External Audio Processing! Tips, tricks, best practices?

External Audio Processing! Tips, tricks, best practices?
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
I'm hoping to learn a bit more about how to best use my pro3 for processing external audio.

Maybe I should email the Sequential crew regarding best practices but I figured it could spark some cool conversation here.

I've gotten some fun results while experimenting but I feel like I could get more mileage if I made some improvements to my setup.

Currently I am using the Pro3 as an "External Audio Effect" in Ableton. I have a dedicated patch saved on the Pro3 just for this use.

Template patches like this are super handy. On this template I also have two matching modulations from the envelope follower to cutoff but with their amounts controlled by the fader. It's nice to just turn in this patch and be able to dial that in by ear for a given situation with the fader in one hand and the EF menu settings in the other.

I'm wondering if a reamp box could help as I am getting a fair amount of mid range hum only when using it with with the output of my interface like this. I have to play with the signal chain a bit more but I'm hoping for some thoughts here.

Another thing I'm really curious about is the External Audio gate setting in misc params and it's threshold. I can't for the life of me trigger the envelopes from external audio. I'm stuck droning a key press with the OSC turned down. Anything I'm missing here?

Attached two short early experiments with external processing a guitar. Just having some noisy fun  8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:37:48 PM by philroyjenkins »

Re: External Audio Processing! Tips, tricks, best practices?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 03:39:18 PM »
Two more examples with more typical processing. For all stems of both of these I have the sound routed through the Pro3 for coloration and filtering. Then I bounce to audio and record another track. Fun stuff.

(Sorry for double comment. When I went to edit my OP, the original attachments disappeared.)

W07

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
Haven't experimented with it much, but the SEM state variable filter is amazing on acoustic sources. Combined with some delay and the modulated reverb, shweeet!

Try experimenting with the input gain VS input level. Some signals work better with gain set to max and level very low, others with gain on 0 and level higher.

Strangely, it doesn't seem to play nice with my soundcard headphone output. Easily distorts, it's tricky to get a nice loud signal without dynamic changes clipping.

Oddly best result was going via a preamp in my modular system, and then going with this signal into the Pro3. Seemed to give the best combo of loudness and dynamic range.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
I'm hoping to learn a bit more about how to best use my pro3 for processing external audio.

Maybe I should email the Sequential crew regarding best practices but I figured it could spark some cool conversation here.

I've gotten some fun results while experimenting but I feel like I could get more mileage if I made some improvements to my setup.

Currently I am using the Pro3 as an "External Audio Effect" in Ableton. I have a dedicated patch saved on the Pro3 just for this use.

Template patches like this are super handy. On this template I also have two matching modulations from the envelope follower to cutoff but with their amounts controlled by the fader. It's nice to just turn in this patch and be able to dial that in by ear for a given situation with the fader in one hand and the EF menu settings in the other.

I'm wondering if a reamp box could help as I am getting a fair amount of mid range hum only when using it with with the output of my interface like this. I have to play with the signal chain a bit more but I'm hoping for some thoughts here.

Another thing I'm really curious about is the External Audio gate setting in misc params and it's threshold. I can't for the life of me trigger the envelopes from external audio. I'm stuck droning a key press with the OSC turned down. Anything I'm missing here?

Attached two short early experiments with external processing a guitar. Just having some noisy fun  8)

Two more examples with more typical processing. For all stems of both of these I have the sound routed through the Pro3 for coloration and filtering. Then I bounce to audio and record another track. Fun stuff.

(Sorry for double comment. When I went to edit my OP, the original attachments disappeared.)

I haven't experimented with Ext In on Pro3 yet.  These sound cool though... nice grooves!   

I usually use an outboard rack unit for guitar, but if you're looking to do it all in Ableton, you might try a chain like Gate>Saturator>Amp>Cab>Pro3    Use noise gate to cut out noise/hum, set amp to clean and pick a cabinet of choice, and then adjust saturator/amp gain levels to taste.    The Cab block will take some of the edge off the sound, before hitting the Pro3 for effects/filtering.... or if you want to keep it more full range / chimey, skip the cab and you can just use filtering in the Pro3 to tame it.   That would be my suggestion for a native Ableton chain.

That "Vibin Up Some Breaks" sounds like the start of a good track... reminds me of Massive Attack... good stuff.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
I haven't experimented with Ext In on Pro3 yet.  These sound cool though... nice grooves!   

I usually use an outboard rack unit for guitar, but if you're looking to do it all in Ableton, you might try a chain like Gate>Saturator>Amp>Cab>Pro3    Use noise gate to cut out noise/hum, set amp to clean and pick a cabinet of choice, and then adjust saturator/amp gain levels to taste.    The Cab block will take some of the edge off the sound, before hitting the Pro3 for effects/filtering.... or if you want to keep it more full range / chimey, skip the cab and you can just use filtering in the Pro3 to tame it.   That would be my suggestion for a native Ableton chain.

That "Vibin Up Some Breaks" sounds like the start of a good track... reminds me of Massive Attack... good stuff.
Thanks bud!

Good Ableton chain tips. I'd be curious about that guitar rack unit you have. I've been thinking about building a little something around an Ibanez ue405 lately.

I actually have a little best friend for basic guitar DI. The little orange box on top of the bigger orange box is a Joyo American sound. I'd give one a shot if you see one locally, or the Tech 21 Blonde pedal it is a clone of. I got mine for $30 and I just love the thing.

I'm pretty picky on amp simulations but the Joyo actually feels like an amp with its response to your playing dynamics and pickup / knob settings. I demoed a buddies Strymon Iridium for a short while but came away even happier with the Joyo for the price. Rather than a DSP simulation, I believe its really just a multistage analog drive pedal with a baked in amp sim. But it just delivers IMO.

Attached a short demo of it. I don't change any pedal settings in the whole clip. The only changes are pickup/knob selections and playing style.

Sorry to stray too far from synths but I cannot sing this things praises enough :) . To bring things back to synthland, I've attached some Pro3 dronage. This thing is a beast.