount and Program Volume, and you can also turn down mod amounts. If that doesn't get you where you want to be feel free to contact our dedicated support channel.

I have a question because of what you wrote:

Is there any specific difference (signal path wise) to lowering the Amp Envelope Amount instead of the dedicated Volume parameter? ... as I understand it, some of the clipping situations is because of the Curtis chip and the way it is built right?

Also... as i browsed the printed REV2 manual, I came across an error in the Modulation Destinations because the manual say that there should be a "OSC1 Level" destination... that is not true.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 08:27:50 AM »
Is it normal that in path like "Losvangelis" or "Velostrings" there is a lot of distortion in the high frequencies? It happens holding the still and long sounds.
Even at low volume.

I believe I am having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
Even at low volume.

I believe I am having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I'm not sure if it's the same issue others are having, but I'm able to reproduce distortion on both of these sounds if I have local mode on and I'm monitoring the DAW track at the same time.  The extra volume is enough to produce an over-sizzle on the highs.  If you have local mode in globals turned on, turn it off and see if that's what makes the difference.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

maxter

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
Just turn down the program (layer) volume parameter, and/or the VCA envelope amount.
The Way the Truth and the Life