Anyone else having problems with the buttons not working sometimes

jo

• OB-6 Player
Hi Guys

Just started having a problem with my OB-6 where I press the "manual" button and nothing happens. I sometimes need to hit it 3 or 4 times and the light goes on and it switches to manual mode. Also started happening with the other buttons for unison and numerical buttons for selecting patches.

Also sometimes I hit the button and the red light goes on for a tiny flicker of a millisecond but dosn't engage. I keep having to press it several times for it to engage.

Thanks Guys

Re: Anyone else having problems with the buttons not working sometimes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:15:59 PM »
Yes. It's been mentioned before on this forum. DSI used questionable quality TACT switches which can become oxidized with time. The solution is to do exactly what you did: press the temporarily faulty buttons vigorously several times, and the problem should disappear...for a while.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

kris

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Yes. It's been mentioned before on this forum. DSI used questionable quality TACT switches which can become oxidized with time. The solution is to do exactly what you did: press the temporarily faulty buttons vigorously several times, and the problem should disappear...for a while.
Thanks for confirming. I think this is disappointing at a price point, my OB-6 is not even 2 years old and the "4" button from the bank select starts to be non-responsive at times. It is still under guarantee - will they fix it or will they just press the button vigorously several times and send it back to me ;-)?
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
This is what Sequential replied (via email) to another OB6 owner about some buttons not working:

"The next thing to try would be to try a button cleaning routine on the button. To do so, simply press the button 50-100 times with a good deal of force. This usually clears up any intermittent/non operation of a button."

And this is a direct quote reply from Sequential (from 2018) about what I said of the questionable quality of TACT switches used by DSI (now Sequential):

Switches do fail, of course, just like any other component. Tactile switches are pretty simple in their mechanical operation. Like anything that makes a physical electrical connection, the more routinely it's exercised, the better it will perform. Simply by the way they are constructed, these switches are self-cleaning. We use quality parts from trusted manufacturers that are no more prone to failure than any other switches of their type.

In any case, if a switch failure (or any other failure) occurs within the warranty period on a new instrument, we fix it at no cost to the owner. If a failure occurs outside of the warranty period, we fix it for $25, whether you're the original owner or not. This goes for any instrument in our catalog, whether it's still in production or has been discontinued. Yes, we still fix 15 year old Evolvers for $25.

I hope this gives you some confidence in our commitment to keeping our instruments alive and well for the long term.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:36:36 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

kris

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 03:41:08 AM »
This is what Sequential replied (via email) to another OB6 owner about some buttons not working:

Thank you Alain, appreciated! Will press the button a hundred times and see if that helps.
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
You're welcome, Kris. Hope this solves your problem (at least temporarily).  ;D

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:11:13 AM »
The same issue is happening with my new to me Rev 2 8 Voice Keyboard on several buttons.  Hopefully vigorous rapid presses does the trick.  Thank you all for sharing your findings!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
I have the same kind of problem with "0" and "9" but it happened to me before with a synth of a different manufacturer (I can't remember which) and I know that most of the times it gets fixed by clicking it fast 30-40 times. It's not a huge problem for me because I don't use the synth on stage and I don't mind repeating the procedure every 4-5 days, but It's a shame for that kind of synth.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »
I have the same kind of problem with "0" and "9" but it happened to me before with a synth of a different manufacturer (I can't remember which) and I know that most of the times it gets fixed by clicking it fast 30-40 times. It's not a huge problem for me because I don't use the synth on stage and I don't mind repeating the procedure every 4-5 days, but It's a shame for that kind of synth.

Yes, I've had synths from other manufacturers with the same problem. Blame it on poor quality TACT type switches. Those should have been banned years ago. They're not reliable, not comfortable to use, and feel "cheap" anyway. Any kind of mechanical switch that uses the metallic dome convex/concave method of making momentary contact are bound to develop electrical contact problems over time, either by oxidation/dirt accumulating on the surfaces, despite having very optimistic MTBF times from the manufacturers of such switches (supposedly millions of times trouble-free operation in some cases). I've yet to see that in practice from ANY such devices. 

Have I mentioned that I hate TACT switches?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 07:02:52 PM by AlainHubert »

jo

• OB-6 Player
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:00:30 PM »
Thanks everyone, Can confirm mashing the button 100 times a day for a month, has solved the problem and all buttons now seem to work now.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »
Thanks everyone, Can confirm mashing the button 100 times a day for a month, has solved the problem and all buttons now seem to work now.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the follow-up.

I think it's a shame that DSI/Sequential used such notoriously unreliable components on a $3K+ instrument.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
This is good to know!  I have this problem with both Prophet6 and OB6.  I was getting frustrated.  This resolved my issue.  I have to use the buttons more.